Confused need Tech advice

Waynos

had my new PC built and working fine.
so i moved it upstairs where my internet was
so i could update drivers etc..
and it wouldn't turn on.
I have checked every connection,
taken it all back apart and made sure all my connections were done right
and still nothing happens when i turn it on.

i connected the PSU to my old Motherboard and the CPU fan turns on for a second
then right back off
(please note only PSU,front panel,CPU fan,24-pin motherboard connector and 4-pin 12v were connected to test)

I am thinking maybe my PSU might be junk or maybe too weak

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Waynos

Last edited:
The first thing I would do, if you have not already done so, is check the power button on the back of the power supply. As many times as I have built computers, the most common problem I have is that the psu power switch is off or I have failed to connect a cord somewhere.

Psu power switch was my first thought too, it would be easy to turn it off while moving it. Been there, done that.

What is the wattage of the PSU? Anything between 300-500 watts should be more than enough for most systems.

Your power supply should be powerful enough to at least turn on the computer, regardless of whether it's good enough to run a game or not.

After you get done checking the power switch, check the motherboard manual to make sure the case on/off switch is connected to the correct motherboard on/off switch. I've had two motherboards where those connections were mislabeled, and had to resort to the manual to find the right connection.

The very first thing you need to see is if the main board is getting power. You should see an LED indicator on the motherboard - probably the easiest test would be to hook it up with only the PSU and motherboard, no RAM, cards, CPU, etc.

As far as I can tell, you have either:
1) A bad power supply or motherboard on your hands. Which of these is new?
2) Hooked up the PSU incorrectly, which is hard to do
3) Hooked up the power button incorrectly, which is easy to do

I'm thinking third is most likely - seconding checking the manual for the connection.

It is hard to be sure about troubleshooting over the internet, but I will do my best. Your old motherboard, if it was completely functional before, and is still setup in a case powered up for only a second when you pushed the power button, then the most likely problem is your PSU has gone bad. A 500W PSU should be fine with the computer parts I remember you posting on the forums as long as you do not have two video cards, and it should still turn on with two anyways.

Like RyanB said, you might have set up your power button wrong with your new PC; however, if it is partially starting up with a previously known good system, it is much more likely that the PSU is the problem. If you have another PSU just to try, I would recommend that first. You do not even need to take it out of the other computer, put the systems next to each other and just hook up the power to see if it can start the motherboard and CPU.
If that does work, you have a bad PSU.
If it does not work, check the known good PSU on your old system you got the partial power up on.
If it does it work there, you have a bad PSU and your power button is probably setup wrong in your new system.

All of this is assuming you get the same symptoms from the known good PSU. If it is ever a different symptom stop there and post what new information you have.

everything worked after i tore it down and re-assembled..must have been a loose connection i missed before lol

Back