Computer Tech Help Needed

Wh1te Out

Need computer help.

My specs:

Pentium 4 CPU 2.8 GHz
1 GB RAM
DirectX 9.0c
GeForce 7600 GT (256 MB)

The problem I am having is that almost every game (except World of Warcraft III) now has flashing light streaks since I've upgraded my video card. I've downloaded and installed the latest drivers numerous times and still no joy. It's getting annoying and is keeping me from enjoying games. I realized I had a real problem on my hands when this static lightning effect even occurred when running something as low-maintenance as Roller Coaster Tycoon 3.

Please help. I'm going nuts.

Your power supply might be a little weak and not capable of handling the card well. Download something like 3dmark and see if it crashes :p

Yes, that's the driver I have.

I have no earthly idea how to tell you what kind of motherboard and power supply I have. I've attached the Dx Diag file so maybe that will help.

is this a pre-builot machine by gateway or dell or whoever? If so post hte make and model of the mahcine and we can figure out what power suply it has. This sounds like a power issue..if your power supply is too weak that card will never work properly.

Dell Dimension 4700

I was afraid it was a power supply issue. I just don't know how to fix it if it is.

Mate,
Head here put in your service tag and it should tell you everything that's in your PC.

Something else to try since it's a Dell....

Go into the BIOS and see what the Video options are set too...(interface, cahce, mem....) and set them to your video card specs...or as close as possible. It may also be a BIOS update, or a mother board driver.

You'd be surpirsed. It's a little hit or miss depending on the models. I've had some pretty limited, and some that are almost completely open. Either way, it's something to check....more importantly, it doesn't cost anything to check.

You'd be surpirsed. It's a little hit or miss depending on the models. I've had some pretty limited, and some that are almost completely open. Either way, it's something to check....more importantly, it doesn't cost anything to check.
it costs time, the most important commodity

Mate,
Head here put in your service tag and it should tell you everything that's in your PC.

Something else to try since it's a Dell....

Go into the BIOS and see what the Video options are set too...(interface, cahce, mem....) and set them to your video card specs...or as close as possible. It may also be a BIOS update, or a mother board driver.

Okay, here's the service info:

System Summary
shad.gif
Service Tag:HC4R881System Type:Dimension 4700Ship Date:8/23/2005Dell IBU:Americas
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
QuantityParts #Part Description
shad.gif
04X388INSTRUCTION, PREP-MTL, DEVIATION, DIMENSION, INCREASE, NUMBER1FC754PROCESSOR, 80547, PENTIUM 4 PRESCOTT DT, Pentium 4 Prescott DT, 2.8GHZ, 1 MEGB, 533FSB, SOCKET T, E0, MALE17N242KEYBOARD, 104, UNITED STATES, SILITEK, LOW COST, MIDNIGHT GRAY1F4177MOUSE, UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS, 2BTN, WHEEL, ENTRY, LOGITECH, MIDNIGHT GRAY1C6795DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 256, 400M, 32X64, 8, 240, 1RX81F6371KIT, SPEAKER, 120V, NMB, A215, MIDNIGHT GRAY, SHIP IN BOX1X2749MODEM, V.92, DATA FAX, INTERNAL, DONNY, DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION1U9565ASSEMBLY, COMPACT DISK READ WRITE/DIGITAL VIDEO DISK DRIVE COMBO, 48X, HALF HEIGHT, TOSHIBA SAMSUNG STORAGE TECHNOLOGY, CHASSIS 20051U8358ASSEMBLY, FLOPPY DRIVE, 1.44M, 212, TEAC, LEAD FREE1M1294HARD DRIVE, 80GB, S, 7.2K, WD-XL80SD-2, LEAD FREE1CD940KIT, SOFTWARE, WORDPERFECT, 12, PLUS-TRIAL1D5428DISPLAY, FLAT PANEL DISPLAY, 17, DUAL VOLTAGE, E173FPF, MIDNIGHT GRAY, DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION
Now.. how do I get into the BIOS and change it?

Thanks, Cloud. I've done that, got a BIOS update. I'll try it out here soon and cross my fingers. If it was just a power issue I don't know why the problem doesn't occur on games like Warcraft III and Diablo II. Makes me think that one of the higher end settings is causing the issue.

Do this before bios flash. bios flashing sometimes really makes a mess of your computer. My son just flashed his with Dell tech support and it fried the motherboard and they had to come put a new one in.

Unplug your monitor cable and remove and reseat your video card. If you have another monitor cable swap it out. Sometimes it's just your cable/

I think it's one of the settings. World of Warcraft is now the 3rd Blizzard game to run with no problems. I also don't see the flashing light problem when watching DVDs or doing anything else. So it must not be the power.

Back