Computer Savy People, Comeith here imo

Skibabinz

Aight so I'm playing skyrim like a boss, smacking unfortunates with muh trusty greataxe when all of a sudden I get a black screen, followed by horizontal black and blue lines, then finally the dreaded blue screen of death. When my pc powers back on, I get a semi loud humming sound from what looks to be my PSU, which soon stops. I get booted back up and check my CPUID Hardware Monitor software, and find that TMPIN0 is at 42 C, TMPIN1 is at 35 C, and TMPIN2 is at 128 C. While I'm no expert, I can't help but think TMPIN2 shouldn't be anywhere near 128 C, let alone at it.

Help meh!

Aight so I'm playing skyrim like a boss, smacking unfortunates with muh trusty greataxe when all of a sudden I get a black screen, followed by horizontal black and blue lines, then finally the dreaded blue screen of death. When my pc powers back on, I get a semi loud humming sound from what looks to be my PSU, which soon stops. I get booted back up and check my CPUID Hardware Monitor software, and find that TMPIN0 is at 42 C, TMPIN1 is at 35 C, and TMPIN2 is at 128 C. While I'm no expert, I can't help but think TMPIN2 shouldn't be anywhere near 128 C, let alone at it.

Help meh!

Seems like some piece of hardware is failing, either your GPU or PSU. That or you are having cooling issues.

Nothing in your machine should be over 80C, let alone 128C. Comfortable I like to get all my temps under 60C.

Seems like some piece of hardware is failing, either your GPU or PSU. That or you are having cooling issues.

Nothing in your machine should be over 80C, let alone 128C. Comfortable I like to get all my temps under 60C.

See now that does remind me, this past couple of weeks I've been having tremendous issues with my GPU. I would be playing SWTOR, and all of a sudden my monitor would go black, but still be on. This happened semi-frequently until I installed the driver, which included all sorts of useless nonsense ATI had to add in for whatever reason, and it hadn't done anything for a couple days.

TMPIN2 is at 128 C.

Just for reference... that's 262.4 degrees Fahrenheit.

See now that does remind me, this past couple of weeks I've been having tremendous issues with my GPU. I would be playing SWTOR, and all of a sudden my monitor would go black, but still be on. This happened semi-frequently until I installed the driver, which included all sorts of useless nonsense ATI had to add in for whatever reason, and it hadn't done anything for a couple days.

Most of the Catalyst program is not useless. I'm not sure what bloatware you have, but the catalyst fan controls would be beneficial for you under these circumstances.

Here's what I would do:

1) Uninstall all of your graphics card drivers through any means possible (e.g. use the device manager and uninstall the drivers that way and use the traditional uninstall feature to get rid of everything else; whatever you do, don't go find files and delete them).

2) After you do that restart your computer and install the catalyst control suite.

3) In the catalyst control suite, use the manual fan control and turn it above where it normally should be, don't let it regulate itself.

If this fixes it then the drivers you had were borked and you may try to let the new drivers control the fans on your video card, if the issue is not fixed I'd investigate the card further.

Other people seem to be having this issue.

Here's what I would do:

1) Uninstall all of your graphics card drivers through any means possible (e.g. use the device manager and uninstall the drivers that way and use the traditional uninstall feature to get rid of everything else; whatever you do, don't go find files and delete them).

2) After you do that restart your computer and install the catalyst control suite.
I recommend running Driver Sweeper between steps 1 and 2. I've used it a few times and it's helped (though not fully resolved) an issue I've been having with my laptop video card throwing artifacts and resetting the display driver but only when I'm on battery power (never when I'm plugged in).

i had this happen with a machine I custom built for a guy. Is your card a HIS by chance?

Just to update, after nothing happening for about 5-6 days, I'm playing Skyrim when all of a sudden my screen goes black, with green lines. I decided to download the latest driver from ATI, again, this time while uninstalling everything including the cataclyst control center, and the driver. I reinstalled the new file I just downloaded which included both, and so far so good. Of course there is the constant issue with catalyst control center, in that since I built my PC, it has ALWAYS crashed...every time it attempts to open, I get the error "CCC has stopped working".

Edit: It has since crashed again, this time giving me a black screen with what looked to be a sort of green ish glow from the bottom of the screen. I do believe I'll be shopping for a new card before the day is out.

Last edited:
Back