Computer Problems

Dark Virtue

Out of the blue, my wife's computer stopped booting, coming up with a "error loading operating system".

Anyone know how to fix this?

I tried reinstalling Win XP Pro, but get the same error.

Any ideas? If not, I'll have to hit up the Geek Squad this weekend.

ive seen the proplem before and seen the fix but i cant remember it >_< srry

Out of the blue, my wife's computer stopped booting, coming up with a "error loading operating system".

Anyone know how to fix this?

I tried reinstalling Win XP Pro, but get the same error.

Any ideas? If not, I'll have to hit up the Geek Squad this weekend.
yes..go into the bios and change the boot order to the hdd being first. The bios is not waiting long enough for whatever the first boot device is to tell it there's nothing there and it falls over. So change the boot order to hdd first then cd-rom.

yes..go into the bios and change the boot order to the hdd being first. The bios is not waiting long enough for whatever the first boot device is to tell it there's nothing there and it falls over. So change the boot order to hdd first then cd-rom.

That's the way it's been set up, so that's not going to work :(

I need to create a boot disk for it...but my computer doesn't have a floppy drive LOL

I'll have to create one on Monday at work because I don't have any floppies either :p

Last edited:
I'll have to create one on Monday at work because I don't have any floppies either :p
Do you have a CD burner? If so, I'd recommend downloading and burning one of the Live CDs listed on The LiveCD List. Burn one of these CDs, stick it in the drive, reboot, set your PC to boot from CD before booting to a HDD, reboot again, and load the Live CD. Most popular choices will mount NTFS drives and give you a way to view and edit the files on your boot HDD.

Thanks Tek, but the majority of those programs were Linux...which is no good to me :)

I MAY be making some headway though. I changed the way my HD's access data from AUTO to LBA and my Windows Recovery finally proceeded to the installation phase.

Hopefully that will take care of everything.

Thanks Tek, but the majority of those programs were Linux...which is no good to me :)

I MAY be making some headway though. I changed the way my HD's access data from AUTO to LBA and my Windows Recovery finally proceeded to the installation phase.

Hopefully that will take care of everything.
that's the point. I have used knoppix(linux that runs from the cd-rom drive) to repair more windows formatted drives than i can shake a stick at..:)

The day linux is on my machine is the day I attend Sunday Mass :p

And let's not talk about the day I buy a Mac.

Anyhoo...

The computer looks like it's ok, unfortunately I lost all my user accounts and there aren't any programs listed under my start button anymore (although they're still installed on the HD and the ones I tried still seems to work).

I'm just going to have to spend some time and clean it up.

Thanks everyone for your help, it's much appreciated!

If anyone needs any residential or swimming pool design info, let me know :)

Back