Computer Help?

Melinarlia

So I haven't been able to run WAR very well for awhile. I've had my computer do a complete restart in the middle of playing several times. I lag so badly that I'm constantly watching a slideshow even when I'm by myself and just traveling down the road. I figure it's probably time to replace some parts in my computer. BUT, I've never really looked at what's a good part/what's a bad part. So for all of you who know something about computer parts...please help. =)

I was looking at this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130378). It's not a bad price but other than that and the memory on it, I don't know what else to look for.

Thanks in advance!

Right after you turn on your computer, open the task manager and see which applications are running and check how much memory they are taking up.

Then google which applications you absolutely need from the services screen (its inside administrative tools, which is in the control panel).

How much RAM do you have? Can you get more? What kind of video card do you have?

I have a Radeon x850XT, which is almost 3 years old now and it runs the game just fine. This leads me to believe that you don't need a new video card just yet, but I don't know what you have.

Check the task manager first though.

Last edited:
What are the specifications of the machine you are currently using?

• Operating System?
    • Windows XP 32 bit
    • Windows XP 64 bit
    • Windows Vista 64 bit

• RAM?
    • 512 Megs
    • 1 gig
    • 2 gigs
    • 4 gigs

• CPU cores?
    • single core
    • dual core
    • quad core

• CPU speed?
    • 1000 MHz per processor
    • 2000 MHz per processor
    • 3000 MHz per processor

• Video Card?
    • model number / total RAM

Once we understand what you have, it is easier to know what you need. :)

I'm not 100% sure of all of these because I bought this machine from my friend about a year ago. She had it for over a year before I got it.

What are the specifications of the machine you are currently using?

• Operating System?
    • Windows XP 32 bit
    • Windows XP 64 bit
    • Windows Vista 64 bit

• RAM?
    • 512 Megs
    • 1 gig
    • 2 gigs
    • 4 gigs

• CPU cores? Have no idea for this one...
    • single core
    • dual core
    • quad core

• CPU speed?
    • 1000 MHz per processor
    • 2000 MHz per processor
    • 3000 MHz per processor

• Video Card?
    • model number / total RAM
    • nVidia 8600(?) GT / I think it's 256

Once we understand what you have, it is easier to know what you need. :)

Granted I'm at work right now so these are all off the top of my head.

Thanks for the info :)

As for the 'CPU Cores' option, I should give an explanation.

If you go to your start menu.
Right click on my computer.
Select the Properties option on the right click menu.
A Windows Form should pop up.
One of the tabs on that form is called 'General', click it.
You should get something that looks like this picture:
http://www.cgalliance.org/forums/album.php?albumid=8&pictureid=14

Notice the area I circled with red.
It says - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU - aka the machine I am using has a dual core CPU.
So what does that area say on your machine?

Even if you have the best Video card in the land, a slow Processor and low RAM will lead to problems.
The new Video card idea will probably help. Also try and throw in an extra Gig of RAM if you can.

And a some people, even with TOP END machines, are having trouble with this game.
So don't feel to bad :)

Last edited:
I have a machine very similiar to yours, even have the same graphics card, I upgraded to 2g of memory and it made allllll the difference in the world.

Once I upgraded, now I can see War uses over 1g so going to 2 was huge!!!

I would recomend Gskill from newegg, I think I got my 2g set for $70. Just make sure you match up the speed, for instance mine was like pc3200? 400mhz, if you don't know you can check your manufacturers website, or check best buy, you can enter your computer there and they will try to match up the memory.

I'm not 100% sure of all of these because I bought this machine from my friend about a year ago. She had it for over a year before I got it.

Granted I'm at work right now so these are all off the top of my head.
goto belarc.com and download and install that program. it will tell you everything we and you need to know about your system..:)

It sounds like you need more ram.

Try to get another gig in there.

Your computer's wayyy to new to have to have an overhaul!

:D

I chose 1 gig of memory as a safety. I don't know for sure and I got sucked into a Law & Order mini-marathon after work/during dinner so then it was time to call the boyfriend and get forced to watch the new South Park over the phone with him and then I felt I had to play Guitar Hero: World Tour at least a little to unlock more stuff. Then it was time to go to bed. Needless to say, I didn't get to look into my computer specs more last night. Maybe tonight....

I chose 1 gig of memory as a safety. I don't know for sure and I got sucked into a Law & Order mini-marathon after work/during dinner so then it was time to call the boyfriend and get forced to watch the new South Park over the phone with him and then I felt I had to play Guitar Hero: World Tour at least a little to unlock more stuff. Then it was time to go to bed. Needless to say, I didn't get to look into my computer specs more last night. Maybe tonight....

So many things to say/make fun of so little time....

I KNOW! I'm also going to be MIA for all/most of this weekend too cuz I'll be at a Trunk or Treat thing for the church I've been going to, then off to a social dance with my old ballroom team who's in town for a competition in DC. Then I'll be watching the competition on Saturday but I have my last cake decorating class that day too so I'll be driving to that and then back to the competition. Then I'll just want to sleep on Sunday after church. X_x

I see from your original post that your computer is PCI Express 2.0 capable.

That card is affordable in your original post, but probably may not be good enough as it has DDR2 memory in its title.

Try and shoot for this:
GDDR3 memory
G92 chip
192 bit memory interface
96 Unified Shaders

Examples of cards that do very well in WAR are the GeForce 8800 series.

What is the difference in the DDR2 vs DDR3?

Also is 512 MB memory enough or if we are spending the money on a new one, go for a 1 GB memory?

I was looking at the GeForce 8800 but can't seem to find it in anything but the 512 MB. So then was looking at the 9800 1GB. What is yall opinion.

I have a GeForce 7300 LE 512MB now and I am about to replace it.

What is the difference in the DDR2 vs DDR3?
DDR3 is faster than DDR2 ram.

Also is 512 MB memory enough or if we are spending the money on a new one, go for a 1 GB memory?
Are you talking about a video card's ram or system ram? System ram you need at least 2 gigs to run anything anymore. My laptop (which has Vista... start your hissing now...) has 2 gigs and WAR runs on it, but that's just about it. I have also noticed that when the game is running it is using 800 megs to 1 gig of memory! You need at least 2 gigs.

I was looking at the GeForce 8800 but can't seem to find it in anything but the 512 MB. So then was looking at the 9800 1GB. What is yall opinion.
I think 512 should be enough, but I have not looked at video cards in ages. Usually with computers "more" and "faster" are better.

Also, be sure you get your hardware from a reputable company... good memory manufacturers that I know of are Corsair and Kingston.

Last edited:
DDR3 is faster than DDR2 ram.

Are you talking about a video card's ram or system ram? System ram you need at least 2 gigs to run anything anymore. My laptop (which has Vista... start your hissing now...) has 2 gigs and WAR runs on it, but that's just about it. I have also noticed that when the game is running it is using 800 megs to 1 gig of memory! You need at least 2 gigs.

I think 512 should be enough, but I have not looked at video cards in ages. Usually with computers "more" and "faster" are better.

Also, be sure you get your hardware from a reputable company... good memory manufacturers that I know of are Corsair and Kingston.
1. DDR3 has more bandwidth than ddr2 but has higher latency..there's a tradeoff.

2. 512 megs per card is fine..actually unless you run resolutions above 1900x1200 OR 8x AA AND 8x or higher AF it's overkill

3. Vista requires two gigs..I actually run fine here on 1.5(xp) and genesis runs fine on 1 gig(xp)

4. Modern graphics cards require a cpu that's fast enough to keep it fed..otherwise the graphics card will wait on the rest of the system..which means lowered performance. If you aren't running a dual core 2.8 ghz or higher your aren't going to keep that card properly fed.

5. Another area of performance is the hard disk. Don't use bios raid as it's fake raid done through software which is managed by the cpu..this means the cpu has to now manage the hard drives(taking away time from other system functions..and defeating the purpose of drive DMA). If you HAVE to have raid get a 3ware controller card.

6. 10k rpm sata drives make a large difference in system performance as well..15k is overkill for a desktop.

7. on the video card..if you want performance go for 256 bit memory interfaces..not 128 bit..that's half the bandwidth and for a video card bandwidth is key. Look to spend at least $100..don't cheap out here.

8. Modern computers require minimum 400 Watt psu's..no so much for the continuous power but for hte surge power that moderns systems use when they first fire up. Don't cheap out here either.

Last edited:
I was talking video ram. My computer has 3gig of system ram.

Edited to add....
My system...
Dell XPS
Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80Ghz
2.79 GHz, 3.00 GB of RAM

Does that help?

Last edited:
Back