Computer Freezing Inevitably After Booting >:(

I don't know the cause... I installed my new printer/scanner/copier and when it finished the actual install it asked if I wanted a toolbar for my web browser... When I tried to click no, I discovered that my mouse did not move. assuming that the issue was simply a faulty mouse, I brushed off the mouse and continued trying to move it. At that point, I realized that the computer was completely frozen. I rebooted, and shortly after booting XP, the computer froze again. After various tries, I have determined that the most pertinant issue is the McAfee anti-virus Privacy Service warning, which seems to be the last thing my computer does before dying. If I leave that open, the computer freezes after an extremely short time, never quite loading the actual contents of the window (only the frame). If I take it off (no X; I have to use the Task Manager), the computer freezes immediately. Unfortunately, I can't seem to force this notice not to appear, and McAfee tends to re-open after I close it anyway (???). All this happens within about 30 seconds, so if I'm to remedy the problem, I'm on a stupid time schedule.

Any suggestions on how to stop McAfee and its Privacy Service message from opening on start-up?

(Also, would the failure to complete setup on the printer's installation [after completing the actual installation] have anything to do with this? After all, the McAfee thing could have been the reason for the first freeze as well...)

BTW: until the issue is resolved, no Photoshop, Printer/Scanner/Copier, and no GW... Please help ;)

Safe mode is an idea. It may be wise (if that doesn't work) to use safe mode to exterminate McAfee and research the problem outside of safe mode. If all else fails call McAfee and ask them about it and if they beat around the bush the I would thin that the only solution would be to reformat. >.< and that sucks I hate reformatting. I have my entire computer on disks all over my desk from the last time. I have a really bad computer. I built it a while ago haha I use a P3. Anyway, that's about all the advice I can give.

problem solved

FYI: if i had remembered that F8 was safe mode (which would have been easier to remember if F2 and F12 options were not the only ones listed in the corner of the screen during boot up...), i would have probably fixed the problem and not posted here :p

i get to keep the printer stuff :3

(although now i have to figure out which item in MSConfig Startup is my touchpad mouse, so i can bring back my scrolling capabilities x_x)

Back