Commitment whats it mean?

Jeshurun

I commit my life to Christ.
I am committed to follow whatever happens right through to the end.
To me comittment means to finish what I start no matter how difficult.

As a christian I commit all things to God.

A great example also is a marriage that lasts a life time.
Regardless of what happens they remain together through thick or thin.

There are many different committments that one has throughout this life.

Psalms 37:5 "Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him, and he will act."

Proverbs 16:3 "Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be establised."

Acts 20:32 "Now I commit you to God and to the word of his grace, which can build you up and give you an inheritence among all those who are sanctified."

Acts 4:19 "Therefore let those who suffer according to God's will do right and entrust(commit) their souls to a faithful Creator."

So I can only say that one who is committed is loyal to the end.

Each one us needs to search our own selfs and ask 'am I a committed person one who sees things through to the finish?'

As servants of the Living God we do all things as unto the Lord whatever those committments may be.

Last edited:
Good post Jeshurun!

There's more scripture that pertains to this as well in Luke 14 :)
Luke 14
25Large crowds were traveling with Jesus, and turning to them he said: 26"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple. 27And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.
28"Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Will he not first sit down and estimate the cost to see if he has enough money to complete it? 29For if he lays the foundation and is not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule him, 30saying, 'This fellow began to build and was not able to finish.'

31"Or suppose a king is about to go to war against another king. Will he not first sit down and consider whether he is able with ten thousand men to oppose the one coming against him with twenty thousand? 32If he is not able, he will send a delegation while the other is still a long way off and will ask for terms of peace. 33In the same way, any of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be my disciple.

34"Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? 35It is fit neither for the soil nor for the manure pile; it is thrown out.
"He who has ears to hear, let him hear."

It's very important that when we make a decision we have the means to back it up..I mean, I could say I'll build, say, a youth centre, but without funds this just ain't gonna happen-lol

'Tis even MORE important to reckon the cost of being Jesus' disciple :eek:

Is there ever a time when it's accetable to break a commitment?

What if your commitment is misdirected?

To answer your first question "Yes"
An example would be say a husband that has been having affairs and his wife finds out about it.
That I say would we be grounds for her to break the marriage committment.

In your second question are you asking/saying that after you made the committment you realized you made a mistake in committing yourself to whatever it is.

I can only say does the words "humble yourself" mean anything to you.

Do you have comments from your personal expierence on the topic at hand?

To answer your first question "Yes"
An example would be say a husband that has been having affairs and his wife finds out about it.
That I say would we be grounds for her to break the marriage committment.

In your second question are you asking/saying that after you made the committment you realized you made a mistake in committing yourself to whatever it is.

I can only say does the words "humble yourself" mean anything to you.

Do you have comments from your personal expierence on the topic at hand?

I don't think there are necessarily two separate points here.

To use your analogy, how would you feel if you realized that your spouse was cheating on you? Sounds humbling to me.

My comments were directed at what you said in your post, "I am committed to follow whatever happens right through to the end.
To me comittment means to finish what I start no matter how difficult."

There are times when it's not prudent to follow a commitment to the end.

Each one us needs to search our own selfs and ask 'am I a committed person one who sees things through to the finish?'

As servants of the Living God we do all things as unto the Lord whatever those committments may be.
We are not to search ourselves!
This will only pull up garbage, at best..

This is not scripturally based Jeshurun..

For God does say..
Psalm 139:23-24
3Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
How can we keep our eyes on Jesus if we're too preoccupied looking at ourselves Jeshurun..
1 Corinthians 2:15
But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
1 Corinthians 4:3
3But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man's judgment: yea, I judge not mine own self.
John 12:47
47And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not:for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Jesus died for you my precious brother!
Let us therefore look to the author and perfector of our faith! :cool:

Zeena... PLease be careful here. We are here to discuss the issue, not the person. PLease be careful that your posts are directed at everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think there are necessarily two separate points here.

To use your analogy, how would you feel if you realized that your spouse was cheating on you? Sounds humbling to me.

My comments were directed at what you said in your post, "I am committed to follow whatever happens right through to the end.
To me comittment means to finish what I start no matter how difficult."

There are times when it's not prudent to follow a commitment to the end.

Yes and my response was directed at your questions so whats your point?
Hey I was simply trying to answer your two questions with the best of my ability.
Why would a person feel humbled by their spouse cheating on them? Maybe you would but not everyone else might.
My analogy was in response to your first question and is completely seperate from your second question.
I simply summed up my answer to your second question with "humble yourself" but it seems you took it for yourself personally. Not everything you read here is about you.
However you seem to enjoy finding them together so have at it if it makes you feel superior.
As for my question for you thanks for answering it.:)

Last edited:

How can we keep our eyes on Jesus if we're too preoccupied looking at ourselves Jeshurun..

You know Zeena your wrong and heres the word of God to prove it.

Philippians 2:12 "Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling."

This is self examination to evaluate ones heart to see if improvement needs to be done and no I'm not saying that one earns his savation by works.
Salvation takes committment and is not merely a gift recieved once for all: it is itself an ongoing process in which the believer is strenuously involved -(Matt.24:13; 1 Cor.9:24-27; Heb.3:14; Heb.6:9-11; 2 Peter 1:5-8) - the process of committment, perservance, spiritual growth and maturation.
We work out our savation with God's help and not because of doubt or anxiety; rather, the reference is to an active reverance and a singleness of purpose in response to God's grace.:)

This post continues with my previous post in response to you Zeena.

The following scriptures continue to declare [your argument] is wrong Zeena.

Lamentations 3:40 "Let us test and examine our ways, and return to the Lord!"

2 Cor.13:5 "Examine yourselves, to see whether you are holding to your faith. Test yourselves. Do you not realize that Jesus Christ is in you?- unless indeed you fail to meet the test!"

We are not to search ourselves Huh? I leave you with the best example for last and it is a commandment for the Lord's Supper in 1 Cor 11:17-34.
1 Cor. 11:28 "Let a man examine himself, before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup."

Search ones self, examine ones self means the same thing.
Next time do your research please. :)

Careful here. You are debating the topic, not the person.

Last edited:
Yes and my response was directed at your questions so whats your point?
Hey I was simply trying to answer your two questions with the best of my ability.
Why would a person feel humbled by their spouse cheating on them? Maybe you would but not everyone else might.
My analogy was in response to your first question and is completely seperate from your second question.
I simply summed up my answer to your second question with "humble yourself" but it seems you took it for yourself personally. Not everything you read here is about you.
However you seem to enjoy finding them together so have at it if it makes you feel superior.
As for my question for you thanks for answering it.:)

Hmmm...you quoted me in your thread and directed our answer me to...how was I not supposed to take it personally? :)

And I didn't mean to suggest that a person should feel humble at having their spouse cheat on them, I said it would be a humbling experience. Slight difference there.

Humble: marked by meekness or modesty - not arrogant or prideful

Humble: low or inferior, feel shame

Two definitions to contend with.

Neither believer nor sinner, can genuinely appreciate the complete worthlessness, wickedness, and defilement of the flesh as viewed by God unless he is shown by the Holy Spirit. Only when God by His Spirit has revealed to man the true condition of the flesh as God sees it will man then deal with his flesh.

If a child of God faithfully and honestly believes in God and sincerely entreats the Holy Spirit to reveal God's holiness to him so that he may know his flesh in that light, the Spirit certainly will do so. Henceforth he may perhaps be spared many sufferings. But such believers are few. Most trust in their own method, assuming that they are not that bad after all. In order to correct this incorrect assumption, the Holy Spirit patiently leads believers into experiencing little by little the futility of their own devices.

The flesh must die. This is God's way. Not through any other avenue but death is it to be. We would prefer to tame the flesh by striving, by changing it, by exercising the will, or by innumerable other means; but God's prescription is death. If the flesh is dead, are not all problems automatically solved? The flesh is not to be conquered; it is to die. This is most reasonable when considered in relation to how we became flesh in the first place: "that which is born of the flesh is flesh." We became flesh by being born of it. Now the exit simply follows the entrance. The way of possessing is the way of losing. Since we became flesh by being born of the flesh, it naturally follows that we shall be freed from it if the flesh dies. Crucifixion, is the one and only way. "For he who has died is freed from sin" (Rom. 6.7). Anything less than death is insufficient. Death is the only salvation.

The flesh is most defiled (2 Peter 2.10-22); God accordingly does not attempt to change it. There is no method of deliverance other than to put it to death. Even the precious blood of the Lord Jesus cannot cleanse the flesh. We find in the Bible how His blood washes our sin but never washes our flesh. It must be crucified (Gal. 5.24). The Holy Spirit can not reform the flesh; therefore He will not dwell in the midst of sinful flesh. His abiding in the believer is not for the purpose of improving, but for warring against, the flesh (Gal. 5.17). "It (the holy anointing oil which is a type of the Holy Spirit) shall not be poured upon the bodies of ordinary men" (Ex. 30.32). If such be the case, how absurd for us frequently to pray that the Lord will make us good and loving so that we may serve Him! How vain is that hope which aims at a holy position some day wherein we may be daily with the Lord and are able to glorify Him in all things! Indeed, we should never attempt to repair the flesh in order to make it cooperate with the Spirit of God. The flesh is ordained to death. Only by consigning the flesh to the cross may we be liberated from being enslaved permanently by it.

There's more than two. Consider adjectives vs verbs.

Either way, I think I clarified myself.

Oh I got pwned.

I only posted the 2 because the first was the one you used, and the ladder what was I was reading it as. Or maybe the other way around.

:D

Anyways... Um...

I didn't read any of the really really long posts or anything, but I do remember reading in (I think) Proverbs that you should never make a promise you can't keep. Therefore, as long as it doesn't conflict with your faith or morals or anyone else's rights, then you've gotta stick to it.

Back