Cloth Set: Intellect, +Damage, +Shadow Damage

Neirai the Forgiven

Christian Guilds List Manager
This kit is intended for a Shadow damage cloth wearer --either a shadow priest or a shadow specced warlock. As usual, it involves mainly those items that can be attained without stepping foot in any 20+ man instances.

Head: Crimson Felt Hat -- Drops in Strat Dead

Neck: Dark Advisor's Pendant -- Drops off of Vectus in Scholomance (the professer guy in the room with all the non-hostile mobs)

Shoulder: Burial Shawl -- World Drop in Scholomance. While you are waiting for this to show up, you may want to grab the (slightly weaker) shoulders that drop off of Rattlegore.

Chest: Robe of Winter Night -- Get this made. It will prolly be pricey, tho :(

Wrist: Sublime Wristguards -- These drop off of two of the guards in Dire Maul: North... they are pretty rare though.

Gloves: Hands of Power -- These drop off of the quartermaster in LBRS.

Belt: Thuzadin Sash -- These drop off the 'spider boss' in Strat Dead.

Pants: Skyshroud Leggings -- These drop off of Highlord Omokk in LBRS.

Boots: Maleki's Footwraps -- Maleki in Strat Dead.

Rings: 2x Maiden's Circle -- These are a world drop. It is probably best to just buy them.

Trinket: Briarwood Reed -- This is a common drop off of Jed Runewatcher in UBRS.

Trinket: Burst of Knowledge -- This drops off of Ambassador Flamelash in BRD.

Weapons: In your main hand, Scepter of the Unholy -- It drops off of the Baron in Strat Dead.
In your other hand, the Umbral Crystal -- that is a rather low-level world drop, so watch the Auction House for it -- it is rather rare.
For your wand, use Skul's Ghastly Touch -- it drops off of a boss who spawns between Strat Live and Dead.. if you are lucky.

With this kit, you should get a significant boost to your shadow damage output, and quite a bit to your other spells too.

Hmm the gloves may well be much better....

The Wand, on the other hand... Skul's wand is shadow damage, which is better for a priest, as they get inherrent bonuses (such as Vampiric Embrace) to shadow damage. :)

I thought I would point out one small thing regarding the last post... while a wand does increase your shadow damage overall. It does not cause you to be healed or party memebers for 20% of the wand damage done. VE only works for damage done by your own spells, but the increased damage from the item itself will contribute to the 20% healed when casting MF, MB or SWPain.

Shadow damage is pretty impressive though... with most of those items and a few I have managed to get you can acquire around +290 shadow damage.

MindBlasts: 917/1376 (not bad for a 1.5 sec cast)
MindFlays: 266 per second for 3 seconds
SWPain: 266 per 3 second tic

This of course is in shadowform. Last time I played Perin(I think he is around +180 Shadow Damage) he was getting MB crits just over 1200+ and his Mindflays/SWPain were around 240 ish.

Having a Shadow Priest and Warlock dishing it out would be a scarey thing to see. As Shadow Priests spells increase all shadow damage against the target by 15% and if I recall Warlocks have something similar (not sure how much though)... but thinking of Deed(for example) having a 15% dps improvement is kind of nasty.

However, I am now a rogue and cannot think of such things :)

I'm not very familiar with the shadow tree so please excuse my ignorance.:eek:

How does the shadow priest compare with that of a warlock or mage as far as damage capacity is concerned? I've never seen a shadow priest anywhere near the top of the damage meters in the upper instances, yet I often see locks and mages up there.

In MC, ZG it always seems to be a battle between rogues & mages for DPS, with the rogue getting the edge due to their sustained dps capability. Mages win the 10/15 man areas due to their superior AoE capabilites.

Does a shadow spec'd priest have comparable healing capacity as a Disc/Holy spec'd preist? To my knowledge I've never been out healed by a shadow priest. I have been out healed by some 17 year olds who seem to have the capability to do homework, watch TV, listen to MP3's, eat, AND play WoW all at the same time :rolleyes: It ain't fair I tell ya!

Shadow priest spec is for two things-

1. Leveling- Solo grinding with a shadow priest is one of the best way to get to 60 in terms of enjoyment and lack of down time.

2. PvP- Often called melting faces, SHadow priest speced and equiped correctly can damage with mages and warlocks and have a 15% bonus when in shadow form. Oh, then they can drop out of shadow and heal themselves.

In shadow form in PvP instances, I can take a great deal of damage while the casters and warriors finish off the other cloth wearers.

If you want to do MC, BWL or those and be uber healer then don't go shadow. I can heal with the best disc/holy priest, but I cannot last nearly as long.

As a shadow priest, I can still heal fine in UBRS, LBRS, Strat, SM, and the likes. I cannot do a 15 man raid as the only priest, like I could as a holy/disc. But that is just showing off.

What criteria do you use to figure out whether they have "out-healed" you? I try to be very careful not to get competitive with the healing meter part of damage meter because it can be very misleading...I may be great at continual heal spamming but very ineffective to whom I've healed or why or at conserving my mana for a critical spot in a battle where everyone may die if I don't have mana (nasty AoE for example). Is there a better healer meter than the damage meter to tell whether someone has "over healed"? Believe me I was rather shocked the first time I went to UBRS with a retrib pally who got some amazing numbers on the healing meter..it seemed like he was out healing me until we got into some critical areas where our whole party was getting slammed..then I quickly caught up and passed him.

Obediah said:
I'm not very familiar with the shadow tree so please excuse my ignorance.:eek:

How does the shadow priest compare with that of a warlock or mage as far as damage capacity is concerned? I've never seen a shadow priest anywhere near the top of the damage meters in the upper instances, yet I often see locks and mages up there.

In MC, ZG it always seems to be a battle between rogues & mages for DPS, with the rogue getting the edge due to their sustained dps capability. Mages win the 10/15 man areas due to their superior AoE capabilites.

Does a shadow spec'd priest have comparable healing capacity as a Disc/Holy spec'd preist? To my knowledge I've never been out healed by a shadow priest. I have been out healed by some 17 year olds who seem to have the capability to do homework, watch TV, listen to MP3's, eat, AND play WoW all at the same time :rolleyes: It ain't fair I tell ya!

You won't see a Priest up towards the top of the damage list in large raids due to they will be healing and not doing damage.

Yes, the healing is comparible in a Disc/Holy Priest to a Disc/Shadow Priest. The Holy tree isn't that great right now so that's why they are comparable. Since the Priest class is getting revised in the WoW Patch 1.10, the Holy Tree is suppose to be upgraded to hopefully make us the best healers in the game........again. (About time, thanks Bliz.)

I haven't compared numbers to compare a Shadow Priest to a Lock/Mage. Locks are more of a DoT class so even though they are Shadow, I don't like to compare the two, but that's just me. In a Shadow Priest vs a Mage, I would think the Mage would out damge the Priest everything as long as they are Fire speced.

In the SGA we have a shadow speccd priest who is often encouraged (by fellow healers anyway) to melt faces in ZG. Occasionally he has to switch to a healing role in the major boss battles. Seems to me that when he is "permitted" to deal dmg rather than heal he is one of the top 3 or 4 on the dmg meter...and usually that list includes a rather awesome warlock and a rather incredibly awesome mage. <== are ya feeling the love? :)

I feel the love :) From my MC and ZG experience, I have only come across one shadow spec priest and he is often behind the mage and lock by a considerable amount. Just my two cents ...

Last edited:
[7F]North said:
What criteria do you use to figure out whether they have "out-healed" you? I try to be very careful not to get competitive with the healing meter part of damage meter because it can be very misleading... Is there a better healer meter than the damage meter to tell whether someone has "over healed"? Believe me I was rather shocked the first time I went to UBRS with a retrib pally who got some amazing numbers on the healing meter..it seemed like he was out healing me until we got into some critical areas where our whole party was getting slammed..then I quickly caught up and passed him.

I only have damage meters, but one of the pallies in my other guild has a differnt tracker that also keeps up with % overhealed. I'll get the name of his tracker and post it.

No, meters don't neccessarily prove who the better healer is, but it can absolutely be used to measure healing capacity (clinical tests so to speak), and to monitor what's going on within a raid. If you have 5 priests with relatively the same healing capacity yet, 1 of the priests (or more) is substantially below the rest on the healing meters, and folks are dying.. then it's time to start asking some questions.

Being a good healer isn't about being #1 on the meters. It means smart mana conservation, good decisions regarding who needs what kind of heals and when. Being a good healer (like all other classes) means staying alert to what's going on throughout the group/raid, and being resourcefull in emergency situations. Meters don't do so good at measuring those kinds of things :)

I tend to use my meters to detect if players are not pulling any weight on a run. If a player doesnt show up on ANY of the meters by more than 10%, there has got to be a reason for that... Obviously, if he is functioning as a mobile cleanse factory, that would be why --- but I have run with priests who CLAIM to be healing, but the mage is outhealing them.......... :p

Icthus said:
One statement for that priest... /ignore

I was thinking around the lines of right click, uninvite. Then /1 Looking for Priest for __________ instance. PST please.

:D

Haha. I should chime in more often. This thread has exploded. Warlocks have a talent for +100% to crit damage. That's a biggie. There is another talent that gives +15% to the next 4 sources of shadow damage after a crit with Shadow Bolt (main warlock DD spell)...though this rarely comes into play since most mobs only last about 7 seconds in a good raid group, hardly time to get off more than a couple of shadow bolts.

With +damage gear, a crit, the 15% bonus, and curse of shadow (shadow resistance debuff) Shadow Bolt crits of 3700 on NPC mobs are not uncommon. (I hear they are higher on players since most have poor shadow resistance). Not bad for a 2.5 second spell. Chase that with a Shadow Burn (instacast, can crit for 1900+), a Death Coil (instacast and fear effect for three seconds, 600 damage), and by then there is a chance you can get a nightfall (allows instacast of Shadow Bolt) and fire off a Shadow Bolt that may crit again for 3000. When all the stars align and you can do 10000+ damage in under 4 seconds (curse you global cooldowns!) it's a good good feeling.

Warlock vs shadow priest, I think the lock has the upper hand. More versitile spells, pets, and more mana effecient. I don't get to use the wide range of lock capabilities since I don't PvP, but a lock in the background with mages and rogues DPSing...you could really tear up a group of horde.

Damage\healing meters are confined to the proximaty of the person doing the recording. If you are not close enough for your actions to come up in the recorders combat log, then the meter will simply not catch said persons actions. I've seen comparative logs that showed me number 1 for healing in an MC raid, number 2, 3, 4 and 5 all in the same raid, recorded by different players with 100,000 healing difference between them. People who want to top these charts (healing or damage) often do it at the expense of the party\raid.

I ran MC a few times with one guild that flat out prohibited posting a damage\healing chart while in MC. Doing so was cause for being kicked from the raid.

As for the +healing\+damage +intel gear, how does it stack up against the blue PvP gear, including grabing rewards from the battlegrounds to fill in the neglected spots?

example42 said:
Warlock vs shadow priest, I think the lock has the upper hand. More versitile spells, pets, and more mana effecient. I don't get to use the wide range of lock capabilities since I don't PvP, but a lock in the background with mages and rogues DPSing...you could really tear up a group of horde.

I pretty much beat most Warlock I run into in AB. I can defeat all their pesky pets but the chick who loves on me.

I do have issues with High Level ranks and I have never tried Goblit who I hear tears up Aves...

But, PvP and PvE are incredibly different. And PvP and dueling are very different too.

I agree PvP is much different than PvE... I can only speak of what I have heard when it comes to PvP... I hear that Shadow Priests pretty much own in PvP(as far as a class is considered)

PvE - Having both the ability to heal and deal out damage(even if a little lower than a mage) is kind of sweet. AoE is huge in PvE and the Mage is king followed by the Warlock.

Sadly my current concern is neither casting class but my rogue class... a little concerned with the +hit items... more specifically the miss rate I am getting(22-26%) vs what I should be getting(15-16%). Because I am a combat build this is kind of important to my build, since I do not rely on high instant attacks for my damage(I can still do ok instant damage) But on long combat fights where I rely on white damage to make up for my lack of high instant damage.

Back