Class professions

Every class in Guild Wars has a spot in a party. Some classes get left out for reasons, some some-what justified, some just plane crazy. I though i would list proffesions and where i think some of them are best suited for. I would like to know what you think about this.
-I am basing this on a party of 8 and the typical balanced build that is:
1 Warrior (tank)
2 ele's (nukers)
2 monks (2 heal, or, bonder and heal)
1 necro (SS,br, and other things)
-Sometime it's 3 nukers or 3 monk-
Xtra spot, filled with what ever

Warrior Spot- The warrior usualy hold the agrro so the attackers don't attack the casters who have less armor, which makes them take more damage

Ele's Spot-Ele's are often used to nuke (or fire magic). There are variations but nukers use very powerfull spells to take down enemy's fast.

Monks Spot-to keep the party alive

Necro's spot-varry's. Sometimes to hex the enemy or to increase small amounts of damage, and to give the casters energy.

Assasin's spot-When the nukers use their powerfull spells it doesn't always defeat the enemy, it just leaves them with low health. If there is no assasin the tanks usualy just run and clean it up. The assasin can fill that spot as the tank continues to hold what little agrro is left, or runs back to defeat the enemy's that broke from his hold. The assasin can also put pressure on the casters and can take out some targets fast and effectivly.

Mesmer's Spot-To prevent casters from casting. They do more damage to casters than to meele, and can even prevent some powerful casters from casting powerfull spells.

Paragon's Spot-The paragon can support a party numbers of ways. They can increase damage done, and can also support healing a whole party at once. The paragon's heavy armor gives him a great defence at anything the the tank fails to hold. The paragon can also stand between the warrior and monk as the warrior attempts to pull a group, healing the warrior while the monk heals the paragon. The paragon in some cases is a "second defence" and can lighten the load onthe monk.

Ranger's Spot-Rangers can stay out of range of enemy's and do large ammounts of damage from a safe location

Ritulist's Spot-(Hoping for input on this one, my knolage is quite limitied)

Dervish's Spot- (Same here)

Give me feed back and tell me what you think

This is a good general list. I'd also like to point out the roles in a party and which classes can fill them.

Tank: This character needs to absorb damage so they can stay alive and hold the agro while the team kills the target(s). Remember a tank is only good to the team if theres a good monk to compliment them.
Who can Tank?
Warriors - an obvious choice
Dervishes - Avatar of balthazar plus a couple other key skills make the dervish a formidable tank.
Elementalists - Say what?!? yup a good earth ele can hold agro quite well and survive for a long time so long as they can maintain their enchants.

DPS: Damage per second. This character produces as much damage as quickly as possible.
Who can DPS? Pretty much any class can but here are the most favored:
Elementalists - the classic nukers
Assassins - High damage in a short span of time. a well skilled assassin combined with good energy management(zealous daggers are a must imo) can continuously output high amounts of damage and help drop a target very quickly.
Necromancers - curses cause a lot of damage over time
Rangers - there are many skills a ranger has that increases their rapid damage output as well as range of mobs affected.
Mesmers - Domination and illusion mesmers have many damage over time as well as punishment spells which are often times silent killers. Illusionary weaponry as also quite deadly.

Healer: The ever important role, without which your party would not make it far.
Who can heal?
Monks - the obvious choice for this venture
Ritualists - if no monk can be found, a good restoration ritualist can often times save the day.

Support: A support character provides party wide buffs which can increase damage dealt, decrease damage received among other things.
Who can support?
Paragons - Paragons have many chants and shouts which can help lead to the victory of a team.
Ritualists - Spirits. They provide many different party buffs from healing to damage reduction to damage output.
Warrior - Many supportive shouts.
Necromancer - Wells. While standing in the well, any friendly player can reap the benefits said well offers. Battery. mmmmmm energy.

In my opinion the two most important roles are the tank and healer(s). So long as your healer can keep themself and the tank alive, the other roles can be filled according to preference. A team build can be unconventional. Sure in many instances you may end up fighting for a long time but as long as everyone plays their part the party will be successful whether it takes 1 minute or 5. This of course is debateable and also only practiced in non timed missions and quests.

Ranger's Spot-Rangers can stay out of range of enemy's and do large ammounts of damage from a safe location

traps and spirits!!

Also ele's are used for doing a lot of AoE damage--Area of Effect--for large groups the nuker can be vital. Earth skills are mostly used to help the ele himself alive with defensive skills IMO, air skills are for spiking. Ah yes, spiking. Not so popular anymore, I think, but that should be noted. I've also played as an ice ele that hexxed... Atown can use the ele for pretty much anything, including MM and even tanking but that takes a lot of practise. We eles are a versatile breed :p

Back