Citizen's Arrest

michaelpi

what do you guys think of Citizen's Arrest, and do you think they have the right to do that for a Misdemeanor than assult you.

Last edited:
Citizen's arrest is actually the same power that the police use when they arrest someone off duty, so they should have the right to do that for even a misdemeanor as long as they either saw the crime committed or have solid evidence to the perpetrator. As for the assault comment, no, they never have a right to assault you, but they do have a right to defend themselves and others.

alright i was at the public skatepark with my friend. we left and went to go get some food. on the way back there was no sidewalk's on one part so we had to cut threw a parking lot, than this 50 year old laydy comes running after us, she grabeds me by the arm and she wouldent let go than she "Citizen's Arrest" me and my frend. oh than she called the cops on us and she did not give us probable cause, the cop wsent there to 30 minits but thank god we only got a warning for that

I had an old man "Citizen's Arrest" me once for playing Twister in the elevator with these chicks from the beach that was staying in the same hotel. The Hotel manager came down, laughed, let us off, then told the guy to leave us alone.

If that wasn't worthy, then your issue was diffenetly of little consequence. The lady had no right to stop you. As for grabbing your arm, that's a fine line as far as assault goes. I'd diffenetly file a complaint against her though and stay out of that parking lot if she's the property manager.

Just an note to all you michiganderites: It's illegal to swear in front of women. If you come across a group of stupid kids that won't leave your area and won't turn off their mouth, call the cops.

... at least I think it's a law. I might have to do some checkup.

Ok then... did she just have something against skaters or something? Was it like a private parking lot? Did it have some "no skating" signs or something?

some people do stuff just so they can have something to talk about, so they can sound good to their "friends", such a sad way to live.

I have to agree with HCS. Assualt is basically threatening someone. If she had said, "You stay here and wait for the cops or else I'll beat you with my cane." then that is Assualt. Then if she had actually done it, then you could've added battery (the actual act of hitting).

Of course these are definitions for Florida, and your mileage may vary, the cape won't allow you to fly, etc..etc...

generally i would say escape if someone grabbed you. if they proceed to force you to the ground, grapple, or beat you then file charges. Even if they claim a "civilian arrest" the fact that they grabbed you against your will can cause major problems [for them] with the police. By not struggling you are admitting willful obediance.

well there where no skating signs aneywhere...and she did start saying all skaters are bad people....and how we all cuss and vandle things

The way you worded that was confusing, did you mean there weren't any skating signs anywhere? I'm pretty sure you did. Meh, the whole situation would be pretty stupid and annoying for you. So simply because you were skating around she stereotyped you as a cussing vandal and decided to citizens arrest you... For being a skater? Pretty ridiculous. What did you get warned for? Being there? Or was it just the cop's way of resolving the little situation?

fo "skating in the parking lot" and it is stupid we where just passing by and if we skate in a cut a corner or aneything we cant go back to allen skate park so ya it is stupid

and here i made a little map of where we where..me and my friend where the black doted line...the cars where blue and there grass was green..lol and did not stop at all we just went right by

In the "old lady"'s defense, the group of people you have associated yourself with does tend to behave that way.

Not saying that you do, nor any of you friends specifically. But I used to work near a little skate park and they would skate everywhere BUT at the park. Actually, the kid who almost knocked me over on my lunch break came very close to being "assulted," by today's standards....

If only I lived in the 50's, I tell you what! *shakes fist*

michaelpi said:
fo "skating in the parking lot" and it is stupid we where just passing by and if we skate in a cut a corner or aneything we cant go back to allen skate park so ya it is stupid

In Illinois you can make a citizen's arrest but only for misdemeanor and felonies, but not including city ordinances. From what you describe she had no right to physically detain you, but you did the right thing by waiting for the police. I'm sure the cop was laughing about it even if he didn't show it.

Back