Christmas Traditions

ursen

Officer SOE/LoE/Where's "here"?
What are some of the Christmas traditions that you have, have had, and continue, or how have they been modified to better reflect what Christmas is all about. We have two that go way back, both from my side of the family, and one is modified lately. First is "The Goodie Table", for a long time prior to Christmas Mom would fix all kinds of treats and freeze them for Christmas use. Then Christmas Eve a table would be fixed next to the tree with these, and other goodies, nuts, fruits, candies. After we ate a good supper, usually Swedish Meatballs and rice, open season would be declared on the goodies through Christmas evening. All you wanted of whatever for as long as it would last. Sugar and fruit binge at it's best. A reminder of the Heavenly banquet to come. Oops a third just game to mind which I will get to next. Also Christmas Eve there would be the candle light reading of the Christmas story from the Bible by the head of the house. Matthew 1:18 - 2:12, Luke 2:1-20. Later for my kids we added the book The Littlest Angel.
And last is the Christmas chain. A red and green chain made of construction paper that is hung on Dec1, and one link removed every day until Christmas Eve. My wife and I have added the touch of a prayer added at every link removal, with alternating days praying, her then me.
So what are some of your traditions that help you celebrate?

All of those sound really nice.

I can't really add anything because I live alone -- this year I am visiting my parents.

I plan to attempt to play O Holy Night on the piano, which has always been one of my favorite Hymns and, like you, read the Christmas story.

Not really sure what else my folks will do.

Maybe I'll borrow some ideas from those that post here. :)

I have to agree with ursen; I don't find it that bad, sorry :p
There is worse out there. I don't really like this version.

I am going to be really boring and devoid of Christmas spirit. Traditions? No. None. When I was younger, my mother used to decorate, but that's about it. Whether people celebrate it or not, I don't mind either way. But I do like how Christmas changes things from usual. Shops get decorated, lights all over the place, etc.

Nothing special; just clearing the front room so we can put up the tree (up until a couple of years ago, always a live tree; almost always a douglas fir; one year we tried a blue spruce... ow) and decorate it.

And, of course, dragging the light-up Nativity people complete with three wise men, two shepherds, sheep, a one-eared cow and a donkey to the front of the house and setting bricks in them so the wind wouldn't blow them away, and the star made of lights hanging from the roof over them. Kinda like this one.

When we were much younger, dad used to dress up as Saint Nick and bring gifts for us. One year he bought my sister and I a huge trainset - the kind with the blue, plastic tracks. The next, we each got our own tents - I got a camping tent and she got a plastic Barbie house tent. And I got Pokemon bubble gum, too - which I thought was odd, since Dad was afraid that Pokemon would expose me to idolatry. :D ( I don't rightly blame him, it being from Japan and all.)

Ah, good times...

I have to agree with ursen; I don't find it that bad, sorry :p
There is worse out there. I don't really like this version.

So that's what Satan's angels sound like on Christmas Eve...

Last edited:
Christmas Eve: Reading of the Christmas story while the various parts are played by the younger family members. My wife and I have been Mary and Joseph the past couple years due to having the youngest children (playing Jesus - without their knowledge). Then we sing some traditional Christmas hymns as a family.

Christmas morning: Everyone lines up outside the living room door (youngest to oldest) and waits for my dad to get the camera set up before filing out into the room. Usually one or two people hand out presents from under the tree while the rest open.

We get two Christmas mornings since we will open presents together as a family before going to my parents to open presents with the rest of the family.

We have the Candle Light service at church followed by a dinner for eight to ten people at our house.

We have the Youth Group over for hot chocolate and brownies with ice cream at the end of their caroling event.

We always watch The Bishop's Wife and Ernest Saves Christmas to really get into the Christmas spirit. Watching the latter tonight with a bunch of Junior highers who weren't even born when Ernest first saved Christmas.

Wouldn't be Christmas at our house without those.

Sounds good Abba. Our 2 Christmas shows are A Charlie Brown Christmas, and How the Grinch Stole Christmas, the original with Boris Karloff narrating.

not sure yet. my family usually just has a big seafood dinner, but this year we have my nephew and fiance and a friend and his fiance, and his twin brother with his gf.... so who knows :)

Back