Christians are Serial Killers

exodus

This is an interesting perspective on the Christian bashing that consistently goes on in Hollywood.

*warning* The article itself is realtively tame, but some of the comments on the article may contain inappropriate content. Please use your discretion when reading.

Nice.

I agree it's been so overplayed that I'm not only offended as a Christian, but also as a writer; stereotyping every member of any religious group as naive, hateful, prejudiced, sexist, backwards, and fear-mongering imbeciles is just plain lazy.

On a related note, all religious leaders in JRPGs (Japanese role-playing games) resembling Catholics or Christians are evil. See: Grandia II and every other JRPG ever made.

On a related note, all religious leaders in JRPGs (Japanese role-playing games) resembling Catholics or Christians are evil. See: Grandia II and every other JRPG ever made.

Well that is coming from a society that was predominantly polytheistic and atheistic.

For the most part religion is a major source of conflict. It excuses people from what would normally be considered socially inept behavior by essentially citing phantasy as an excuse. The closest thing today is murdering someone then claiming mental illness, except back then (and even today) people will follow someone who says the right words and fulfills what they feel they need.

Religion IMO is often times just an excuse to go outside of the social contract.

Nice.

I agree it's been so overplayed that I'm not only offended as a Christian, but also as a writer; stereotyping every member of any religious group as naive, hateful, prejudiced, sexist, backwards, and fear-mongering imbeciles is just plain lazy.

if you add onto that the latest Dan brown screed, angels and demons, the true villain of the film is a priest who is a conniving backstabbing powerhog bent on separating faith from reason (oh and having killed 3 cardinals in the film, also a serial killer). most backward thing ever and totally implausible in real life.

in regards to the JRPG connection t stems from the early history of Christianity in Japan. The first missionaries to enter Japan were the Portuguese and Spanish Jesuits. When they introduced Christianity to Japan, they were met with resistance from the local Shogunate. they beleived that to call Jesus Christ Lord was tantamount to committing treason against the Shogunate, as in feudal japan, a farm worker was subservient to his shogun and nobody else. this of course led to massive executions and martyrdom of 26 people. the great miracle of this entire ordeal is that in the 250 year absence of missionaries in Japan, there was still an underground christian community surviving when missionaries were allowed to return.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Miki
St. Paul Miki, most famous of the early martyrs of Japan (he was a saint and a samurai :) )
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-six_Martyrs_of_Japan
the 26 martyrs of japan, some of them foreign, some Japanese, other were children, all of them Crucified for Christ.

hope that explains the reason why in most Japanese medieval and fantasy settings Christians seem to get the short end of the stick.

Religion needs to die anyway...it just causes problems... One thing we need to remember that's more important than anything else is our relationship with God and Jesus' sacrifice... To me I always see Religion as an excuse for many things...nothing more... Religion is man's ways of getting to God...Jesus is God's way of getting to man... Why is the gospel of love dividing a country...? http://lordsaveusthemovie.com/ Watch the 10 minute preview... There are many type of "Christians" in this world, MOST of which are giving the handful of "good" ones a bad name... In my "RL" group (I consider this a RL group, but for the sake of this I am talking about people I talk to face to face) of younger people I know...only a very very very small percentage of them that call themselves Christians, live it. Many of them claim they don't believe parts of the Bible even...!?

EDIT: If you have issues watching that video here is the youtube version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbPnWPOhL04

Last edited:
One thing to keep in mind is that Hollywood is run predominantly by Jews. Many Jews have a very negative view of Christianity for various reasons. Face it, Christians have not always treated them very well (ie. the Spanish Inquisition etc...). If History servers me, the Inquisition is why most of the Jews in Europe ended up modern day Germany, because Bavaria was one of the only kingdoms to welcome them in. Which contributed to the Holocaust being the horrible slaughter that it was, and so on.

Last edited:
Wow man, that post is right on. I've been saying that for quite some time, it's absolutely stupid how hollywood always portrays Christians as sick hypocritical psychos, while they always portray muslims as the good guys who are always getting picked on because a few psychos give em a bad rep. Reality is slightly different that what hollywood puts out there.

Religion needs to die anyway...it just causes problems... One thing we need to remember that's more important than anything else is our relationship with God and Jesus' sacrifice... To me I always see Religion as an excuse for many things...nothing more... Religion is man's ways of getting to God...Jesus is God's way of getting to man...
I hear a lot of people say, "Christianity is not religion, it's a relationship." If we believe Christianity isn't religion, why do we appeal to the First Amendment's promised freedom of religion to protect our free exercise of our Christian beliefs?*

By any accepted definition of religion I've encountered,** Christianity is a religion. It's a religion founded upon (and indeed, totally reliant upon) a personal relationship with the true God of the universe through His Son Jesus Christ, Creator of heaven and earth. That makes it distinctive, but it is most definitely a religion.

In my experience, non-Christians think we sound like loonies when we claim Christianity isn't a religion. In reality, we're just using the term in a unique way. However, we aren't likely to convince the rest of the world to redefine the term "religion" to apply to every system of beliefs concerning the cause, origin, or purpose of the universe except Christianity. It is probably much more useful to focus on how Christianity is different, and why it is the Truth.

* "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

** A few I found online:
American Heritage Dictionary
1. a. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
b. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.

Collins Essential English Dictionary
1. belief in or worship of a supernatural power or powers considered to be divine or to have control of human destiny
2. any formal expression of such belief

Dictionary.com
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

Wikipedia
an organized approach to human spirituality which usually encompasses a set of narratives, symbols, beliefs and practices, often with a supernatural or transcendent quality, that give meaning to the practitioner's experiences of life through reference to a higher power, God or gods, or ultimate truth.[/SIZE]

Of course every group in the world is overgeneralized. The murder of George Tiller caused every pro-choicer to brand Christians as violent. Then again, when something else happens, the right wing conservatives brand others as violent and ruthless savages.

The minority is always the loudest.

Back