Christian Trivia #1

ByblosHex

Ok.. I am going to ask a question, and anyone can answer what they belive to be the best answer... now.. the rules are, No arguing and no responding to one another... just post your answer to the question and PM someone if you want to argue with them about it... The main point of this is to see just how some of you think of certain things...

#1) What does an upside down cross represent?

#2) What is a pentagram, inverted or not?

#3)Why was John the Baptist created?

Answer these and thats all... if in the end you disgree with me then feel free to PM me about it... I willl come up with more trivia type questions later!

The upside down cross...has to do with someone being crucified upside down. I'm not sure who this was...it seems to have slipped from my memory.

Pentegram is a pagan symbol I believe.

John the Babtist...created to spread the word of the coming of Christ I think? Humm, I need to get with it on the Christian trivia I guess.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]#1) What does an upside down cross represent?

It represents the symbol of Peter. Mythology says he was crucified this way. It has also been used to symbolize mockery and rejection of Jesus Christ.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]#2) What is a pentagram, inverted or not?

The word pentagram comes from the Greek: "pente means 5 (as in Pentagon). "Gram" comes from the Greek verb graphein, "to write". The same ending is found in such words as telegram. Thus, pentagram refers to a five pointed star, or "any figure of five lines." It is most often used to refer to a symmetrical, five pointed star, with equal sides, drawn either with a single line or with two closely spaced parallel lines. Their overall shape is like the decoration on the top of many Christmas trees, and the stars on the American flag.

An upright pentagram is a 5 pointed star with one point aligned upwards.
An inverted pentagram is a 5 pointed star with two points aligned upwards.
An upright pentacle is generally defined as an upright pentagram surrounded by a circle, as is shown in the following icon. It often takes the form of a pentagram printed on (or cut into) a flat disk.

The five points of the pentagram have been interpreted as representing the five wounds of Christ (2 wrist, 2 ankle and 1 side).
The Roman Emperor Constantine used the pentagram in his seal and amulet.
It has been referred to as the Star of Bethlehem.
It was used to symbolize the star which allegedly led three Zoroastrian astrologers to the baby Jesus; it was called the Three Kings' star.
The English warrior Sir Gawain, a nephew of King Arthur, adopted the pentagram as his personal symbol and placed it on his shield. It appeared in gold on a red background. The five points symbolized "the five knightly virtues - generosity, courtesy, chastity, chivalry and piety."
It has been widely used by past Christians as a protective amulet.
During the burning times when the Christian church burned alive or hung hundreds of thousands of innocent people, the meaning of the pentagram changed. It began to symbolize a goat's head or the devil in the form of Baphomet. "The folk-symbol of security - for the first time in history - was equated with evil and was called the Witch's Foot."

LINK

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]#3)Why was John the Baptist created?

To Baptise Christ?

DV pretty much got it.
Peter didn't want to be crusified the same way as Jesus, thats y the cross was inverted.
The upright pentagram was used like what the crusifix is used now. I think the romn catholic church changed it way back in the day.

atleast give him a teddy bear.
smile.gif

1) Peter was reportedly crucified upside down in Foxe's Book of Martyrs.
In the 60's when broken, the upside down cross made a peace sign.

2) A five pointed star.

3) To prepare the way of Jesus.

I'd rather have a lamb than an teddy bear
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ByblosHex @ Oct. 25 2004,10:42)]Hey hey I said NO discussions! That includes discussing your 'prize'!!

Im still waiting for a few more answers
smile.gif
LOL, no extra discussions from THIS crowd?

Good luck
rock.gif

[this message is only a figment of your imagination]
[She is an adorable doll! My 11 month old grandson just smiled, laughed and babbled when he saw her picture! flirt! Man! They start early, don't they?]

I am thinking we have all the posts!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ][this message is only a figment of your imagination]

I can't resist...anybody else having this experience or am I the only one? Is this some kind of mass halucination or what???

Now I am really scared
tounge.gif

--
Upside down cross: I've heard Peter choose to be crucified this way because he didn't want to be crucified the same way Jesus was. I don't know what it specifically signifies though.

Pentagram: Pagan symbol. Used in divinition ceremonies in some religions.

John the Baptist: To prepare people for the coming of Jesus.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Upside down cross: I've heard Peter choose to be crucified this way because he didn't want to be crucified the same way Jesus was. I don't know what it specifically signifies though.

Historically speaking, how plausible is this?

Romans didn't generally crucify people on the cross that most people think of, there was no crossbar.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Pentagram: Pagan symbol. Used in divinition ceremonies in some religions.

the original christian sybol for the wounds of christ before the vatican thought the'd change it.

Typical Roman crucifixion cross took on many forms:

T Known as a Tau or St. Anthony's Cross - Where the transom would go across the very top.

+ Known as Latin cross, where the transom would be placed some distance from the top, to for a t-shape cross, most depicted in Christian imagery.

X Known as the decussate cross (after 'decus', Latin for 'ten', insofar as 'X' is the Roman numeral for ten) or St. Andrews Cross.

I A single vertical wooden stick, with no transom at all. This is how the JW's typically describe the device on which Jesus was crucified.

---

How plausible is it, quite plausible.

1) Most peopel are correct, the Upside down Cross signifies the Cross of Saint Peter.... I was expecting some poeple to affiliate it with satan. DV I am proud of you lol.

2) Sure Pagans use it, but thats not what it is. A pentagram is simply a five sided star and a geometric figure. So... If you see a pentagram, what do you think? Satan or Mathimatician? lol

3) Yeah... here to pave the road for Jesus.

Back