Christian music - triyng to find...

Atown

Christian Gamers Alliance Amazon Store Manager
Staff member
Trying to find christian versions of blink 182 or weezer sounding stuff but not dumb stuff that sounds like it was recorded in a garage or recorded by high schoolers ya know?

thoughts?

Disclaimer, the following is not meant to offend people:

btw, i cant stand relient k, thousand foot krutch, red, pillar, or most other generic christian baloney music.

Um, could try Hawk Nelson? Their newer stuff is more punkish. FM Static, Stellar Kart, House of Heroes, maybe Switchfoot, Children 18:3... ?

hehe... You could try Family Force 5.

And if your willing to go non-christian, one song I recommend is Mr. Bojangles by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band...

Lol.

cant stand hawk nelson or family force 5 or switchfoot.... >.>

havent heard of the others so ill try looking up their stuff in the morning

children 18:3 is the awesome, as is house of heroes. are you in the seattle area, or can pick up radio stations from there, check out radiou.

radiou.com would be the URL, and they do stream on the website

im from seattle area but never heard of radiou. the big one is spirit 105 but the DJs are so..... christianese and makes me feel like vomiting been uber busy but tomorrow morning i have some time before work ill prolly youtube and stream stuff

Haste the Day is going to be here soon with The Devil Wears Prada.....I...I'm not sure how I feel about that. It seems that DWP has LOTS of teenage girl fans here, and I don't want to get trampled.

If you don't like the sound of Christian music, then don't listen to it. That's what I do!

I did used to listen to Skillet. Their CDs, Comatose or Collide, are good.

Last edited:
I usually don't listen to Christian music, but after listening to Demon Hunter and the few others I mentioned there are a few Christian metal bands that sound good.

Right now I'm really into Dethklok...the cartoon thats on Adult Swim is great, but with songs like;

Murmaider (a song about mermaid murder from when they were recording metal music for fish.)

Awaken (in the cartoon this songs wakes up a giant troll in a lake in finland and it wreaks havoc until they kill it)

Duncan Hills Coffee Jingle (a song for a coffee shop from the cartoon)

I Tamper with the Evidence at the Murder Site of Odin (seriously awesome! its like every metal cliche ever in one band!)

Atown, it sounds to me that you've got a typical problem of liking particular bands and not liking other particular bands, but wishing that the former had the values of the latter. Hmm. Hard.

You like bands like blink 182 or weezer, but you don't like their content. Or you've been told not to like their content.
You don't like many of the "christian punk" bands because you don't like their content either.

This is not necessarily a bad thing. It might potentially mean you have mature taste.

For my two cents, I would give certain MXPX albums a look-see. MXPX is a christian band, but they've had to learn to walk the line between being Christians and writing the music that they enjoy. This means that a lot of their songs deal with romance and heartache and so on.

Warning: Offense ahead.

The difference between a band like MXPX and a band like Hawk Nelson is a lot more maturity and thought goes into MXPX's (later) lyrics. They're not towing the christian music party line; they are looking back at it from a position of "been there, done that." All of the guys in MXPX are married, they've been labelled "sellouts" or "gone secular" in the past and got over it. They have a wry sense of humor (see blink 182) that often gets them in trouble with the censor police, but they earnestly long for the things of God and the salvation of others.

Early MXPX could be considered non-musical and immature; I would personally look into albums such as "The Ever Passing Moment," "Panic," and "Before Everything and After" -- the last one is a really solid album.

One last comment: MXPX or any other christian band is not going to be a "christian version" of blink 182 or weezer. Unless you're going to look at Apologetix, but I personally wouldn't. You're better off looking for a completely different band that has content that you like, and presents it in a way that you like. If you compare one band to another, and try to find a match, you'll only find that they fall short or, which is worse, that they deliberately tried to tack a Christian message onto another band's songs.

Atown, it sounds to me that you've got a typical problem of liking particular bands and not liking other particular bands, but wishing that the former had the values of the latter. Hmm. Hard.

You like bands like blink 182 or weezer, but you don't like their content. Or you've been told not to like their content.
You don't like many of the "christian punk" bands because you don't like their content either.

This is not necessarily a bad thing. It might potentially mean you have mature taste.

For my two cents, I would give certain MXPX albums a look-see. MXPX is a christian band, but they've had to learn to walk the line between being Christians and writing the music that they enjoy. This means that a lot of their songs deal with romance and heartache and so on.

Warning: Offense ahead.

The difference between a band like MXPX and a band like Hawk Nelson is a lot more maturity and thought goes into MXPX's (later) lyrics. They're not towing the christian music party line; they are looking back at it from a position of "been there, done that." All of the guys in MXPX are married, they've been labelled "sellouts" or "gone secular" in the past and got over it. They have a wry sense of humor (see blink 182) that often gets them in trouble with the censor police, but they earnestly long for the things of God and the salvation of others.

Early MXPX could be considered non-musical and immature; I would personally look into albums such as "The Ever Passing Moment," "Panic," and "Before Everything and After" -- the last one is a really solid album.

One last comment: MXPX or any other christian band is not going to be a "christian version" of blink 182 or weezer. Unless you're going to look at Apologetix, but I personally wouldn't. You're better off looking for a completely different band that has content that you like, and presents it in a way that you like. If you compare one band to another, and try to find a match, you'll only find that they fall short or, which is worse, that they deliberately tried to tack a Christian message onto another band's songs.

i have a one liner response to this.... I'm from bremerton :)

the thing is, i know the lyrics are not good from the other bands and i really need stuff that is more glorifying to God. I personally love the Dethklok album for the sound and sheer hilariousness, but it has lyrics about death, murder, sex and masturbation. Thats not acceptable to me or the lifestyle im trying to lead.

Personally most of the time that i dont like bands, i cant stand the vocals. Casting crown is the equivalent of nails on a chalk board to me, 2nd only to the Beatles. Dear lord I have friends with that Beatles rock band, i wanted to cut my ears off so bad.

I love MXPX for the most part, actually.... i love them straight up haha but i prolly should look into getting their christian albums.

just ordered 2 anberlin cds and children 18:3 . Its so funny children 18:3 were totally homeschooled and dress like that haha, my parents would have shot me.

anywho i'm giving them a shot. I'm not a huge fan of Tooth and Nail records because their so generically... well, generic underground, tight pants, etc. but ya know, i'll go with it for now.

Last edited:
Trying to find christian versions of blink 182 or weezer sounding stuff but not dumb stuff that sounds like it was recorded in a garage or recorded by high schoolers ya know?

thoughts?

Disclaimer, the following is not meant to offend people:

btw, i cant stand relient k, thousand foot krutch, red, pillar, or most other generic christian baloney music.
not familar with chritian techno(which is basiclaly what youa re after)
try eowyn, elijah again for starters.

not familar with chritian techno(which is basiclaly what youa re after)
try eowyn, elijah again for starters.

Actually Blink-182 and Weezer are considered punk...never really considered them Techno.

BTW not trying to be a butt or anything by correcting you, I just know that I like to be told when I make a mistake. ;)

Back