"Cheating" in Minecraft

crcook84

As much as I like Minecraft, I have found that certain tasks, even though they are important, can get monotonous. Mainly mining. Yes, I know mining is an important part of the game (it's even in the title). However, you can mine for a long time and, even though you'll find valuable minerals, you never find the one mineral you need to complete a task. As such, I have found that items like the Excavation Bomb (or Mining Bomb depending on your definition) and the Quarry to be invaluable.

The bomb destroys and area while turning all the blocks it destroyed into gather-able items and the Quarry automates the excavation process by slowly digging up a set area (either 9x9 or an area you manually set with markers). They free you up so that you can go about exploring other aspects of the game (like animal husbandry, map making, weapons and armor, etc.).

However, I, also, understand what it would take to create those items. As such, you pretty much have to "cheat" to be able to take advantage of those items. My question is what is your opinion of automating certain tasks to be able to enjoy other aspects of the game? How much cheating would you consider to be "cheating" before your gameplay is no longer purist?

(Mind you, I think the Excavator bomb is much less of a cheat as compared with the Quarry. You have to be careful where you aim or you could get flooded or even have your items destroyed in lava flow. I don't know how the quarry handles lava.)

I'm a pure purist. The only mod I really want to see on a server is the one that lets me lock chests. And if they ever made locks part of the game, I'd be for getting rid of that mod too.

I am unable to find a reference for an excavation bomb. Are you talking about using TNT to blow out chunks of rock as a quick mining technique? If so, you don't have to "cheat" to acquire the parts. You do have to take the time to assemble the components, hunt creepers or create traps to get the gun powder, but if you take time and patience it can be done. The thing I dislike about using TNT is the irregular hole it creates and the fact it destroys some blocks (or it used to) so you loose some of what you are mining neither of which sit well with my OCPD.

The "Mining Bomb" is part of this mod:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/877105-152-smp-more-explosives-mod-over-1500000-downloads/
http://moreexplosives.com/wiki/
So far, I've read it being called the mining bomb, the excavation bomb, and the tunneling bomb. But, as for using it to find minerals, I've found an alternative. I don't know how I did this. But, I found a cave which lead me to the "abandoned mines" underneath the Minecraft world. I still have to hunt for the minerals. But, I won't get bored by mining all the way to them. Of course, the other problem I run into is getting lost in the underground cavers.

Although, if someone wants to create for themselves a storage space, a couple of strategically placed explosives can create a large room rather quickly. Or, just as good, it's a quick way to collect a lot of any kind of mineral really quickly (like if you want to make a cobblestone enclosure). And, because it's directional, as long as you stand just on the other side of where you point it, you can stand right next to it without getting hurt.

Ah, gotcha! I don't do mods and I was searching the minecraft wiki. If you are already modding, then I don't see how you can consider it cheating? IMHO cheating would be taking advantage of a glitch or exploiting the designers didn't intend and modding was intended from early on.

Back