Change Onslaught Server to TAM

#Should Onslaught be Changed to Team Arena Master?

• Total voters

James

In my humble opinion, not only is Team Arena Master more fun and faster paced, but unlike Onslaught TAM will actually help make you a better player (Onslaught will make you worse because it's slower and you tend to use vehicles as a crutch).

So I propose changing the Onslaught server to TAM.

Please vote/comment your ideas.

For those who don't know, here's some more info on Team Arena Master.

If I have time, I'll take a look at it and maybe I can put it on the server as a votable game type along with the other game types, but only if there's enough interest.

I wouldn't mind having a TAM server. It might be more popular too, because there are a horde of ONS servers, and not as many (I think) TAM servers.

Wow, what have I done introducing James to TAM? I think I've created a monster!

The pros and cons, in my opinion:

Pros
1. TAM is more fun than ONS.
2. ONS has little competitive future.
3. TWL has a 4v4 TAM ladder. See note below.

Cons
1. There are two reasons I don't play on the Onslaught server.
a. I have an ever-increasing intolerance of Onslaught.
b. My connection is unbearably low-quality compared to other servers.​
As you can see, switching the gametype to TAM only fixes one of these problems. I still don't see myself playing on that server, even if it is TAM.

Note: I mentioned TWL's TAM ladder. If you guys actually want to pursue TAM, you'll have to do it without me. I'm already on a team. {dKc} was one person shy of a full team, and (I write this without pride or haughtiness) I have somewhat of a reputation in the TAM community for being one of the more skilled players, so I jumped at the opportunity to join their TAM team, even though I'm not in their clan. Obviously, I couldn't be on two teams in the same ladder, so you'll have to do it without me.

If there's sufficient interest in a TAM team, I nominate James as leader.

Last edited:
Wow...sorry guys, I really don't understand the attraction to TAM. No idea it had such a following - to me it doesn't really seem like that interesting of a game type. Sounds more like a collection of gameplay tweaks than anything else, just a variation on DM, but to each their own.

Personally I prefer Onslaught - I like vehicles, teamwork, and the ebb 'n flow of ONS games - but we'll see what people say.

Last edited:
Not much like a DM variant. The emphasis in DM is... well, really in FFA DM there isn't much emphasis other than mayhem. The major emphases, from greatest to least, in TDM are map control, teamwork, and fragging skill. The emphases in TAM from greatest to least are aim, movement skill, teamwork, weapon selection/combinations, and ammo conservation.

Fundamental differences between TAM and TDM:

1. Round-based
2. No powerups
3. All weapons with a limited supply of ammo
4. Enemies do not drop weapons when they die

It's really quite a different gametype. Sure, you could describe CTF as DM with bases, but it would miss the mark. Describing TAM as round-based TDM misses the mark by about the same amount.

I like vehicles, teamwork, and the ebb 'n flow
TAM has all of those except vehicles. TDM has teamwork and ebb 'n flow in greater amounts, of course, but we have a server for that. I don't particularly like Onslaught's vehicles, either. They seem like a cheap copy of Halo's or Tribes' vehicles.

I don't particularly care about the outcome of this vote as I don't think I'll be on that server much, unless game nights get going again and take precedence over TDM practice (unlikely).

Last edited:
Well it's like this for CS. If you die you wait. As in the words of Xan,"You dial to easily". With dial up I can't do death match well enough to stay alive. I hold my own though for what I can. So I'd be in the wait stage early.
If the server will handle TAM then put it into the game vote box. I don't mind playing any game as long as it's with my fellow ToJ'rs even if I die a lot. :) Someday-if and when- broadband hits CS's home then DM may turn out to be my fav. I will shoot somebody and they will die. lol, CS

Last edited:
Shagz said:
What's the hold up with broadband, CS? Do you really live *that* far out in the boonies?

The hold up is our town. It is run by a bunch of elderly people so they think it's not important. DSL is in town. It only goes 2 miles from the source. Main town. I live 7.5 miles from the main town. We have Charter cable but they said it will cost them over a million dollars to upgrade the cable lines to be compatable with Charter Pipeline. Town of Pound just signed a 15 year contract with Charter to provide tv cable for the Pound area. So Charter is out of the picture. I emailed the town council (all of them) and voiced my opinion about the contract before they signed it. But I am no one to them. I wanted them to boot Charter and get Adelphia cable and internet. They service half of the Pound area already. No go there too.
Dickenson County internet network might be my only choice.
http://www.dcwin.org
It is wireless using 900Mhz connection. It's coming this year.
I have looked into the new satellite internet system coming out this year too. It's called Wild Blue.
From Wild Blue FAQ:
What is the impact of latency? Can I play real-time Internet games or make Internet phone calls on your service?
The WildBlue system is engineered to help offset the impact of latency, which is the delay caused by sending signals from the earth to the satellite and back again. However, there is a delay of about a quarter second as the signal travels up to the satellite and back down to the ground. For most applications this latency does not affect performance, however, there are some applications like voice over IP (telephone service delivered over the Internet, also known as VoIP), or real-time interactive gaming, where latency will have a noticeable effect on performance over the WildBlue network, as it would on any satellite-delivered service.

Yes I know .1/4 of a second latency. http://www.wildblue.com
I'm desperate. lol , CS

If you put up a TAM server chances are you'll get quite a few peeps on it. (Including me on occasion :) ). TAM is very fun, pure fragging skill. There is not the distraction of holding PU's so you can really focus on increasing your frag ability (hehe frag ability..fragability lol). We are on the 4v4 TAM ladder on TWL. The best thing about it, imo, is that when you or your teammates go out and they last guy is fighting the other last guy, everyone is rooting for him. We had one guy playing in one of our matches where it was him vs. three other guys. It was so much fun to watch him beat the odds (twice this happened during this game) and come out winning the round. It is a whole different flavor. I find it hard (due to limited time) to play anything that will keep me from focusing on TDM. TAM will complement your TDM play style, as long as you don't get lax in timing/controlling PU's for TDM.

just my $0.02 :p

-Cham

Back