CGDC 2011

Cryptopur

Hey folks - I haven't had the chance to check in here for a while but wanted to let you all know about the most recent details regarding this year's Christian Game Developer's Conference. I know some of you here many of you have attended past events and we're now about 2 months away from this year's event which is the 10th anniversary. (w00t!)

You can see a lot more detail on the website(http://cgdc.org) but here's the bullet:
  • July 7-9, 2011
  • George Fox University in Newberg, OR (about 20mi south of Portland)
  • Barlow Girl performing a worship set
  • Speakers/Topics include...
    • Lance Preibe, the creator of Club Penguin
    • Kyle Garner, world designer at BioWare taling about that world building thing.
    • Mark Soderwall, (of LucasArts, Atari, RockStar etc) - on building a virtual game studio
    • Jeff Gerke from Marcher Lord Press discussing storytelling techniques in a non-linear medium
    • David McDonald on The Theology of Monsters (Did you know there are unicorns in the Bible?)
  • We have two keynote speakers taking a step back to look at the 'big picture' of the role of gaming in shaping modern culture.
    • Os Hillman and the Mountain of Arts & Entertainment. Gaming is a MAJOR cultural medium and those of us in, or aspiring to work in this industry do well to see the BIG play we are a part of.
    • Gary Barkalow discussing how this big picture will require that we live from our deep convictions and passions. How does a Christian live and thrive in an industry that doens't seem to want us?
  • The XBus will be there to play big LAN style games.
  • And to make Seth happy...there will be a bunch of QR codes

To be fair, we're still a couple months out and some of this is subject to shift and grow but you should be able to see the basic framework and theme for what we're up to here. Also, in the past CGDC has never really been about the content, not really. It's always been about the meet-ups, the fellowship and the shared vision to bring our faith to this thing we call gaming. We sure hope to see you there and wish all of you the best in whatever God has called you to.

Grace and Peace

CGDC... craziness. I was there... five or six years ago. Looks like things have grown since then. Very cool.

Live stream?
Alas, probably not...at least not this year. Needless to say, we're trying to make this whole thing get more current in terms of technologies and accessibility but live streaming is probably beyond our capacity this time around. :(

I'd love to attend or at least visit, but I live in the Midwest and a trip to Oregon is right out this year. :(

But be sure to tell us all about it!

Back