• Baptist

Votes: 12 100.0%
  • Methodist

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Presbyterian

• Pentecostal

• Non-Denominational (Ironic, I list this as a denomination)

• Catholic

• Lutheran

• Episcopal

• Church of God

• Other

• Total voters

Vanaze

I find it amazing of the diversity within this large organization, and for the most part, we've stayed focused and non-arguementative (Save the Religous Disc. board! ^_^).

I think this proves that God will use the diversity of His people to BRING THEM TOGETHER!

w00t, gg God.

Let's see how diverse we truly are. I listed the larger, mostly likely candidates for denominations, but if you don't fall under any of those, please post what you are!

Van

presbyterian. I just found that out last week
tounge.gif
and all the tiem it was on right below my church name. o_O

I pretty much grew up in the Baptist church, but then hopped around to a couple non-denominational churches for several years after college. Now I am a part of a new, growing Evangelical Free church.

I don't want to say that I'm troubled by the amount of people claiming non-denom, but it does worry me a bit.

My personal experiences with non-denominational churches have been far from good. Most of the non-denom churches I've ever attended are extremely liberal in their services and in their beliefs, and that's what bothers me.

Just curious, for those of you whom did list yourself as a non-denominational, what does your church believe?

I'm in no way, shape, or form trying to put down your area of belief, just curious and concerned for the well being of my Chrisitian brothers and sisters.

Vanaze

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Just curious, for those of you whom did list yourself as a non-denominational, what does your church believe?
heh, My church believes in the Bible, what does your church believe? What is the point of denominations? Is little details worth splitting churches over? I don't agree with the whole denomination concept, but hey I guess life isn't perfect...

Just so you'll know, Master, non-denomination /is/ a denomination.

My question still stands, what ARE the beliefs of various non-denom churches?

CCGR - that could mean a lot, though.

Many people take the Bible in many different ways. Hence why we HAVE so many different denominations.

While the Bible might be your ultimate authority, as it should be, there are often times when it's not taken correctly.

Vanaze

Tek - That's good, those are basic tenets, sure, but what about the more disuputed topics?

I'm aware that quite a few of the higher-ups in CGA and ToJ are non-denom attenders, and I don't mean any offense by this when I say .....I've been to non-denominational churches that were edging on paganism, quite literally worshipping statues of Christ as if He were personified in that statuette.

Annoiting with oil, while Biblical, is another thing they did that bothered me -- not because of the actual act, but /how/ they did it. They claimed the oil in and of itself is what gave a person ability or power, not representative of God's blessing upon that person.

There are other things, but those two were the first ones I thought of, so...yea...Feel free to respond!

Vanaze

I don't think some of those basic tenets are exactly all-encompassing though....

I'm also wondering if some will select non-denom not necessarily because they attend a non-denominational church, but because they identify themselves as Christians rather than as Methodist or Baptist or Presbyterian or Lutheran or whatever.

If that makes any sense.

I went ahead and went Baptist, but I think of myself as a Christian more than I think of myself as a Baptist. I just attend a Baptist church because I enjoy the teaching, I love the worship, and I really get excited about what God is doing there.

I am in agreement with you, Ember. I also think of myself as a Christian, and I rarely affiliate myself with a specific denomination, I just state that I attend a church that has Bible teachings and you can tell God is at work.

I also concord with you on the thought that /some/ of those basic tenets are not all-encompassing. That was what I was trying to point out, that those statements seemed pretty general.

Heck, I think those tenets could be adopted by just about every church I've ever attended. I just want to know the nitty-gritty on some of these non-denominational churches, because some of them are so liberal that they allow WAY too many things into their congregation that shouldn't be there, or things that shouldn't be happening.

Van

Back