CGA Internet radio station?

Tek7 (Legacy)

CGA & ToJ President
I'm trying to see if there's enough interest in a Christian Gamers Alliance Internet radio station for me to start researching what it'll take to run a weekly broadcast. If you're interested, please reply here with your ideas, comments, and suggestions. Please also include what times you would be most likely to tune into an Internet radio broadcast.

dunno anytime would be cool
smile.gif

There are several Christian radio stations that broadcast over the net. For instance, in my town of Columbus, Radio U plays a great mix of the latest Christian rock, rap and metal. They also broadcast over the internet. If you are interested in seeing the videos, you can also check out their sister TV station called TV U.

http://www.tvulive.com
http://www.tvulive.com/radiou

They even have a weekly game review on the morning show called the Riot.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Plankeye @ July 29 2003,8:07)]There are several Christian radio stations that broadcast over the net.
Well, I was thinking of less of a radio station and more of an Internet radio talk show. Of course, I must listen to the desire of the people, so if people want a Christian music station, then I'll look into that, too.
smile.gif

I see, a CGA/Christian Talk show. Probably a better idea than doing christian radio (theres a lot of that available, and probably higher quality than what we would produce). We could meet in an IRC channel to discuss this further and get this worked up in more detail if we choose to pursue it. I don't think we should go in to things like "Oh, I can host it" or "I'd like to DJ" just yet. That would be something for an IRC meeting or the like. I'm excited about this.

Heres the tools we would probably need.
Shoutcast
Winamp 2.x
Shoutcast Plugin for Winamp 2.x

Heres who we need for this -
Someone with a big upstream preferably 768 kbps, this is if we choose to go the home grown hosting option.
We can also probably find someone that will host us for $10-$20 per month, and it will probably be a much higher connection speed. I'm going to look in to Shoutcast server providers.

I forgot about the all important relays, these allow more than one server to broadcast the same stream. This could be something we may want to make use of, I'm reading some shoutcast documentation as we speak, and attempting to get a prototype server online.

Ok, heres the deal, I've got a server up, just to prove that it can be done. Flash9k has tested it for me, and it works, if anyone else wants to listen just to check it out you can get to it via winamp by right clicking and going to play > location > 64.91.43.86:8000

24kbps is the most it supports, and 10 users.

Awesome.
biggrin.gif

I just connected, and it worked perfectly. I'm going to nab the software you mentioned and try to run it on my secondary computer.

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle!"

You don't like five iron frenzy? Pffft on you. Anyway, tek, my server is open to setting up relays publically, you could attempt your hand at that if you want, the server is still up, if theres something wrong with it drop me a line on trillian or IRC.

Philosomatika Psytrance Station

I listen to this psytrance stream a lot, and have spoken with the person that maintains it. I recommend going there and e-mailing him for some advice. His station runs at 160kbps, and can support (as I recall) up to 600 listeners. I'm sure he can offer some tips to you as far as finding hosts and mirrors for the stream.

What name do you go by when you talk to him, I'd like to reference you in my E-Mail in a "So and so told me that you ran this station..." fashion.

Ah :). If you want to be 100% sure he'll recognize the name, put it as Matthew "SLAM" Duncan. He knows who I am.

Back