Can you be a homosexual AND a Christian?

Judge a tree by its fruit, if the person is truly a Christian, their lives will show it.

I like that too. However, I still fail at times. Does that mean I'm not saved?

It's equally dangerous to be too draconian in your judgement and too lenient. With one, we hold a standard which no man can follow; with the other, we set a standard so low that no change is necessary in a person's life when they become a Christian.

Homosexuality is clearly a sin, as defined in Scripture. I doubt you'd find many mainstream, evangelical Christians who'd say that they are homosexuals-- that would be akin to me saying I went out and drank 15 beers last night though the Bible does speak out against drunkenness.

The Holy Spirit will convict people of their sins as they become aware of them. (At least, that's been my experience.) However, someone can be a practicing homosexual and still be a Christian if they are not aware that it is a sin or have been convinced by others that it is not a sin.

My $.02, and you can keep the change. :)

Well, personally speaking, whilst I've seen claims that God and Jesus are infalliable, I've never seen any that claim that the Apostle James is likewise infalliable. I mean, thanks for the opinion and all, James, but you're not God, are you?

I don't see the problem here - what makes homosexuals different from any other sinner? If you believe in the original sin (go on, just you stop being descended from Adam!) then you're all in the same boat as the practicing homosexual that knows his sexual proclivities are a sin, repents of that sin, but lacks the will to stop, instead trusting that Jesus will forgive him his weakness if he approaches in penitence.

Few people are strong enough to swear a life of chastity. Few of those actually go through with it successfully.

Didasko said:
Don't you love the way DV brings these topics up to watch us disagree with eachother...lol

You have to remember DV that Christian does not mean perfect:)

LOL :)

All part of my master plan!

Trust me, I know that being a Christian doesn't equate to perfection.

Eon said:
...but lacks the will to stop...
That's the key... First of all, the Holy Spirit is the one that changes people's will so that they desire to leave their sin behind.

Now if you meant "willpower", that is another area that most people are confused about. Willpower will never work because we do not have the strength to defeat sin on our own. We all must have help from God to do so.

And God promises to help us in times of temptation if we keep our minds open to Him. Jesus didn't conquer sin and death on the cross so that we could continue living sinful lives with a Bible in our hands. He hung on that cross and suffered so that we could live victorious lives. So what do we have victory over? Sin and death! And I for one praise God for it!

So, when someone comes to me and says "I don't have the power to quit [insert sin here]" I say "You're right, you don't but God does.".

The Bible promises that we have power over evil because of Jesus, and that we have the victory, we are over-comers and more than conquerers.
Also, the Bible would not tell us to do something that is impossible for us.

That's all I need to know that sin has lost it's hold on me, and every Christian.

In that case, and I hesitate to use sarcasm but feel the point must be made, there must be about four "Real" Christians in the world - because looking at the list of sins and matching them up with Christians... Well, do you know anyone that doesn't sin?

Eon said:
In that case, and I hesitate to use sarcasm but feel the point must be made, there must be about four "Real" Christians in the world - because looking at the list of sins and matching them up with Christians... Well, do you know anyone that doesn't sin?

If your sarcasm made sense it would make a better point I am sure:)

I think I can safely say that James is not implying that Christians will be completely without sin. If that were the case the number would be zero not four.

All Christians sin. However, we should sin less and less as we mature and are lead by the spirit of God. The point I made above about the difference between living in sin and sinning occasionally should help you understand.

After a person is saved they will begin straightening their life out. It is not instant and is not complete until they are called home by God. If a person does not change after 'accepting Christ' then they did not really accept Christ as their Lord and Savior in the first place.

It's not that difficult to understand. It's actually very straight forward. Homosexuallity is a lifestyle. If a homosexual becomes a Christian it will not take long for them to understand that their lifestyle is wrong. God makes it very clear in the Bible that he will not allow us to be tempted beyond what we can indure.

There is no excuse for continuing to 'live in sin' after someone has become a Christian. Homosexuallity is only one example of a lifestyle that is not acceptable to continue after being saved.

Homosexuallity is a lifestyle. If a homosexual becomes a Christian it will not take long for them to understand that their lifestyle is wrong.

Bingo. Thanks for summarizing in one sentence what it would have taken me three paragraphs to say. :)

And what if it turns out that homosexuality is only in part a lifestyle? That some individuals are more prone to the homosexual lifestyle by their inherent nature?

That would certainly complicate things.

So is homosexuality a sin? “It depends” is my answer. The question is no longer ‘gay’ or ‘straight’ but an issue of love in the relationship. First and foremost, is this relationship encouraging both partners’ spiritual growth and relationship with God?” And second, is this a relationship loving and healthy for both parties? God is not concerned with the superficial things that worry us. He does not care what our sexual orientation, gender, skin color, or church affiliation is. These things have no meaning to God. He goes straight to the heart of the matter and simply asks the question, “Is this relationship based on, and operating in, My love or not?”

Taken from here.

I found that rather interesting. Why is this unacceptable?

Mr.Bill said:
And what if it turns out that homosexuality is only in part a lifestyle? That some individuals are more prone to the homosexual lifestyle by their inherent nature?

If a person becomes a Christian it does not matter whether homosexuallity is something they are prone to or not. God will give them the strength to overcome the lifestyle. The same is true of addiction to drugs etc...

Mr.Bill said:
Taken from here.

I found that rather interesting. Why is this unacceptable?

lol...this is totally unbiblical. You can argue til your blue in the face but in the end...the Bible is very very clear on this issue. God definitely does care about the issue. It is foolish in the extreme to accept any of the Bible if you are not going to accept all of it.

With God it's all or none.

Mr.Bill said:

If it can be proven that people have tendencies toward homosexuality, then it falls under the same category as those who were children of alcoholics that have tendencies towards alcoholism, that were abused as a child who have a tendency to abuse, etc. Having a tendency to sin does not make sin acceptable.

Um...

First of all, you cannot be a true christian and homosexual. I mean, it's like creating an excuse. The bible BLATENTLY says that homosexuality is bad.

Romans
Leviticus

I do not see how they cannot see that. We left my old church because they accepted Homosexuality. I find it weird. Would someone quote the verses that they say justifies it? Never saw their argument.

Leviticus 18:22 "Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman"| Leviticus 20:13 "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads." Romans 1:26&27"Becuase of this, God gave themover to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and recieved in themselfes the due penalty for their perversion" Here are some verses that clearly state that its WRONG.

Yeah, but this is all the old testament, doomy stuff, right? That's right up there with no pork and don't eat the shellfish, isn't it?

All that oldtime wrath of god stuff is redundant in the face of the New Testament, isn't it?

I don't remember anything in the OT or the NT that suggested that god will get you straight and off the drugs, booze, gambling or whatever. I remember it saying that God will not give you a task harder than you can bear - in other words he will give you the strength to endure until your task is complete, but its Buddhists that believe in earthly perfection, not Christians.

Sounds to me like a plain case of tha haters. Speaking of hating. Didasko - you can diss my sarcasm all you like, but the criticism takes better if you answer the question too. What makes THIS sin different from all the others? How come you can be an alcoholic, thieving, lying, whoring, idolatorous wife beater and be saved, but you can't be Gay?

I think the majority of you are missing the point of the thread.

These Christians are using the Bible to JUSTIFY being Christan AND Homosexual.

How is that possible?

Leviticus is Old Testament, Romans is New Testament; both state Homosexuality as sin. If anyone tries to say otherwise than they are not following the Bible. That may sound harsh, but the truth often is.

Secondly, Dark Virtue:

It is possible to be a Christian and be fighting the temptations of Homosexuality, however it is not possible to be a Christian and freely live a Homosexual lifestyle anymore than it is possible to be a drug-free person while you get high every night. The two just don't mix.

I totally understand what you are saying, but listen to what "I" am saying...

People are doing exactly what you are saying is not possible.

There are Homosexuals who are practicing Christians who have NO intention of changing their lifestyles...AND they are justifying their beliefs with the bible.

I ask that you check out their webpage and tell me what they are doing wrong.

Eon said:
Sounds to me like a plain case of tha haters. Speaking of hating. Didasko - you can diss my sarcasm all you like, but the criticism takes better if you answer the question too. What makes THIS sin different from all the others? How come you can be an alcoholic, thieving, lying, whoring, idolatorous wife beater and be saved, but you can't be Gay?

lol...I don't hate you Eon:) I was just responding to your sarcasm with sarcasm. Sorry if I offended you.

I also do not hate gays. I can disagree with someones lifestyle without hating them.

Eon please read my other posts before you assume I did not answer your question. Read the following quotes from my previous posts in this thread.

Didasko said:
Having said that, homosexuallity is definitely not the only lifestyle of sin. There are many others. Would a homosexual who becomes a Christian by repenting of their sin lose their salvation if they slipped back into their sin for a time? I don't believe so. We all make mistakes and sin. But is a homosexual who continues their lifestyle unabated and refuses to repent a Christian? I don't believe so.

Didasko said:
There is no excuse for continuing to 'live in sin' after someone has become a Christian. Homosexuallity is only one example of a lifestyle that is not acceptable to continue after being saved.

Didasko said:
If a person becomes a Christian it does not matter whether homosexuallity is something they are prone to or not. God will give them the strength to overcome the lifestyle. The same is true of addiction to drugs etc...

All three of these quotes clearly state that homosexuallity is not the only lifestyle of sin that cannot be continued after being saved. There are many and you only list a few yourself.

Dark Virtue said:
I think the majority of you are missing the point of the thread.

These Christians are using the Bible to JUSTIFY being Christan AND Homosexual.

How is that possible?

I haven't missed the point at all DV. The evidence in the Bible for the sinfulness of homosexuality is so overwhelmingly obvious that it's ludicrous to suggest otherwise.

Anyone DV...you, me, homosexuals, killers,...etc. can misquote the Bible to justify whatever we want to. Taken in context and not with the idea of twisting it to fit our desires is the key.

One of the problems that I see with many of your arguments DV is that you will quote just about anyone who claims to be a Christian as a Christian. Being a Christian is not just saying, 'I am a Christian'. Anyone can say that and many say it to advance their own means or some because they have no real idea what it means.

Back