Bulletstorm

Captain_Tea

I saw a commercial for Bulletstorm the other day and it looked pretty cool, are any of you guys playing it?

No, no, and no.

Bulletstorm is right up there with Duke Nukem Forever and Manhunt 2 as embarrassments to gamers.

I'm not saying the game isn't fun or well-designed--just that the language, juvenile humor, and other content make this one a no-go.

That's what makes it appealing. It's supposed to be crass. :p

As for picking it up... reviewers say it has a very short length, sooooo.

No, no, and no.

Bulletstorm is right up there with Duke Nukem Forever and Manhunt 2 as embarrassments to gamers.

I'm not saying the game isn't fun or well-designed--just that the language, juvenile humor, and other content make this one a no-go.

I cannot fathom why some Christian gamers I know are excited about Duke Nukem. Everything I've seen says it will be worse than Bulletstorm though. From what I've seen so far Bulletstorm will probably have copious language (well anything you do with words) and gore. Duke Nukem goes far beyond that. It is nothing like my objections to Dragon Age and Mass Effect those are games with a couple objectionable moments in them. Duke Nukem is a game about objectionable moments. To rephrase watching trailers about Bulletstorm they talk about it's point reward system for killing creatively (and is gory in the process) and there is cussing. Watching trailers about Duke it's selling point is the vulgarity and oh yeah there is gameplay too >.< .

Note: I am in no way recommending Bulletstorm it's just the lesser of two evils.

Hmm you can see enemies' butts in Bulletstorm too in Duke you well you know it's worse. Here are the text only ESRB pages...
Bulletstorm
Duke Nukem Forever

Last edited:
I cannot fathom why some Christian gamers I know are excited about Duke Nukem.
I don't think any Christian gamer excited about DNF is aware of the content of the new game.

Just as American prime time cartoons grew more crass over the years (think of the outrage over early Simpsons episodes, then Beavis and Butthead, then South Park), apparently, so did the Duke Nukem series. Or it would have, had DNF not been stuck in Development Hell for over a decade.

Yes, Duke Nukem 3D was crass in a way that appealed to teen boys of its day. I suppose DNF does the same, but "crass" has segued into "downright vulgar" since DN3D and past the point that I would feel comfortable playing the game.

EDIT: And for the record: DN3D was one of the few first-person shooters of its time, had excellent level design, and terrific multiplayer. Now the market is flooded with first-person shooter and gamers no longer have to decide between a crass and gory game (DN3D), a gory game (Doom II), and no game at all (though I'm sure DNF will sell well regardless, which is an embarrassment in itself). But hey, not every FPS can be as classy as Half-Life 2.

You know it's bad when you stop reading halfway through the ESRB description and hope that all those people you've been telling that games are a legitimate hobby and nothing to be embarrassed about never ever EVER hear about this game.

Let's just keep talking about BioShock, Mass Effect 2, and Grim Fandango and hope that mainstream media never finds out about this game (though I'm sure they will and I'm sure they'll write articles in the usual sensationalist fashion that will set the image of the games industry back a decade).

Last edited:
I cannot fathom why some Christian gamers I know are excited about Duke Nukem. Everything I've seen says it will be worse than Bulletstorm though. From what I've seen so far Bulletstorm will probably have copious language (well anything you do with words) and gore. Duke Nukem goes far beyond that. It is nothing like my objections to Dragon Age and Mass Effect those are games with a couple objectionable moments in them. Duke Nukem is a game about objectionable moments. To rephrase watching trailers about Bulletstorm they talk about it's point reward system for killing creatively (and is gory in the process) and there is cussing. Watching trailers about Duke it's selling point is the vulgarity and oh yeah there is gameplay too >.< .

Note: I am in no way recommending Bulletstorm it's just the lesser of two evils.

Hmm you can see enemies' butts in Bulletstorm too in Duke you well you know it's worse. Here are the text only ESRB pages...
Bulletstorm
Duke Nukem Forever

Reading that ESRB description of Duke Nukem Forever was disgusting and repulsing, that game and the perverts that are making it are a stain on the gaming industry.

Reading that ESRB description of Duke Nukem Forever was disgusting and repulsing, that game and the perverts that are making it are a stain on the gaming industry.

I saw a trailer with one of the perverts making it talking about the game and I can confirm he sounds like a immature moron. Also DNF is being made by the same people who made Borderlands XD . I am quite glad there was little dialog in Borderlands because you can see shades of what they think is funny in it XD .

Back to Bulletstorm.... I may end up picking it up one of these days. I was sooo excited when the news from my favorite developer began emerging for this game. With some of the later trailers and game footage I started to get a bit worried about the content. Gore doesn't bother me in the least, but the language IS too crass for me. I saw where Epic claimed it has options to tone down both the gore and language. The gameplay of the demo was fun enough that when it goes on sale and I can confirm how much the language option affects dialog, I'll may get it. The wise cracks in Bulletstorm brought to mind Serious Sam which was an absolutely wonderful game.

Also DNF is being made by the same people who made Borderlands XD . I am quite glad there was little dialog in Borderlands because you can see shades of what they think is funny in it XD .

Gearbox only picked DNF up to finish it off. You can bet that DNF contained every bit of that stuff before they got it. That's not to excuse them for being involved, I'm just saying that other Gearbox releases aren't necessarily going to follow the same trend.

Last edited:
I'll buy the game depending on danny monsters review. As for DNF, I'm waiting for reiviews on that one. Duke Nukem was absolutley one of the most important games back then. I'm not wasting money on something just because it's contraversial (example manhunt 2)

Moreso than the content I think that the $60 pricetag and lack of PC demo will most likely keep me away for now. I don't like to buy games without trying them 1st.

PC Demo is coming later, probably in a couple weeks. Danny Monster review is coming soon as well... I just got a copy for free :O

I didn't get it free from Epic, it was through a giveaway at the wonderful Beyond Unreal.

Anyways, a quick update... I have some technical problems related to Games for Windows Live that prevented me from playing so far, but then again I only tried to solve it for less than half an hour. That's a disappointment but certainly not too abnormal for games these days, unfortunately.

I DO have an update regarding the language option. I read some more on the development of Bulletstorm. They went a lot further with this option than most developers. Turing off the cuss-like-a-sailor language doesn't just remove dialog lines or bleep out words, they've provided a whole alternate set of clean dialog. I hope a lot more developers will take the time to do this!

Back