Building Computer Desk - Questions

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
Hey all,

I've decided to build a desk to house my new computer. I searched the web and found probably over 100 desks, all of which are poorly designed or don't fit my needs well enough.

In my observations, I found that there are essentially three different types of desks, which include office desks, minimalist desks, and what i like to call "closet" desks.

Office desks are typically huge, heavy, expensive, and not very good for organizing things. I found that they tend to fit people who need a lot of surface area, but not much else. The storage is typically minimal. As a part of their "professional" look, they tend to not have a hatch, as hatches seem to make the work area appear cluttered.

Minimalist desks are very simple, and typically have just the table top, and maybe a drawer. They vary in size, but most of them are small and compact. Minimalist desks are inexpensive, lightweight, and easy to put together.

"Closet" desks are called that because they have lots of shelves, appear cluttered, and are disproportionately tall. They vary in cost and weight, and though enormous, have very little usable surface area.

One thing that all of these desks have in common is lack of a suitable placement for the computer itself; it seems like the machine comes as an after-thought in the design of the desks. Also, nearly all keyboard trays are only big enough for the keyboard itself, and not the mouse. You can scrunch the two together by moving the keyboard over, but then it's terribly off-center and you end up typing over your leg and not center over your lap.

I need a desk that has the best elements of all of these; I want something that has a lot of surface area but also some cabinet storage; something that is simple in its design but looks professional. Most importantly, it needs to be functional. That's why I'm going to be designing a desk that has a much larger keyboard tray, a place to mount the 3 front speakers, subwoofer, and the machine itself, drawers for files, games, and miscellaneous, and possibly even a recessed portion for the monitor (so that it sits 1/2" lower than the desk itself, and is more at eye-level. As a student, I need a lot of surface area for study and research. As a gamer, I need room to store a 23" monitor and large case. And, since the computer is where I do nearly all of my work at home, I need a few drawers to store items and not have them messily displayed on the desk top.

My questions to you are: What do you like most about your desk, and if you were to buy a new one what would you want it to have? Have you built a desk before and if so 1) how long did it take and 2) did it serve your needs?

Maybe I'm just being too picky, but I find it somewhat surprising that no one has built or designed a good professional gaming/office desk yet.

Off-topic, but as I write this it sounds like my power supply is failing; it's a good thing I ordered the new parts when I did!

Last edited:
I've never built a desk but have had the interest towards cabinet making/carpentry for quite awhile. If it's in the budget next year, I do plan to buy a table saw and start making cabinets. Custom building is always great because you build in accordance with your needs. I have an oak desk that could use more surface area. Plus since I use a G15 Keyboard, I had to lengthen the keyboard tray by attaching about a 2.5-inch piece of wood to it. Here's a picture of it:

DSC02775.jpg

It's a 2 speaker system that's placed behind the monitor. The subwoofer was the exact height to place in the bottom bookshelf. There's 2 bookshelves above that in the hutch that hold software & computer discs. Behind the desk is a bookshelf for more software. There was no place for the tower so it's just off to the side.

I have been considering this also.

One thing I have found to be incredibly comfortable is to go to the local lumber yard and purchase a large flat surface and then take a saw and cut out a semi circle...this allows your to rest your arms on more desk surface because you sit more "within" the semi circle. Sand it down, round out the edges, stain it, and then gloss it up with some polyurethene (however its spelled)....or top it off with a nice smooth formica surface.

You can figure out a base to fit your needs, but I have used 2-3 half sized file cabinets that worked out well enough and was pretty inexpensive. My only issue was that it slid a bit on the file cabinets from time to time, but you can easily remedy that with some sort of stopper fixed to the underneath of the desk and flush to the top of the file cabinets to prevent sliding.

You also might try Googling a guy who made a computer chair out of a luxury power carseat. He claims its the most comfortable computer chair he has ever had and has the power seat buttons hooked up to a powersupply that is fixed underneath the seat. He picked his up at a local junkyard for about $100 and now has a heated computer chair with lumbar support and power positioning!

Last edited:
For my part, of the styles of desks I've tried I've found the most comfortable to be a simple large desk surfaces with no major addons. Putting a keyboard tray or drawer over your legroom makes it more cramped, plus the instability of a tray can sometimes be annoying. Drawers and cabinets are nice to have nearby, but I don't prefer them to be a part of the desk itself, better to have lots of legroom for better comfort and maneuverability.

My personal recommendation would be a large fairly bare bones desk with lots of room to work on and plenty of legroom, place the tower nearby, accessible but out of the way, and a separate series of drawers/shelves/cabinets within reach to the side, or at the back of the desk. Keeping things separate will also tend to make it easier when you inevitably have to move it.

Here's what I got so far. It's not final yet, but I like it so far.

Let me know if you have any suggestions. Oh, and I realize some of the measurements are a little off. Part of this is because some of the measurements don't include the side panel walls, and some do, so there's a discrepancy of an inch or two.

desktop.jpg

The biggest advantages of this are that I get more legroom, room to have dual monitors on the main desktop, a little more storage, a very wide tray for the keyboard and mouse, and a place to keep my PC that should keep it cleaner and allow for better ventilation. I also plan on having two side speaker nooks on the side.

I basically just took the design of my existing desk, and without making it any larger I was able to place more storage, allow for more usable desktop space, and keep a place for my PC and subwoofer, just by moving things around.

Last edited:
Nice. Only problem I see is putting your computer in a box will limit air flow and cause problems. Found this out the hard way when I put mine in the same sort of setup.

Nice. Only problem I see is putting your computer in a box will limit air flow and cause problems. Found this out the hard way when I put mine in the same sort of setup.

The cabinet will have open ventilation; I'm only adding a 1/3 wall so that it looks like a cabinet, but is actually very open in the back where the PC rests. I'll have to test acoustics and such, but I might leave the subwoofer cabinet open too.

I think this is just about the final model. The only significant difference between this and the actual design is there is going to be a large vent integrated in the PC cabinet door.

Back