Building a Gaming PC

I also Build my own Pc, but there are specific things you need to decide,
1. Whats your Budget [HCS Speaks the truth, This will decide what level parts you put in your new toy]
2. Whats the pc going to be used for Primarily[Internet, Film Productions, or the usual Gaming]
3. 3 Key decisions need to be made: Cpu, Mothorboard, and Ram[depending on which models you decide greatly affects the other 2, example: Core I7 requires a X58 motherboard, but Ram may be DDR 2 or 3]
4. Video Card: Single, Dual, Triple or Quad
5. PSU: ensure your PSU is large enough to cover all required needs at max performance
6. My personal preferences may not fit your budget[I know you said around 1K] and although the parts I would reccomend are quality I would feel bad later if you were unsatisfied, so If a reccomendation is taken or made then I suggest research, research and then Research some more, as there are a Multitude of sources on the Internet about any given product.

If this is your first build, its not hard, just have to be careful in parts and Have fun doing it :)

I plan on starting my upgrades again in 2009[Not looking forward to it, $$$ is always a issue]
Current Rig:
Cpu C2E Qx6850
MB. Asus P5K3 Deluxe
Gpu: Nvidia 8800 Ultra Oc
Psu: Thermaltake 1000w
Ram: 2gb DDR 3 @ 1333
HD: 500 gb x 2
Case: Thermaltake Kandalf[Lcs/water cooled]

Took me 6 months to decide on the Key parts :D

$1000 is about the budget I can probably get my wife to buy off on. I'm going to want probably 4GB of RAM, dual video cards, and use is strictly for gaming/internet (specific gaming tendencies are listed in my first post).

And yes, CCGR, I LOVE those tiny boxes. It'd be nice to have a portable PC since I deploy on ships all the time.

4 gigs of ram is a nogo unless you want to go with a 64 bit os..i have explained multiple items why this is..:)

2-3 gigs is your best bet..since modern processors require pairs two 1 gigs plus two .5 gigs is good..depending on how much ram is on the video card(that counts towards installed ram in windows)

2-3 gigs is your best bet..since modern processors require pairs two 1 gigs plus two .5 gigs is good..depending on how much ram is on the video card(that counts towards installed ram in windows)

With dual channel all the sticks need to be the same. So you are going to be limited to .5, 1, 2, or 4GB of ram.

As for dual video cards, generally it is not worth the cost. Getting a good mid level card will get you the best bang for the buck and will run virtually everything on the market maxed out. Wait about a year and a half and you can upgrade to the next generation (which will generally always perform better). You don't need to spend 500+ dollars on a video card, as it will be obsolete in under a year.

no need for that..I am no fanboi..i recommend what's best for the job at hand..and the only way AMD right now can stand up is 2 socket or more servers and purely price..they are behind everywhere else unfortunately.,

no need for that..I am no fanboi..i recommend what's best for the job at hand..and the only way AMD right now can stand up is 2 socket or more servers and purely price..they are behind everywhere else unfortunately.,

Actually for floating point performance AMD is still the leader iirc. Intel has always had better integer performance (which most programming logic uses).

right now the fp difference is less than the error rate of the tests running them unless you are into 2 or more sockets or on servers.

Since I don't know what you two (Hescominsoon, Vibrokatana) are talking about, I don't think Wh1te Out knows either.

I chose AMD because it was better for Gaming.
Plus the requirements of a game isn't as high as a Intel.

2.4Ghz AMD = 2.8Ghz Intel. (Something like that)

Personally, its up to Wh1te Out.

If he/she wants power and energy efficiency, get Intel.
Otherwise, AMD is quite cheap. You can get the best AMD CPU for less than $200.

Since I don't know what you two (Hescominsoon, Vibrokatana) are talking about, I don't think Wh1te Out knows either.

I chose AMD because it was better for Gaming.
Plus the requirements of a game isn't as high as a Intel.

Over time companies reengineer their products to get more performance out. Intel dropped the forsaken netburst (p4) architecture and went back to the p3 (then pentium M). That was basically two P-M cores glued together and was called the core duo. After that intermediate release they released a redesigned core 2 chip and now have one called "i7" out (it is still in the $400+ range, so I don't care about it).

Over time companies reengineer their products to get more performance out. Intel dropped the forsaken netburst (p4) architecture and went back to the p3 (then pentium M). That was basically two P-M cores glued together and was called the core duo. After that intermediate release they released a redesigned core 2 chip and now have one called "i7" out (it is still in the $400+ range, so I don't care about it).

First, I was thinking if you can use that CPU but still go to the 1k balance.

But turns out, when you get that CPU, you must go all high or no point buying it.

Intel i7 only uses DDR3! And their cheap! :eek: *cries*

You got the cheapest Intel i7 MB, CPU and DDR3 for almost $700! *whines*

MAN! That just leaves out the Video Card, Hard Drive and ROM. But the last 2 are cheaper!

Well, it looks like you can get the newest Intel i7 for 1k, Wh1te Out. :eek:

Intel i7 MB; $258.99
GTX260 Video Card: $209.99
Intel i7 CPU; $299.99
i7 3GB DDR3 RAM; $118.00

And the PSU too. But overall, its close to 1k.

That must make you happy, Hescominsoon. ;)

Last edited:
corp,

I nor vibro ever said going corei7 is viable right now..the latest core 2 series is what's going on. I personally never recommend bleeding edge like the core i7 and ddr3

For now, I would say a Micro ATX Case/Mobo ($250), a Duo Core E8400 ($160ish, easily Overclocked to 3.8 or higher), ddr2 ram for cheap ($40 bucks for 2 gigs), cheap 9800gt for about $125, PSU for $70, OS and accessories depending can be bought locally. That's roughly $625 with plenty of room to upgrade certain parts or even get a decent LCD monitor. It doesn't have to run Crysis at max with the settings out the window, but like they stated, playable current games at a reasonable price.

Last edited:
Back