Blizzard Announce World of Warcraft Security Key

Bigb04202

I find it semi interesting I know everyone knows someone who has lost their account.

http://www.gametab.com/news/2640487/

Does your "brother" download lots of dodgy files that are often infected with World of Warcraft account-stealing trojans? If so, Blizzard has introduced a nifty real-world security key to help prevent further 'incidents.'

Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. today introduced an optional extra layer of security for World of Warcraft, its award-winning massively multiplayer online role-playing game. Designed to attach to a keychain, the lightweight and waterproof Blizzard Authenticator is an electronic device that generates a six-digit security code at the press of a button. This code is unique, valid only once, and active for a limited time; it must be provided along with the account name and password when signing in to the World of Warcraft account linked to it.
This optional security measure will be available for a cost of €6.00 at the 2008 Blizzard Entertainment Worldwide Invitational, which takes place June 28-29 in Paris, France. In addition, the Blizzard Authenticator will be made available for purchase via Blizzard Entertainment’s European websites in the near future for a cost of €6.00 plus shipping.

Same thing almost all banks use in Europe (we are slow to adopt in the US).

Easy solution to Blizzards problem:

1. Website account management on a different password then the password to log into the game.
2. In account management, provide a button that says "Back up Account" that is free to press once a week and $10 a year for unlimited pressing.
3. In account management, provide a button that says "Restore Account" that restores your account from the last backup...be careful, it overwrites everything
4. In account management, provide a button that says "Lock account" should you notice somebody has hacked it
5. Require 8 or 12 digit passwords, but the user only inputs 4 or 6 or 8 of the digits, random number of digits everytime, random digits everytime ie...if your password is:

1L1K31K3DUD3

Then on one log-in provide the user an input screen like XX_X_XXX_X_X requiring entry of 4 digits, them being 1,3,D,D

Then the next time it will be X_X_ _X_ _X_X_, requiring you to enter 6 digits being L, K, 3, K, 3, U, 3

That way what is being transmitted everytime you log on is different and trojans really have no way of knowing what the password is and what is being asked.

Last edited:
but the bots can easily read the pages that they're logged in under which makes 5 (and arguably 1) less secure; physical multi-factor authentication is tops imo!

but...is the motive behind this to make it more difficult to sell toons? hrrrm... i guess since it's optional, probably not...but something to keep in mind

We have the same thing for our computers at work. I work in a medical lab and the keys are to protect Private Health Information. I think it is a good idea for people who are worried about that sort of thing and cheaper than buying a Mac. ;)

Back