Black Friday as a symptom of a diseased culture

Thanksgiving imo is a holday to give thanks for the harvest (that is why it is in the fall after the harvesting is done). What better time to stock up for the winter than after the harvest? Although I agree that the Canadian version of the holiday may be different than yours and a lot less significant in this country.

Remember that it is a National holiday based on economics to begin with and shopping doesn't seem that out of line.

Well, the American version has nothing whatsoever to do with economics - at least outside of the concept that wealth is a sign of blessing from God.

[FONT=arial, HELVETICA]Thanksgiving Proclamation [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, HELVETICA] City of New York[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, HELVETICA] October 3, 1789 [/FONT]
by: George Washington

Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor, and Whereas both Houses of Congress have by their Joint Committee requested me “to recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanks-giving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness.”

Now therefore I do recommend and assign Thursday the 26th. day of November next to be devoted by the People of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being, who is the beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be. That we may then all unite in rendering unto him our sincere and humble thanks, for his kind care and protection of the People of this country previous to their becoming a Nation, for the signal and manifold mercies, and the favorable interpositions of his providence, which we experienced in the course and conclusion of the late war, for the greatest degree of tranquillity, union, and plenty, which we have since enjoyed, for the peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national One now lately instituted, for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge and in general for all the great and various favors which he hath been pleased to confer upon us.

And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech him to pardon our national and other transgressions, to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually, to render our national government a blessing to all the People, by constantly being a government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executived and obeyed, to protect and guide all Sovereigns and Nations (especially such as have shown kindness unto us) and to bless them with good government, peace, and concord. To promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the encrease of science among them and Us, and generally to grant unto all Mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as he alone knows to be best.

Well, the American version has nothing whatsoever to do with economics - at least outside of the concept that wealth is a sign of blessing from God.

Very cool....totally different meaning....same name for the holiday.

Tek please respond to my following Dilema:
My issue as presented in this thread is not with consumers. It's with retailers pushing the "religion of consumption" at a time where the afterglow of giving thanks should, ideally, be encouraging people to reflect on the blessings they've received.

I know that your intentions are to bless your mom. I don't doubt that.

On the other hand, I believe the retail establishment's goal is not so dissimilar to the street corner drug dealer as American society has been trained to think. What is the difference between the pimp and the advertising executive?

For the record, I don't have issues with companies informing consumers about their products. What does bother me are commercials that imply that a person should base his or her happiness on material wealth instead of faith, family, or something more meaningful than stuff.

Personally, I think you're being a tad paranoid.

We live in a capitalistic society - as such, the accumulation of wealth by businesses/persons is a driving force of said society.
My issue is not so much with the push for consumers to spend, it's with the timing of Black Friday. Can't consumers get one more week safe from the barrage of "holiday" ads?

It's all the about the money....Nothing else, money!!!
It's their right to do what they can to get our dollar, as it's our right to not spend our dollar.
Christmas is for Christ and as Christians we need to treat it as such and not fall into the "What do I want for Christmas?" trap. It should be "What can I do that honors the birth of our Savior?" Getting as much "loot" as you can sure doesn't!! Giving of your time and helping others does!! (and don't forget to say "Merry Christmas and MEAN it, whenever you can!)

Last edited:
<Sings> Money, Money, MONEY! </Sings>

It's all the about the money....Nothing else, money!!!
It's their right to do what they can to get our dollar, as it's our right to not spend our dollar.
Christmas is for Christ and as Christians we need to treat it as such and not fall into the "What do I want for Christmas?" trap. It should be "What can I do that honors the birth of our Savior?" Getting as much "loot" as you can sure doesn't!! Giving of your time and helping others does!! (and don't forget to say "Merry Christmas and MEAN it, whenever you can!)

<sarcasm alert> Now, now we have to be all inclusive. It's not "Merry Christmas" it's Happy Holidays" and it's not Christmas trees it's "Holiday Trees". Honestly retailers were doing that year or so ago, blech!. Technically doesn't that discriminate against atheists because the term "Holiday" comes from "Holy day" um how about "Seasons Greetings"? -_- </sarcasm alert>

Almost anything can become sinful if it becomes your overriding reason for doing everything. Retailers being people must believe in something, but, it seems like their choices of what to sell and how to sell it are motivated exclusively by money and no one should be motivated by that alone. Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. Consumers fall can fall into that trap sometimes too. I am not willing to buy anything from anyone just to save few dollars and have my money go to a immoral cause. Neither will I succumb to the rudeness and mob mentality craziness just to get a rare item. Competition is fine, rudeness is not.

Back