Bible Qs

G

The LORD said, "If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. 7 Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other."

Y did he scatter them and confuse them. U would think he would want them to work together. It makes no sence. Babylon is in Iraque right? I want to go there. I didn't know there was a guy named Nimrod. That was pretty funny. I got tired of reading the whole geneology part so I skipped it.

I think the city of Babel and Babylon are two seperate cities. In the city of Babel a tower was built, and hence called, the Tower of Babel. This was a very evil city and the people in it were evil and very much against God. My understanding is that many of todays new age religions started in that city. Also, according to Genesis 11, the tower was not built to glorify God, rather to mock God.

Although the language and people became scattered, it is all becoming one again. And the closer we are to becoming a global nation of one people, the more we act like the citizens of babel. And the bible prophesies that the world will unite under one banner again and again, our technological progress will be quite phenominal. Food for thought, in the last 40 years, we have seen more advancement in technology and non-technological skills then in other point in recorded history.

Now the whole world had one language and a common speech. 2 As men moved eastward, they found a plain in Shinar and settled there.
They said to each other, "Come, let's make bricks and bake them thoroughly." They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar. 4 Then they said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves and not be scattered over the face of the whole earth."
But the LORD came down to see the city and the tower that the men were building. The LORD said, "If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other."
So the LORD scattered them from there over all the earth, and they stopped building the city. That is why it was called Babel -because there the LORD confused the language of the whole world. From there the LORD scattered them over the face of the whole earth.

It doesn't seem to be evil, it looks like they were building a high tower so that the would be closer to god

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It doesn't seem to be evil, it looks like they were building a high tower so that the would be closer to god

Genesis 11:4
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves

They didn't build it to be closer to God.

but they built it so that they would be famous an live a greater or life.
Or to make themselfs kings.
Thats not a sin we have kings and queens.

Come, let us build ourselves a website , with a with alot of members, so that we may make a name for ourselves

same thing almost

The website you might build isn't an attempt to reach God in an unnatural way, though. They were building a tower that would be so high that it reaches heaven, so that they could make a name for themselves with so much magnificence that their name may be comparable to that of God. While a king or queen may exalt themself by having their throne be placed above their people, Babel was an attempt to make a place of equal height to heaven, or God's crib.

Yeah GOd crid. I wonder f he's got the plasma screen. HaHa.
Next time on MTV's Cribs we're visiting Heaven.

haha real nice:)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Joseph @ June 13 2004,11:38)]"If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them.  Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other."
When I read the part "then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them" it seems lke he was scared that they are getting to powerful. Like he wanted to hold them back. I don't know that what it seems like.
U could say that they were an evil city and that they were trying to make a name for themselves with so much magnificence that their name may be comparable to that of God. But y does that line seem like he feared them. If he was god he wouldn't hae anything to fear.
I don't know thats just what I fealt. For some reason that line was stuck in my head and when I was saying it in my head over and over again thats what came to me.

I don't think God was fearing man. He was fearing what this PRIDE would do to man.

Think of what's happened in society today becuase of evolution. Science used to be the christian domain. People believe in God and were scientific. ( this is very loose). suddenly man comes up with a 'theory' which isn't proven, and slowly over a little time abortions are ok, do what you like, as long as it only affects you, being gay is cool, sex changes, cos you were born wrong??? etc.

Imagine how stuffed things would be today, if God didn't bring confusion then. He won't do it again, but he's coming back sooner that we think. Where were you on 9/11. Suddenly! everythings different.

Food for thought...

sealcomm

I don't think being gay or sexual change, or abortion is bad. If your gay your gay, there's this whole thing about gay marriages being wrong and if u look at it right now the divorce rate is at around 50%. There have been gay couples living together for 20 30 years and still in love, so if thats your thing its cool. The gay people I know are real cool, their nice people. And their not really hurting anyone. So I have no problem.
Isn't there gay pastors now. I think there's one at a church pretty close to where I live.
U know for me I was raised Catholic and condoms are considered a sin. Yet u could look at everyone in the church and u know that atleast 90% of them have used them.
I think people shouldn't worry about all these things and live. Treat everyone with respect and everything is cool.
Yeah but science didn't evolve as fast as it would if there was no religion. I think scientists were scared that if they found something that the church didn't like they would be persicuted.
Wasn't Galilo persicuted for some of his theories. I might be wrong I have a bad memory but I think I'm right.
U see the amount of people that were killed because they thought they were witches. I was reading about one of them and these people would meet once every few weeks, and they were bacicly swingers, it was an orgy. But people in the town said it was sin so they burned them alive.
I always wonder how these people who did all these killings thought what they were doing wasn't a sin.
I think if he didn't do it we would be a closer planet. Less people would be dead because of war, and u probobly wouldn't have 9/11 because if u're right there wouldn't be muslims, or budists, or hindus, we would all be christians. We would of evolved alot faster. I think people would be alot smarter.
I still dont think he's was afraid of PRIDE, because he would of also seen what the future would be if he scattered everyone.

They wanted to make a name for themselves. They could not accept the fact that God was blessing them, and providing for them. THEY wanted to do something for themselves, Wanted to be great, wanted all the glory and honor. God told them that is not to be the case. They wanted to finish this tower and have people say

"wow, the people of Babel are gods, they are so great, they live in the heavens"

Response would be
"yeah we know we are great give us____"

God tells us to have a humble attitude everything we do, every breath you take is a gift given to you by God, He does not owe to you, He does not have to give it to you, It is a free gift for you.

God lets that happen, then who knows how arrogant and self centered this world would be now.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I think if he didn't do it we would be a closer planet. Less people would be dead because of war, and u probobly wouldn't have 9/11 because if u're right there wouldn't be muslims, or budists, or hindus, we would all be christians. We would of evolved alot faster. I think people would be alot smarter.

Just so you know, you will get your wish. You can count on one thing, the bible prophesies that all religions will be brought under one banner and it will not be Christian. And the people will jump with joy in the streets saying "Peace, peace has come at last." I just wouldn't want to be around when that happens.

I would, hopefully germany will be there and we can have octoberfest everyday.

sarcasm?
I like my imported beer.
I can't live without a Molson or Stella.
And have u seen the glasses they use for octobafest.

! !
!^^^^!- -] <-----big beer mug
! !_ _]
! !
~~~~~

well before u go out exploring u create homes for u to live in then u go out to explore. Do u think the british went around exploring without setting up a base camp.

because they were building a city to live in. But it doesn't say that they were not going to go explore after they complete building the city. They didn't get enough time to complete their city.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Joseph @ June 17 2004,2:18)]because they were building a city to live in. But it doesn't say that they were not going to go explore after they complete building the city. They didn't get enough time to complete their city.
Your comments are purely speculation, based on nothing. The bible text is pretty clear their intentions were to glorify themselves.

Back