Bible contains errors

Good point.  If you try to explain God by how we understand things in an universe that is limited, we limit God.

We can use an analogy to help us understand God but, that understanding will be limited by what is the limiting factors on the analogy.  For example, God is a trinity, God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Ghost.  The analogy of H20 in liquid, gas and solid form is quite good, it is limited by the fact, H2O can not exist in all three states at once.  God exists as all members of the Trinity at once.

Maybe, as analogies go, ourselves are a better example.  We have three distinct identities (other than me, myself and I).  There is the physical, spiritual and mind.  Three parts existing seperatly and as one at the same time.  But again, our analogy is limited in that we are not Omni-everything, we are still limited to this universe, our thoughts and actions are linear, we are affected by gravity and most of all, we are affected by sin.

When saying that the only errors there are, is the error of limiting God, I also mean by those who say there are errors in the Bible.  They take their limited understanding of the universe and attempt to limit God to that box.  All the errors on the site listed in the first post can be explained simply and corrected with the understanding that God is not limited to our understanding of the universe.

actually Sax, water exists in all 3 states at the same time.

The actual analogy was using all matter as a reference point, so to keep the analogy, you would use all water as the reference point. So using the water I have water vapor in the air, ice in the freezer and liquid water in the sink. That's water in all 3 states at the same time.

Lag--basicaly what I'm sayig is that I understand the Trinity. The Father is the Father, Jesus is Jesus, and the Holy Ghost is the Holy Ghost, yet they are all God, and we're still only worshiping 1 God. This presents no paradox in my mind, and I don't see it as such. The problem that people have in understanding the Trinity is the concept of 3 distinct entities in/as 1 unifrom entity. The analogies are there to supply this same concept from things that are so ingrained in us that we accept them without question. As I said, I've mapped unknowns unto knowns.

Ultima I've seen no bickering on this thread. It's a discussion/debate. party A gives a point, party b gives a point. That's how this thing works
smile.gif

But alas, I say we move on from this, and unless someone has something else new and/or constructive to say we let this thread go bye-bye...
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kidan @ May 06 2003,10:22)]actually Sax, water exists in all 3 states at the same time.

The actual analogy was using all matter as a reference point, so to keep the analogy, you would use all water as the reference point.  So using the water I have water vapor in the air, ice in the freezer and liquid water in the sink.  That's water in all 3 states at the same time.
Kidan, one of us is missing something.

In your example, using all the water population as one as an analogy is still limited. Why?

Only some of the water is liquid, only some of it is solid and only some of it is gas.

Can you think of a time when all the water is liquid, all the water is solid and all the water is gas at the same time?

All of it has to be in all three states at the same time. Not just a sample of it as liquid, some as solid and some as gas to make up the population.

God would be analogous to all the water being liquid, solid and gas at the exact same time. All of it. Not part of him in the air, part in the freezer and part in the sink.

I am trying to say, that the limit on your analogy is the fact that water can only be in one state at any one point in time as part of the whole. I am not saying your analogy is bad, I am just saying it is limited to the laws of this universe, which God is not.

I concur sax
biggrin.gif

And kidan: What you have been saying doesn't really fully enclose the Trinity. You arn't really talking about how they are all equally powerful, distinct, relational, etc. Whenever I try to really think out the Trinity, my head hurts/explodes.

What you have been saying you understand is just the basic idea of the Trinity, which is all I think we (as humans) can understand.

Like, try thinking of the bounds of the universe, and anything amazing, and it IS the trinity. When you start thinking of the Trinity like that, it becomes a lot more complex.

Ever read Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions?
Geez that stuff is mind-boggling...but it makes sense. Geometry and whatnot, and it's really cool. We have three dimensions here, and I strongly believe a fourth exists, but we have yet to find it.
(Personally, I think the fourth dimension is either imagination or spiritual realms...layed on top of the other three, yet its own, intangible form...personally)

WE WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND GOD SO LET'S GET TO WORK>

There are actually four known dimensions, the fourth being time.

I believe in a meta-physical (not or above physical, I think) "layer" that also has the same four dimensions we do. I don't really think about it, as its not too important to the way we live as Christians. *shrug*

Yeah I know but it's cool...really cool.
I wonder that if I went back in time would God exist? I mean, He says "I was, am and will be." I think that means that even in this "I AM" existence, if I went back, he will not be "I WAS", he will STILL be, "I AM." That's what I think anyways. But I like to think about these weird things. This girl and guy in my class thinks it's playing God to mess around in time. I don't..."Oh but say you went and stopped Jesus from being crucified...that's playing God." Well is it? I thought God was in control of all things...so I don't think time travel would disturb Christ's saving death. Personally.

Time is a creation.
Therefore, since we don't know that much about how time works yet, God may have restricted time travel, since He set up the rules. There have been instances of 'disturbances' in time. One of Joshua's battles is one. Elijah's teleportation may be another example of how God slows time down.....

Hezkiah's life expansion, too.
Teleportation? I would think more of transportation. Philip was teleported by the Spirit...and others, I believe. But not Elijah. He was taken away.

I wonder if he'll return as one of the two saints who will be struck down after 3.5 years of preaching to the Antichrist's world...I wonder.

Like in the Left Behind series?
laugh.gif
Could be...could be...all I know is..I think it'd be so incredibly awesome to be one of the two witnesses..what an honor..what glory to God you'd bring..wow =D

Oh yeah totally. "Hey Antichrist. God is God. The end. No matter what you do you can't undo His work. Plus, the world will end, and anyone who sides with the Antichrist is immensely blessed with burning in hell. Oh, gahhhch!" (Saints are killed)..........(Holy music: Saints are resurrected) "Did you think we were done? Uh-uh. We're back boys and we're immortal now. Screw with me again and I'll strike you dead. Yeah that means you. BACK OFF! Anyways, in a few days, God's returning and anyone not with him is wasted. Ciao brown cow."

I don't think it will be that great of a blessing. Sure, a lot of glory to God, maybe. But is it that great? I'm sure we can be stronger witnesses than they on this current life we have. And what to do following the rapture? We return to rule this world for all of a thousand years? And then Armageddon? What luck. Then a new heaven and earth to live upon? Whoooo! That's my payoff, though I think being able to go among the different worlds (I so hope that will be allowed) will be the coolest part of living forever with God. "Hey God, let's go to a Martian dust storm." "Whatever dude. This is eternity."

rofl..different world? martian sand storms?
tounge.gif
sounds like fun, but I doubt we'll wanna leave God's presence =D

Living for eternity in the "New Jerusalem" mentioned in Revelation 21 is more than enough for me... I mean, there's not going to be night, and there won't need to be the sun anymore, as Christ's glory will light up the city... cripes... that's incomprehensible, but... if you think about it, Moses was covered by the hand of God on Sinai and still it was so overpowering that Moses had to put a veil on his head... now that's SOME glory... for eternity? That'll be the best. EVER.

elijah's teleportation = steven's teleportation
moving from point A to point B almost instantaneously.
I'm not talking about when Elijah was carried to heaven by flaming chariots (I'd like to have seen that).

One of King Ahab's men once commented about Elijah's superhuman speed (from God, of course) somewhere....

Back