BF3- Who's in?

This is so stupid, is being able to sell people DLC with no middleman really so important to EA? Are they really going to see more profits by not sharing with Steam when Steam represent probably the large majority of potential PC buyers?

EA should've just ditched their own arrogant attempts at claiming a slice of digital distribution pie and just embraced Steam the way Activision and others have. Most of their PC customers probably would have loved them for doing so, but now they have earned their ire instead; only the most mindless EA fanboys (if such people even exist) ever wanted to be stuck with Origin.

I'll still buy the game, but it's going to bother me somewhat knowing that I played into their assumption that people would put up with their crap for the sake of playing good games. As to whether BF3 has a chance of toppling MW3 I'm gonna make my prediction on that one right now: MW3 wins. As much as I dislike that idea, EA is driving people away from their product, and MW3 will be happy to pick up those who refuse to venture away from Steam.

Good job EA. I really can't say I've seen many business decisions as hardheaded and self destructive as this one.

EA offers games, including Battlefield 3, to all major digital download sites. In doing so, our goal is to not only reach the widest possible global audience with our games, but also to provide ongoing customer support, patches and great new content. We are intent on providing Battlefield 3 players with the best possible experience no matter where they purchase or play the game, and are happy to partner with any download service that does not restrict our ability to connect directly with consumers.

For more on our policy to offer games to any major third party download service, please read here: http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/7372195.page

Gamers can pre-order Battlefield 3 at Origin.com as well as over 100 digital retailers worldwide. EA offers games to all major download services. Unfortunately, Steam has adopted a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content. No other download service has adopted these practices.

We are intent on providing Battlefield 3 players with the best possible experience no matter where they purchase or play their game, and are happy to partner with any download service that does not restrict our ability to connect directly with our consumers. We hope to work out an agreement where Steam can carry Battlefield 3; meanwhile, gamers can pick from the more than 100 digital retailers listed at http://www.battlefield.com/digitaldownload, or go to http://www.origin.com.
I am amazed that EA would insult their customers' intelligence like this. Who in their right mind would believe EA before Valve when it comes to, well, anything?

(Okay, anything other than release dates.)

EDIT: I'll translate the EA PR-speak: "Steam wouldn't let us circumvent their digital storefront and won't let us keep 100% of the profits on DLC, so we're going to strong-arm our customers into buying our games on an entirely different storefront with an entirely separate software client with redundant but inferior features just so we can make even more money."

EDIT#2: Also: YAMS.

Last edited:
CajunGeek, do you know where people can sign up for the beta? I haven't seen much of anything regarding it.

I'm annoyed with the whole Origin thing as well. This lack of a unified platform is part of the reason I do most of my gaming on my Xbox. I don't want one service for a couple games and then another service for few others and then another one for that one game I really enjoy. I'm sure I'm not alone on that. If there wasn't any difference at all, I would be getting this on Xbox.

The Alpha was issued to a select group of veterans from BF2/BC2/MoH. As for the beta, and pre-order stuff, this FAQS from EA should clear up answers:

http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/bat...offers-for-battlefield-3-limited-edition.aspx

Sorry for the late response, was out of town @ Quakecon 2011 in Dallas, TX.

I also notice that Games For Windows Live Marketplace didn't make the list of digital download stores. If they had that, at least they'd have something.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

64 Player combat baby!!

Jets are the new hawtness!!

BF 3...Pre ordered....played all Battlefield series so why stop now, plus DX 11 OH YEAH!!!

Not a huge fan of Origin or the previous EADM, Steam is much better but thats why they make Disc versions:D

MW 3 is also Pre ordered, I disagree with Shadetaker here, I think that many Shooter fans Love the True battlefield feeling from the Battlefield series and as much as I love COD, nothing is more fun in a game than flying/gunning a Plane or chopper, Manning a .50 cal Machine gun on a moving Hmmv or Blasting away the enemy T-90 in a Abrahms(although I like the Bradley myself).
I think each series has pro's and Con's which would no doubt be a long struggle, for me the major difference is map size, vehicles and large open 64 player maps, where as with CoD it is smaller confined battles that are adrenaline surged, tbh I will play either one as long as it is fun and with Friends :)

This article best suits how I feel and I think a few others here: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...battlefield-3-the-difference-is-in-the-pc.ars

Last edited:
really?
Spend 2 mins and watch this and let me know if this is just YAMS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC9-5oKPPlU&feature=player_embedded
Spend two minutes of my life watching footage of a game in a genre that doesn't interest me and won't run on my computer anyway? No thanks.

But to all the fans of military shooters, have at it. We've all got different tastes when it comes to game. If you dig BF3, play in good health--and with good friends! I'm confident ToJ's Battlefield Chapter will return in full strength once BF3 is released. It wouldn't be the first time a game that I'm not interested in is super-popular among ToJ members (i.e. Counter-Strike).

I actually may hold off until this drops in price. Red Orchestra 2 has some features I'm actually looking forward to, AND it has 64 players on one server as well. :O

Spend two minutes of my life watching footage of a game in a genre that doesn't interest me and won't run on my computer anyway? No thanks.

But to all the fans of military shooters, have at it. We've all got different tastes when it comes to game. If you dig BF3, play in good health--and with good friends! I'm confident ToJ's Battlefield Chapter will return in full strength once BF3 is released. It wouldn't be the first time a game that I'm not interested in is super-popular among ToJ members (i.e. Counter-Strike).

You really didn't watch it? Cmon it has TopGun! Its like eerily realistic too.

Last edited:
You really didn't watch it? Cmon it has TopGun! Its like eerily realistic too.
Meh. Realism doesn't thrill me. Military shooters just aren't my thing. I didn't even like Modern Warfare or Bad Company 2, so I think this genre is lost on me. It's a classic case of, "It's not you, it's me."

Hear that everybody? Tek doesn't like playing as the AMERICAN MILITARY in videogames! GO BACK TO LIBERALSVILLE, YOU... COMMIE! *boo* *hiss*

/out of context <3

I'm just hoping BF3 isn't a Bad Company 2 mod with a new suppression effect. It looks similar. :/

No jets, but it did have helicopters.
But it didn't have Mantas or Raptors.

/me loads up UT2004

And for the record, I'm not that interested in playing as any military in any game, but if was going to play YAMS, I'd play as America.

Maybe. It does have two strikes against it though. 1. Yet Another Military Shooter, and 2. No Steam.

!. Another shooter, Yes but Gamers have been biting nails waiting for the Sequel to Battlefield 2, I think BF 3 will go Platinum, especially with 64 players, Jets, and Tanks all on 1 Battlefield and it already is a fantastic looking game, can't wait for the Full Version.:cool:

2. No Steam, in my opinion EA/Dice has been struggling for years trying to design a gaming portal similar to Steam, but Origin will never be as good as Steam for many reasons, selling EA/Dice games only does not help.:eek:

Back