Best PS2 games?

Dark Virtue

I borrowed a PS2 and, having never owned one, find a HUGE library of games opening up to me.

Any suggestions on games that I just can't pass up?

I'm not really interested in FPS games...that's what a mouse and keyboard are for.

I am really interested in Shadow of the Colossus...I'm gonna pick that up this weekend.

I'm playing Bully at the moment to see what all the fuss is about. It's not too bad, but not great. I also rented Gran Turismo 4...and then heard that 3 was much better.

I've never played a Fantasy Star game, so I was thinking about Xii. I also heard good things about Okami & God of War I&II.

Any others?

Thanks!

dynasty warriors 3 or 4
final fantasy 10
gran tourism0 3
dark cloud 1-2
mega man x collections
most armor core games
ace combat games
ff7 dirge of cerebrus
thats all i got for now

A quick list of some of my favorite PS2 games:
  • Final Fantasy XII
  • Guitar Hero
  • Guitar Hero II
  • Katamari Damacy
  • Maximo: Ghosts to Glory
  • Seiken Densetsu 4: Dawn of Mana (US release date: March 2007)
  • Shinobi
  • SoulCalibur III
  • Xenosaga Episode I
  • X-Men Legends II
And, though I'm ashamed to admit it, I enjoyed the following games:
  • Cars
  • Fantastic Four
  • Ice Age 2: The Meltdown
I've played about one hour into Final Fantasy X and haven't touched it since. I can't say I miss it.

I plan to play the following RPGs at some point:
  • Disgaea
  • Dual Hearts
  • Radiata Stories
  • Shadow Hearts
  • Tales of Legendia
  • Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
  • Xenosaga Episode II
  • Xenosaga Episode III
Hope this helps. :D

EDIT: Let me know how Shadow of the Colossus turns out. I've heard good things.

EDIT: I've only played the first two levels of Seiken Densetsu 4: Dawn of Mana, and I have no idea what the characters are saying because I can't read Japanese, but I have to say that the game re-captures the feel of Seiken Densetsu 2 (released in the US as Secret of Mana). I loved Secret of Mana, so that's a major draw for me. The art is a tad too similar to Kingdom Hearts, but I can look past that.

Last edited:
im sorry the only good title on ur RPG list is star ocean, and even then star ocean 2 was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better

edit: add kingdom hearts 1-2 on my list, forgot about em

Last edited:
Id have to disagree about the Gran Turismo 3 stance, 4 is by far better. I have owned both so I do speak from experience.

Last edited:
im sorry the only good title on ur RPG list is star ocean, and even then star ocean 2 was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better
Well, I haven't played any in the second list yet. I just want to sample as many Playstation 2 RPGs as I can and find others (aside from Final Fantasy XII and Xenosaga Episode I) that I enjoy.

I'm not too concerned, especially since my taste in RPGs tend to differ from the mainstream. I thought the characters in Final Fantasy VII were flat and boring, making it hard to care about them and get drawn into the story.

It took four attempts to make it through the first disc of Final Fantasy VIII; the thought of trying to play through the rest of the game is about as appealing as a seven-course meal consisting entirely of liver (and I, like mot people, don't like liver).

I loved most of the features of Grandia, though the ending was weak and certain aspects of the story were lacking. I loved the "round table discussion" scenes (where characters would sit around a table at night and you could pick which one speaks next) and would like to see that feature in more RPGs.

I tend to favor quirky and innovative games over mainstream hits.

</offtopic>

I'm quite fond of the DragonBall Z Budokai games, although I don't recommend Tenkaichi 1 or 2. But then again, I love fighting games, and those are just fun and I am still not 100% done unlocking things in B2 or B3

Well, I haven't played any in the second list yet. I just want to sample as many Playstation 2 RPGs as I can and find others (aside from Final Fantasy XII and Xenosaga Episode I) that I enjoy.

I'm not too concerned, especially since my taste in RPGs tend to differ from the mainstream. I thought the characters in Final Fantasy VII were flat and boring, making it hard to care about them and get drawn into the story.

It took four attempts to make it through the first disc of Final Fantasy VIII; the thought of trying to play through the rest of the game is about as appealing as a seven-course meal consisting entirely of liver (and I, like mot people, don't like liver).

I loved most of the features of Grandia, though the ending was weak and certain aspects of the story were lacking. I loved the "round table discussion" scenes (where characters would sit around a table at night and you could pick which one speaks next) and would like to see that feature in more RPGs.

I tend to favor quirky and innovative games over mainstream hits.

</offtopic>
grandia was ok but if ur really going out there then any BOF game ftw, cept dragon quarter. wild arms is pretty pro too but orignal ps1 games are better than alter code f, i loved FF7, but ff8 took some time before i got into it more.

I haven't played too much GT4, but I was a bit disappointed to not see any damage modeling.

I forgot about Katamari Damacy...I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

If I only play one Final Fantasy game...which one should I play? I saw that X had a better score than XII. Or should I just skip them Tek?

I haven't played too much GT4, but I was a bit disappointed to not see any damage modeling.

I forgot about Katamari Damacy...I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

If I only play one Final Fantasy game...which one should I play? I saw that X had a better score than XII. Or should I just skip them Tek?

do ff7 or X or 12, i wasnt impressed by 12 but 10... 10 depends because some people like it, others dont, either u love it or not. ff7 is prolly teh best or 6 if u want to be technical. 80% of true ff fans believe 6 was the best. try need for speed underground 2 or carbon too if u want a better racing game then gt4

try need for speed underground 2 or carbon too if u want a better racing game then gt4

I dont know if you could call it better. GT4 is a racing simulator, where as NFS is more of an arcade type racer. You cant set the camber and drag and all that other fancy stuff on NFS, you just change the appearance of the car.

I dont know if you could call it better. GT4 is a racing simulator, where as NFS is more of an arcade type racer. You cant set the camber and drag and all that other fancy stuff on NFS, you just change the appearance of the car.

GT4 i thought was horrible, i much prefer NFS or GT3 . then again ive been playing NFS since...... NFS was invented....... good o'l days in atlantica ^_^

Judging strictly by the first hour of gameplay, I would have to recommend FFXII. Voice acting, controls, cutscenes, environment, story, and characters--all are more engaging in FFXII. And while the lead character of FFXII still isn't as likable as Zidane (personal opinion here), he's at least less obnoxious than Tidus, Squall, or Cloud.

Again, this is judging the games only on the first hour of gameplay. It could be that FFX introduces a character worth caring about two or three hours in, but I don't care enough about the first few characters introduced in FFX to find out.

EDIT: Fair warning, though: FFXII deviates from the classic Final Fantasy battle system. But after playing and enjoying games like Chrono Trigger and Grandia, random encounters are that much more annoying. It took me about five minutes to get used to the new battle system, so no worries about the learning curve.

Wouldn't a "simulator" put at least SOME emphasis on damage modeling? I hate driving games that just skip over that aspect...you end up losing so much realism...especially in a game that claims to be a simulator.

Judging strictly by the first hour of gameplay, I would have to recommend FFXII. Voice acting, controls, cutscenes, environment, story, and characters--all are more engaging in FFXII. And while the lead character of FFXII still isn't as likable as Zidane (personal opinion here), he's at least less obnoxious than Tidus, Squall, or Cloud.

Again, this is judging the games only on the first hour of gameplay. It could be that FFX introduces a character worth caring about two or three hours in, but I don't care enough about the first few characters introduced in FFX to find out.

EDIT: Fair warning, though: FFXII deviates from the classic Final Fantasy battle system. But after playing and enjoying games like Chrono Trigger and Grandia, random encounters are that much more annoying. It took me about five minutes to get used to the new battle system, so no worries about the learning curve.

Considering I don't have anything else to base it on, or against, I don't think it'll matter.

Unfortunately, I don't think Blockbuster has it, so I may have to drop $50 on it.

Burnout 3: Takedown and Burnout: Revenge have great damage models; bashing cars, scraping them, it looks so cool when your car is damaged with tons of sparks flying behind your bumper. :D

If your into suvivor games, Resident Evil 4 is great. Resident Evil: Outbreak File #2 is great for me since its on-line!

Last edited:
I'm weird but my best PS2 game at the moment RTKXI or Romance of the Three Kindoms 11 for all those who don't know the series... RTKIX and XII were some of the best but with 11 just coming out I got to love it... but like I said I'm weird and not many like really old Chinese turn based strategy games

Back