Best gaming mouse?

Tek7 (Legacy)

CGA & ToJ President
In all the mess with my PC crashing this weekend, I forgot to mention that my mouse was giving out sporadically. The light (it's an optical mouse) would go out, come back on, go out, come back on, and so on. I was also have problems with the mousewheel: When I would scroll up or down in my web browser, it would take me Back and Forward to pages I'd visited.

I realize that the mouse may be fine and the power supply issues may have freaked it out, but I still need to be on the lookout for a quality gaming mouse.

I have two major criteria for this awesome gaming mouse: (1) it must be inexpensive and (2) it must NOT be wireless. NO wireless mice.

So, what would you all recommend?

Flashon said:
Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 ...
Heh, that's the mouse I was using before. I rather liked it, but I lost the fourth and fifth buttons functionality when I slapped on the USB-to-PS/2 converter and plugged it into my KVM switch.

I'll likely lose similar functionality with the next mouse (due to the KVM), so I'm all about the shape and sturdiness of the mouse now. I agree, the Intellimouse is a strong contender.

Don't get Razer mice, especially if you play FPS games at all. They have terrible ergonomics (unless you're lefthanded, in which case they're the only gaming mouse on the market you can use since Logitech makes their mice right-handed). I would definitely suggest a Logitech MX518 with LogiGamer to reprogram all the buttons (something their mouse software, SetPoint, stupidly doesn't let you do).

I would have suggested a MX1000, but you said no wireless, which puzzles me. The 518 is the next best thing. If you want a review of Razer's latest-and-greatest by one of UT's most experienced players ever, read this.

3 DeF players use Intellimouse explorer, and tek7 it comes with auto-aimbot and micro-adjust if u buy it now :p

ps: for serious people, its a joke.. geez!

Thaddius said:
Never have any complaints of wrist problems with a trackball. -_-
Hm. I hadn't considered a trackball. *muses* Thad, what would you say are the pros and cons of trackballs?

kraniac said:
I would definitely suggest a Logitech MX518 ...
Oo, shiny! Aye, that mouse does look rather groovy. I'm unable to RMA my Intellimouse (since I bought the OEM version from Newegg), so if the mouse IS bad and it wasn't just a side effect of the motherboard giving out, then I'll give serious thought to ordering one of these bad boys online.

Tek7, i thought u were short of budget???? mx518's 50bux unless u cna find a better price some where :X

Tek7 said:
Hm. I hadn't considered a trackball. *muses* Thad, what would you say are the pros and cons of trackballs?

The only con I have with mine is.... you have to clean it periodically (like once every couple weeks!) :(

Tek7 said:

I don't know..I have never really been real fond of mice in general. I bought my first trackball 6 or so years ago when I got my first PC and got tired of having to pick up the mouse move it over just to scroll over more. I've been using Logitech trackballs so long that I won't buy a normal mouse. Pro's? I'd have to say that you only move your fingers with a trackball. no constant wrist movement. Trackballs do take some getting used to, but Intel uses them in the factory on most terminals so I've really never been not used to using them. Another con is when playing FPS games...well, it takes some strategy to learn to aim. (I never really learned mouse or trackball so it don't hurt me none :p ) You might try one out if you know someone who will loan you one and see if you like it before deciding to purchase. I've got the optical and hardly ever have to clean mine, maybe once every few months. (P.S. BABO! Wash your hands man!) It does build up some fuzz aroudn the optical sensors under the ball, but mines never been that bad.

Anyway, I know you have had CTS issues in the past, and a trackball might help aleviate some of that.

oh and I was gonna say that one of the cons was a lack of buttons (for you guys who like more than 2 or 3 on your mouse) but the new logitech wireless looks like it has more buttons on it.

Cory

Last edited:
Back