Best free iOS apps for a work phone

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
Okay, nobody freak out. I didn't buy an iPhone. You all know me better than that. I've said before that I wouldn't spend money on an Apple product, but would gladly accept an Apple product as a gift.

(I'll concede that Apple makes good products, but I'm not a fan of DRM, proprietary hardware, "cult of personality" marketing, or really, really expensive hardware. If iPhones, iPods, and Macbooks are your thing, enjoy them in good health. It's just not my thing.)

Well, it's not quite a gift, but my new employer did give me an iPhone 4 for work stuff. So I'm looking for free work-appropriate iOS apps. Angry Birds Space is right out (unfortunately) since (1) it's a game and (2) I don't have any payment info attached to my Apple account.

So let's get your recommendations for free iOS apps that would be appropriate for a work phone.

EDIT: I consider a Bible app work-appropriate, so post your suggestions for free Bible iOS apps, too.

Last edited:
pocketsword is waaaay better than youversion for bible

otherwise i would just leave stuff off of it. Kindle app is nice.

experience:
i own an iphone 3g. smart phones are a waste of time :(

pocketsword is waaaay better than youversion for bible
No HCSB version available in Pocket Sword. :(

otherwise i would just leave stuff off of it. Kindle app is nice.
Is there a selection of free books? I just can't (yet) bring myself to pay money for electronic copies of books. Read free books? Yes. Check out books electronically from the local library? Most definitely. Pay $10 for a new release? Nope.

experience:
i own an iphone 3g. smart phones are a waste of time :(
Most of the time, yes. But it really does come in handy at work.

Bible - I use the Crossway ESV Bible

Books - Get Stanza and the Kindle app for iPhone. Amazon has free books that you can read on the Kindle, and there are tons of free books on Project Gutenberg which can be used on Stanza.

Audiobooks - No special app to get. Just download the audio files from LibriVox and transfer them onto your iPhone. http://librivox.org/

I check out toucharcade.com and dealmac.com on a daily basis. Both sites will list when good games are free/discounted for a promotion.

Lots of great free Kindle books. Christian classics. Good stuff.

Back