Bee's disappearing...Part 2

Arkanjel

A while back I started a thread about the bee's that were disappearing.

http://www.cgalliance.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20392&highlight=bees+disappearing

Most everyone seemed to poopoo the idea and chalked it up to something being blown out of proportion or alarmist.

So now that this has hit the mainstream media, was I still blowing things out of proportion? Do you think there might be something to this problem?

Here are a few of the "mainstream" stories

Deserted beehives, starving young stun scientists

Mysterious honeybee killer could make dinner bland

Bee Colony Collapses Could Threaten U.S. Food Supply

Mystery Bee Disappearances Sweeping U.S.

The Case Of The Vanishing Bees

I could go on, but I think you get the point. Its certainly a situation we have never been put in before. Just how many people can you hire to pollinate fruit trees and just how much will that send the price of fruit through the roof! If you want to have honey next year, you better go buy it right now. Because I doubt you'll be able to afford it. As they say, its better to be safe, than sorry.

Of course here is the original story I linked to.

Bees Disappearing Act

I'm betting it's either yet another blown-all-out-of-proportion "crisis", or some government plot to make money off taxing the human-pollination industry...

I wouldn't sell the shares in the food market just yet. Remember avian flu? What an epidemic THAT turned out to be.

If you want to have honey next year, you better go buy it right now. Because I doubt you'll be able to afford it. As they say, its better to be safe, than sorry.

I don't like honey, smart guy :p

Well I do like it! It's also quite possible that honey sellers are pushing this "crisis" so they can make some huge profits. ;)

Honestly, if you're looking for a serious debate, chances are you're not going to find it here unless you're arguing with DV.

Given my limited knowledge of bees, I'm not the best person to talk to about this, but aren't bees responsible for a lot of the pollination of flowers? I would think that this would cause a major problem for not just sweeteners, but also the citrus industry (citrus family are all flowering trees), and you might see roses go to $100/dozen next Valentine's Day. Just my 2 cents.

LOL, thanks WBK 2 good points you make there.

Yeah i would say bees are responsible for a HUGE amount of things we consume on a regular basis. I think it could be the start of a domino effect. If no bees pollinate the fruit trees, then there will be no fruit. If there is no fruit, then the birds or bats that eat those things will die off as well, then it moves up the food chain.

Like you said about the roses, lots of flowers rely on bees.

When God made bees, he made the perfect little workhorse to get things done. And amazingly enough, I think we are going to find out just how big a lynch pin the really are.

***Just found some numbers***

Honeybees don't just make honey; they pollinate more than 90 of the tastiest flowering crops we have.

Among them: apples, nuts, avocados, soybeans, asparagus, broccoli, celery, squash and cucumbers. And lots of the really sweet and tart stuff, too, including citrus fruit, peaches, kiwi, cherries, blueberries, cranberries, strawberries, cantaloupe and other melons.

In fact, about one-third of the human diet comes from insect-pollinated plants, and the honeybee is responsible for 80 percent of that pollination, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Even cattle, which feed on alfalfa, depend on bees. So if the collapse worsens, we could end up being "stuck with grains and water," said Kevin Hackett, the national program leader for USDA's bee and pollination program.

Copied from this story. LINK

Last edited:
But wait - apparently this means if bees stop pollinating - most of the food supply will vanish?

Sorry, but I just don't think God plans to let most of the world die off like that.

Sorry, but I just don't think God plans to let most of the world die off like that.

Rev 6:8 And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

Right now if we took a fourth part of the earth's population it would be equivalent to roughly 1.5 billion people. Take a fourth part of that so that sword, hunger, death, and beasts get an equal share and you have 375 million people by hunger alone. That is greater than the total population of the United States.

I'm glad you are starting to grasp the enormity of this situation. Because it is enormous, its not some little thing. Maybe it will just blow over, but if it doesn't, and it does get bad, at least you can prepare now.

Some people would say that we shouldn't worry because God will provide for us. Well yes that is true, but we also were warned and have been given time to take actions before it becomes to late.

It kind of reminds me of the "man in the flood" scenario:

Basically a man is caught in a flood and decides that God will save him.
As the water gets higher a guy in a boat comes along and tells the man to get in the boat.
"No I'm waiting on God to reach down and save me!"
Water gets higher and another guy in a boat comes along...
Water is all the way to the top of his house and nowhere to go and a helicopter comes along to save the man..
Man dies and gets to heaven and asks God why he didn't reach down and save him and God says," I sent three different people, but you refused each time!"

We have been informed of the things to be on watch for that will herald the end of the age, we were also told to be watchful so as not to be surprised by it. When you see stuff like this start to happen, you might want to keep a close eye on it.

I have personal observed less bees in the last year, than there were the year before. I hate bees, but I love honey, fruit, & flowers. Are there any articles on what they believe is happening to them? I mean is it something manmade that we can prevent?

I have seen and read a few different things about the problem CCD, Colony Collapse Disorder. It ranges from a fungus type infection to tiny mite like tick things and then the man-made possibility is cell phones and cell towers.

One thing I have read about the cell phones is that if an active cell phone is placed near a hive the bees will not go near it. Bees are basically tiny compasses with wings. They fly out following magnetic fields and return the same way. Of course if those fields are being screwed up by all the cell phone towers, the bees will get lost and die.

It is a huge mystery and that is really the problem. If we knew just what was to blame, it might be a quick fix, but nobody seems to have a definite clue.

Just try Googling Bees disappearing and see what all there is to be said about it. Its a lot.

wow, cell phones would be hard to get around. They have basically become part of our live styles.

One thing I have read about the cell phones is that if an active cell phone is placed near a hive the bees will not go near it. Bees are basically tiny compasses with wings. They fly out following magnetic fields and return the same way. Of course if those fields are being screwed up by all the cell phone towers, the bees will get lost and die.

Do cell phones work with magnetic fields? I'm pretty sure it's radio waves or something...

And honestly, I've never heard of bees operating this way. In fact, I'm almost positive they work by tracing pheremones and scents.

I agree that this is a serious scenario and should not be taken lightly, make you appreciate God's creation and respect His will and timing I am definitely reminded of end times when reading about these stories

Yeah, end times... That's why I'm skeptical.

Just don't be surprised if it all comes to nothing.

I agree that this is a serious scenario and should not be taken lightly, make you appreciate God's creation and respect His will and timing I am definitely reminded of end times when reading about these stories

I just don't get how bees can detect magnetic fields, I thought they operated on pheremones, similar to ants

I just don't get how bees can detect magnetic fields, I thought they operated on pheremones, similar to ants

Pheromones can be easily left in a trail for ants to follow, but bees fly. There is no way to leave a pheromone trail in the air without air currents carrying it off. Ill see what I can dig up.

Back