Battlestar Galactica *MAJOR SPOILERS*

tjguitarz

Moderator's note: Here be spoilers. If you have not watched the entire Battlestar Galactica series and do not want to be spoiled on major plot points, do not read this thread. The first three posts in this thread include spoiler tags. All posts after the third will not. Consider yourself warned.

What did you think about the series finale?

The first half was pretty awesome. That was one of the best battles I've seen. The flashback to the Opera house was neat. The second half... I'm still mulling it over. It was such a massive infodump that I'm having hard processing it all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just finished watching the finale less than an hour ago.
I had predicted the writers would either imply that the cycle would repeat again, or write an open-ended conclusion that lets the viewer decide whether he/she thinks the cycle would repeat again. I didn't expect the writers to flat out say the cycle was broken, and I'm glad they didn't.

Here's my personal interpretation of the ending: It is up to humanity whether or not we repeat the cycle of violence. It's a warning of sorts: Don't let convenience and technology rob humanity of its soul (which is why the resolution for Galactica and company was to start over without advanced technology).

The overall premise of the show was neat (and Tek, I think you hit the nail on the head with your personal interpretation). But it seems stupid and out of character for mankind to shoot all their technology into the sun. Their idea was to prevent the cycle of violence from repeating. What do they do instead? Cower from the implications of that technology without seeing the powerful benefits?

It makes me think about technology today. Guns can be used for good and bad. Same with the internet, drugs, cars, politics, etc. Does that mean you lock up all the guns, shut down the internet, and kill all the politicians in order to stop the bad from happening?

You know, the title of this thread should include a spoiler caution so that we don't have to talk in tags. Can you make it happen, bossman?

Moderator's note: Okay, done. I've added a warning to the first post in the thread and a *MAJOR SPOILERS* suffix to the thread title. Now we can dispense with the spoiler tags.

If anyone has an issue with not putting spoilers in spoiler tags, even with the warning in the first post and title of the thread altered, please send me a PM. This thread is an experiment in discarding the spoiler tags in select and clearly marked threads.

Now, back to the discussion:

I think the show's writers did not believe humanity could truly "reset" (that is, return to a values system that cherishes life and nature) without destroying advanced technology. Christians, on the other hand, believe that one can return to a "proper" values system regardless of circumstances, if only that person will accept Christ as Lord and savior.

I believe, based on evidence throughout the series, that the writers believe there is a god and/or gods, but he/she/it/they can not be known. I forget the exact term for this belief system, but I would venture to say it is popular in America. When a person says he or she is "spiritual but not religious," they are usually indicating they subscribe to this philosophy.

Without belief in a god that is both good and directly involved in human lives, one can not have reasonable faith that humanity will break the cycle of violence. Even in Christianity, it is not man that breaks the cycle of violence, but God--but the cycle is broken.

I find it interesting that the writers borrow from Greek and Hindu mythologies and Judeo-Christian faith:
  • Greek: Place and character names like Apollo, Athena, Eye of Jupiter, etc.
  • Hindu: Repeating cycles of destruction and rebirth ("All this has happened before, and all this has happened again") is a prominent theme in Hindu mythology
  • Judeo-Christian faith: The belief in a "one, true" God, believe in a sovereign divine force independent of and/or influencing human will, the presence and importance of angels, etc.
I think the writers are searching for something greater to believe in, but they have not yet achieved their goal. I believe the same may be true of the writers of Chrono Trigger; my theory is based on the fireside scene that follows the Fiona's Forest sidequest.

I believe the writers may have studied Christianity as a religion, but not as truth, which is why the ending of Battlestar Galactica, as well as Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII and other JRPGs, ultimately falls short while stories like The Chronicles of Narinia, C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy, and the Lord of the Rings do not: Stories that do not accept the basic tenets of Christianity as truth reach for truth, but do not grasp it.

When Paul visited Athens, he discovered a statue to "the unknown god," and told the Athenians that he knew the unknown God.

Battlestar Galactica is a great story, but, in the end, can be no more than a modern equivalent of the Athenian idol to "the unknown god."

Moderator's note: Here be spoilers. If you have not watched the entire Battlestar Galactica series and do not want to be spoiled on major plot points, do not read this thread. The first three posts in this thread include spoiler tags. All posts after the third will not. Consider yourself warned.

Wouldn't make much difference here.

With my limited channels, BSG shows twice a week!

But the last part I saw was:

When the Humans and Cylons allied. Visited a planet, together, on Earth or something...

Corpfox, you're in for quite a treat! You get to watch the whole second half of the 4th season without annoying week-long interruptions of ordinary life!

If you're looking for a place to watch them, and if your conscience is clear, and you aren't breaking any laws where you live, you can download them via bittorrent. That's how I keep up on the few shows that I watch. Otherwise, I think you can also stream them from the scifi channel's website, though I loathe that antiquated, slow-as-molasses, bug-ridden system.

I think the show's writers did not believe humanity could truly "reset" (that is, return to a values system that cherishes life and nature) without destroying advanced technology. Christians, on the other hand, believe that one can return to a "proper" values system regardless of circumstances, if only that person will accept Christ as Lord and savior.

I believe, based on evidence throughout the series, that the writers believe there is a god and/or gods, but he/she/it/they can not be known.

Battlestar Galactica is a great story, but, in the end, can be no more than a modern equivalent of the Athenian idol to "the unknown god."

I concur.

What was up with the whole Kara disappearing act? Was she an "angel" like the invisible Baltar and Six?

What was up with the whole Kara disappearing act? Was she an "angel" like the invisible Baltar and Six?
Possibly, but doubtful.

Angel-Caprica 6 and Angel-Baltar were only revealed to one character each.

Kara, on the other hand, interacted with several characters (Lee, Admiral Adama, President Roslin (sp?), Anders, Tigh (sp?), and others).

Kara's sudden disappearance was probably the thing I liked least about the ending.

Just because she's an "angel"...doesn't mean that other, select, people couldn't see her. That's really the only explanation for it IMO. Then again, didn't pretty much the whole fleet interact with her? Or who was paying attention since she went on her little scouting expedition to see if it was limited to a handful of people?

All and all, I thought it was quite good...looking forward to the Cylon side to be released in fall (i think). Maybe I'll hate "Al" a little less! Have to give him credit...his portrayal really made my stomach turn at times, particularly with his facial communication.

Back