August 11th, 2005

.se3ker.

O LORD, how manifold are your works! In wisdom you have made them all.

-Psalm 104:24 (NRSV)

I was driving to work early in the morning. The sun hadn't yet begun to rise; the world was the dark gray of early dawn, lighted by scattered headlights and taillights. I was irritated at having to get up so early and at the bumper-to-bumper traffic that was already slowing the freeway to a crawl. All I could think about was how annoyed I was at having to put up with it all.

When the traffic came to a complete stop, I looked out my window toward the east. Hanging above the horizon was the most amazing moon. It was a barely visible crescent, lit directly from below by the sun that had not yet risen. Suddenly, I was overwhelmed by the beauty of God's creation and realized how rarely I truly see it. I stared at that moon for just a few seconds before traffic started moving again, but I'll never forget the experience.

Sometimes it seems as if God is difficult to find and impossibly far away. We become so involved in our small, daily duties that they become the only things that we can focus on. We forget that God's love and beauty are all around us, every day. Take the time to look and see.

Matthew Sturges (Texas, U.S.A.)
Prayer:
Creator God, help us never to forget to praise you and to see the splendor that is everywhere in your world. Amen.

Back