Armor Pen?

FiremanThul

I took some time off for RL issues, and am trying to get back into the swing of things. In the past week I've grinded from 46 to 61, and hope to be 63 by the end of the day. I'm starting research during downtime like patch days to see how I need to prepare myself for raiding when I get to 80.

I see mention in posts outside of here regarding "armor pen" with no explanation of what that means. As wow moves at the speed of light, and I've apparently been gone for like, 26 years, everyone already knows what it means but I...

I'm also curious, when I started the rogue after first coming to this guild, there were literally 0 active rogues, now there's apparently 4-5 raiding. I'm not sure I'll ever have the time to be a hardcore raider, as my schedule is so strange, but am I wasting my time leveling a rogue?

Armor Penetration. but i have never really playerd a melee class so i could not tell you how much to stack or if you should stack it at all.

Once your hit capped and you've got some decent gear you can focus on some armor penetration. I have 20% armor pen, so basically I ignore 20% of their armor.

I'd go haste over armor pen, but after you're hit capped, I'd stack agility, then worry about haste and armor pen. Since Auto shot is typically the biggest chunk of dmg for Hunters (depending on how often lock and load goes off in survival) being haste capped is nice because you'll get more auto shots and steady shots off. Of what I remember, you'll need a good chunk of armor pen to make a difference and it can make a big difference. I, however, would take haste over armor pen. That's just my preference and my main spec is MM.

To quote wowwiki....
"Armor penetration is a value appearing on many items, talents, and abilities that indicates the percentage of armor that will be ignored by an attack. ArP can be found as both Abilities, Talents like Mace Specialization or as passive upgrades found on equipment pieces. ArP is unique in that the more ArP you have, the greater the increase in damage becomes."

Something you'll want to look at is the "weight" of a stat. This is done most the time to see the value of each stat according to your spec.

PVE Mutilate MAEP
1 Agility = 1 MAEP
1 Strength = .55 MAEP
1 Stamina = .01 MAEP
1 Hit Rating = .83 MAEP
1 Crit Rating = .81 MAEP
1 Attack Power = .50 MAEP
1 Expertise Rating = .87 MAEP
1 Haste Rating = .64 MAEP
1 Armor Penetration Rating = .65 MAEP
1 Resilience = .001 MAEP

PVE Combat MAEP
1 Agility = 1 MAEP
1 Strength = .55 MAEP
1 Stamina = .01 MAEP
1 Hit Rating = .88 MAEP
1 Crit Rating = .84 MAEP
1 Attack Power = .50 MAEP
1 Expertise Rating = .82 MAEP
1 Haste Rating = .73 MAEP
1 Armor Penetration Rating = 1.00 MAEP
1 Resilience = .001 MAEP

I have listed above the 2 most popular specs (as far as I can tell). I know those numbers look confusing... but lemme see if I can explain how this works. It is all based off of Agility... so if you look at the weight on the PVE Mutilate spec (1st list) 1 point of agility is equal to .65 points of Armor Penetration. So by doing the math on a piece of armor you can tell how many "equivalency points" you will be able to get from each stat. Let's look at a piece of gear as an example.

conceal.jpg

To do the math on this you would break it down as such (using the PVE Combat spec)
54 agility x 1 = 54 EP (Equivalency points)
77 stamine x .01 = .77 EP
53 Expertise x .82 = 43.46 EP
132 attack power x .5 = 66 EP
45 Armor Penetration x 1 = 45 EP
Total EP = 209 total EP

You can do that kind of math on any piece of gear really... but the stat weights, depending on your spec show how valuable that stat is.

For instance (using the combat spec) you can see that your stat important order is
Agility/Armor Penetration
Hit
Crit
Expertise
Haste
Strength
Attack Power
(note.... I would say that hit is the most important stat till you are at the hit cap, but I don't raid with a rogue so one of our high end rogues would be a better person to tell you if hit is more important)

Depending on what spec you have at 80 you can choose how to itemize your gear. But to make a long story short.. armor penetration is an excellent stat all around.. but depending on your spec will show you how important it really is.

Also, an excellent resource so you don't have to do all the math on every piece of gear like I did above is http://shadowpanther.net/
It is a great resource and I used it a great deal when leveling my rogue.

Well Lock and Load has a CD now (/cry). I've been stacking haste and armor penetration though. When I was doing a 3 drake zerg on Sartharion I had 40% armor penetration with buffs. And even if I had a lot of haste, with my internet it wouldn't make that much of a difference.

If your latency is bad the amount of haste that would normally be good only makes up for the lag you get.

you can get quartz, it tells you your casting bar based on the latency, so you know when you should be pressing the buttons for the next action in your rotation.

or... play a rotationless spec like destro warlock ~_~

If your latency is bad the amount of haste that would normally be good only makes up for the lag you get.

Haha true... When I have heroism I do the amount of damage I should be doing normally. Thankfully I'll be moving out soon and getting a way faster connection. Satellite internet sucks :(

ugh...I have so much haste that when heroism is popped, I get 0.8 second flash heal casts but a 1 second Global cooldown, yeah for soft haste caps!!!!

Back