Are there cosmetic slots?

Jabberwocky

Hi,

My wife and I have been playing MMOs since Ultima Online, and we are very interested in GW2. Before i drop big chunk of change on two copies, I have a question. Are their cosmetic slots? The reason I ask is that some of the screenshots I have seen show some pretty revealing clothing for the female characters. If my wife would not prefer that for her character, is it fairly easy to cover your equipped armor with cosmetic clothes/armor that is a bit more modest?

Thanks.

Well there are town clothes but I don't think those can be used for combat. However, don't worry about the skimpy armor. All professions come with a wide variety of armors. There are some skimpy ones and non-skimpy ones. Your wife will definitely be able to find some armor she likes.

I do know once you are in a town you can switch to "Town Clothes" however,
i'm not sure how well you are covered depending on what race you choose.

I usually choose the female Characters because they seem smaller
and seem easier to manuever in tight spaces.

the "Charr,Asuran and Sylvari" races i have seen no issue with improper/lack of clothing.
and the "Norn and Huamn" races i only notice the lack of clothing if i am zoomed way in
and i rarely have had to do that.

i am fairly new to the game so i'm not sure if different armors cover more or not.
but i must say "Legacy Of Elijah" is the best group of online Christian gamers i have ever played with.
Most of them came from "Spirit of Elijah" in Guild Wars 1

they are always helpful and they/we take prayer requests and ask them at times as well.
we also have a few Techs on here that have carried me through some confusing computer issues.

I think in this game it is in how you play it.
for example;
any woman/man can wear a skimpy/revealing clothing but it is ultimately their choice in how they act while wearing it.
although the less covered clothing isn't my choice, there are other options and
you can see how your character will look before you create it.

forgive my babbling and hope this in some way helps
GOD bless,
Waynos

Well there are town clothes but I don't think those can be used for combat. However, don't worry about the skimpy armor. All professions come with a wide variety of armors. There are some skimpy ones and non-skimpy ones. Your wife will definitely be able to find some armor she likes.

Looks like Raven beat me to it by 16 minutes lol

also, even if you found some piece of armor with amazing stats, but didnt want to wear it because of the way it looks, you do have the option to use a certain item to take the appearance of one item and move those stats on to it

To chime in with the others, I maintain that even though there are some sketchy armor bits, GW does a great job of at least giving you solid options.

Unfortunately, it's a little bit hard to find good pics of every piece of armor out there... but there are some good galleries linked in the sticky threads in this forum. Just to give you examples though:

Here's the wiki page on armor, with a smattering of random examples: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Armor

Here's human female cultural armor: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Cultural_human_female.jpg
Admittedly, these are pretty high end and not normal stuff... you'll note that while two are sketchy, the other seven are head-to-toe coverage.

Here's a collection of low-level human female light armor: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/c/cc/Female_human_light_armor.jpg
Again, some of it's not quite appropriate for church... but some of it is. And the Devout set is a full on robe and pants.

And also, I've been reading a lot of people saying that the transmutation stones are great and easy to use so that when you get an armor design that you like it really is feasible to keep that look throughout the game.

[Note: There is a dynamic where armor gets damaged and needs repairing... and if you don't repair it, it goes invisible and eventually leaves you standing in your bloomers. This has only happened to me once because it takes a LOT of repetitive death and resurrection... which usually means you're going after something beyond your level. It's the games way of telling you to stop and come back later.]

Hope this helps you guys get a feel for what's in the game. Hope to see you there!

LOL in yer bloomers. I find my female Ranger has been well covered since day one and I am currently 41. It is something I have enjoyed about the game. The only one my wife noticed was beginner ele Sylvari, but still acceptable. It is easy to stay modest with a character in this game.

As others have said...transmutation stones are your friend here. No need to run around looking like a hoochie mama. Also to add: the base armors are pretty modest, from what I've seen...talking specifically on the stuff you craft yourself or pick up cheap on the trading post. While I'm sure you might find something that is awesome, but revealing, along your journey, you almost have to go out of your way a little bit to get a lot of them.

Look forward to hopefully seeing you in here! We have several husband/wife combos in the guild. :)

Also, for what it's worth, Scholar professions are the worst for skimpy armor on women. The great majority of Adventurer and Soldier armor covers well.

But transmutation stones are plentiful while leveling and there are options.

Very good point, Enok, and just to clarify - Scholar is light (Elementalist/Mesmer/Necromancer), adventurer is medium (Thief, Engineer, Ranger), and Soldier is heavy (Guardian, Warrior).

Back