Are there any "good" Christian Colleges

Glitch

In my search of colleges, I have been wondering...
Are there any "good" (or just reputable) Christian Colleges?
I know there are a lot of Christian colleges out there with outstanding pastoral ministry majors (or things like that). But, what I am looking for is non ministry majors (as in science, History, accounting, engineering, medical, etc.)

My real questions is this:
Are there any Christian colleges out there with reputable Science programs? (specifically Chemistry or Bio-chemistry)
Or
Are there any Christian colleges out there with reputable law programs?

Just wondering...

There are definately great ones for theology etc. but for science programs etc. that are world standard I am not sure. You can always check the uni world rankings to see (e.g. the times or the Japanese one - the to most respected ranking will get links if i remember).

Forgive me if this sounds arrogant or ignorant but why does it have to be a Christian school?

I don't know of any Christian Science-focused schools. =\

Last edited:
... I would say College of the Ozarks. They have a very decent Sciences program, as most of the professors could easily be teaching at higher university level but work here because of their love and passion for the College's mission.

U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges Guide 2009
• Ranked C of O #10 Baccalaureate College in the Midwest
• Ranked C of O #1 Great School for Great Price
• Ranked C of O #1 Least Debt
• Listed C of O as an A+ School for B Students

And yes, it would be considered very much a Christian college. Students are required to attend the on campus chapel seven times a semester, attend at least two christian convocations, and take Biblical Survey and Biblical Theology and Ethics as part of their GE program.

But I'm rather biased since I'm currently attending... :cool:

Here are the links for the most respected rankings of world universities as promised:
http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/hybrid.asp?typeCode=144

I am kinda with Odale on this though. I would go for the most highly ranked university you can get into. Especially if there is a gap between christian and other universities. There is often great chrisitan groups on most campus so you should be able to still be feed spiritually while getting the most recognised degrees. This is especially true in the US which, while having the best universities in the world, also has some of the worst and thus where you got your degree is often as important or more important than what your degree is.

Last edited:
What I was trying to say, Ppar said.

If you want to get into a "good" school, then apply to all of the good schools, after that you can find a Christian niche within that school to affiliate yourself with. I am sure there will be one, such as CRU and others.

Last edited:
My advice to you glitch is the same said by Odale. Get into the best college you get into. Christian schools have the same faults as non-Christian schools--perverts, drunkards, etc. All colleges have a Christian group you can get involved with.

I did not attend Bryan but I studied in Italy under a few of their professors. They were all top notch in their areas and blew my mind with their expertise. I would highly recommend their university both Theologically and Secular-ly.

http://www.bryan.edu/

I did attend Moody Bible Institute in Chicago and would recommend them for a degree in some bible associated profession but not a science one.

Just to also throw out there, one of the best academic/life learnings I had was to attend http://www.saintsbibleinstitute.org/ in Italy. I might consider taking one semester there just for the life experience. How many people can say they studied the book of Romans IN Rome, and studied Renaissance and Reformation in the Uffizi museum in Florence??

I should put in a good word for my school, Baylor University. It's a top tier school, and it serves many fields beyond ministry.

I can't speak exactly on the quality of our chemistry department, but given the almost absurd percentage of people who come here for pre-med, I'd tend to assume that it's pretty good.

We also have a law school which has been doing relatively well in rankings.

Forgive me if this sounds arrogant or ignorant but why does it have to be a Christian school?

I don't know of any Christian Science-focused schools. =\

Without going into a long explanation... I will explain it as thus...

I have always had a bias against going to a Christian school (or University for that matter) for any major other than ministry. I've been thinking and praying alot. And, to say it simply, God has began to change my perspective.
Now my dream school is still a secular University (not saying which cause idk who can read all these posts). Whether I ever go or not, I will offer that one up to God.
The only reason I'm asking is because I have begun to do some research on the issue and I wanted to ask you guys.
I am definitely just doing RESEARCH. When it comes to college decisions, my top priority is to God, and then to my own preference.

I would suggest, if you are interested, in taking about two years and give yourself to a mission agency as an intern or a peace corp type of trip. It will give you great experience in the world. Expand your ideas about God. IT will allow God to form you a bit more before being dropped into the cauldron of school.

If not a missional thing, look at some sort of over seas service to those less fortunate. You will grow far more in those two years than in anything else you do during this time.

Do you have any geographical leanings?

Any denominations the school might be affiliated that you would either be attracted to or want to avoid? (It's okay if you don't want to answer this one...but speaking for myself, there's no way you'd offend me....)

Most of what I know about is in the Midwest / Missouri. However I will chime in that Baylor is an excellent suggestion. I looked at that school before I decided to stay closer to home. Which turned out fine because I LOVED my undergrad, and it was great for my pre-health / science background.

Look closely, because LOTS of schools are loosely tied with some church or denomination, at least at some point in their history. But that doesn't mean they're really a "Christian school."

I agree...every school will have a Christian club or even fraternity. So do keep that in mind. But nothing wrong with wanting a more Christian environment. It's more personal preference than right or wrong. The college environment itself, especially a secular one (add to that the professors in a lot of places) can make being a Christian very tough.

And it's also true that "stuff" goes on even at the "Christianiest" (haha, new word) schools.

As far as going to the "best school you can." For that...I think it's about finding a balance. Depending on your goals, going to a "big name" school may or may not mean anything. But, IMHO, it doesn't usually mean as much as some people might think. Think first about the quality of your education...and the PRICE. Tuition, room & board if applicable, cost of living, etc. If you are planning to continue your education after undergrad, take it from someone who knows...you're going to be in enough debt when it's all said and done, so consider the cost-benefit ratio carefully. I could go on, but I don't really know what your goals are, so I'll stop myself from rambling. :)

Well, I went to Liberty University and also what is now called "The College at Southeastern". I know nothing about LU's science programs, as I transferred in after all my core classes and I was a ministry major, but I will echo that you can find 'good' and 'bad' at any school. I transferred from the University of Georgia, so I had both perspectives. There are a lot of people at Christian school who are there because their parents made them go; they aren't out to be model Christians. I would say it might even be easier to stay on fire at a secular school, since you don't have as many Christians who are just stalled out on their faith, or as one girl put it "my dad does all that church stuff for me" which happens at Christian schools. On the other hand, I made wonderful friends at LU, who are still close friends, and I wouldn't change that for the world.

The College at Southeastern is Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary's college. I actually was in a graduate program, which was essentially all seminary classes. The College is excellent if you want to be a religion or ancient languages professor, or a pastor/missionary, but it is so hard that there is little community in the school (mostly because nobody has time). When I left, there were people calling for more organization in that respect, but I dunno if that's changed.

This website might be helpful:
http://www.studentsreview.com/

There are a lot of people at Christian school who are there because their parents made them go; they aren't out to be model Christians. I would say it might even be easier to stay on fire at a secular school, since you don't have as many Christians who are just stalled out on their faith, or as one girl put it "my dad does all that church stuff for me" which happens at Christian schools. http://www.studentsreview.com/

this is the perspective I've held for the majority of my life. I went to a Christian school earlier in my life and that same thing happened with me.
I have never wanted to go to a Christian school for this reason.
Just recently, though, God has been speaking to me... and... it is just interesting to look.
It is one of those things that I can't go into detail because God is still in the process of talking with me.

Whatever you decide, be sure to look at the specific program you want to enter when reviewing colleges. The college I attended to earn my Bachelors degree had terrific nursing and business departments, but a terrible communications department that was in complete disarray during my time there. I wholly regret choosing the college I did for my third and fourth years of undergrad and wish I had spent more time investigating the communications program instead of choosing a college because it "interviewed well."

Liberty University is where my daughters attended and I really liked the area. The school requires religious classes and they do have pastoral classes. It's an expensive college but if you look for scholarships at their site that might help with finances. If your a pastors son I think you get some finiancial help too.
Also Bob Jones University is another college but I personally haven't any dealing with them.
Will be praying for you. CS

pss.To Ishylynn-- Go LU :)

I thought I should elaborate on my earlier comments about going for the best college you can. The truth is the difference between choosing between something like a no.1 ranked college and a no.200 ranked college is unlikely to mean much in the real world. If no.200 has a better program for what you want to do, is closer, or cheaper then you might want to go to that one. Hving said that you need to be really wary some some christian college as their degrees may not be well recognised. I know of ppl that have come to Australia with a Doctorate from ABC christian college only to find to was worth less than a bacholers degree. While others with a bacholers or masters degree in a low but recognised college got direct transfer of their qualifications no worries. Likewise i have heard of ppl who have got xyz degrees from some christian colleges only to find out that the degree they spent three years on was not recognised by the prefessional body of their industry and thus worthless.

I am just saying you are less likely to have trouble in your out of uni/college life if you first make sure the college and your degree are recognised by appropriate bodies.

I would have to agree about going to a school that is good for a specific program. Research it out and find what's best in your subject. There are campus ministries at pretty much every college, and you will find Christian friends. I would also recommend a useful minor or double major in something closely applicable. Don't waste electives, because that addon can end up being very useful. Even if you go for something different, make it something that can be useful in some way (for example, I know someone who majored in English and minored in Computer Science, and is a tech writer).

Back