• I hate updates

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • What is an update?

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • uhh, I just know how to turn it on.

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters

vibrokatana

Well I sorta was naughty and havent updated my computer in...

Code:
# uptime
 23:31:23 up 12 days, 11:51,  1 user,  load average: 1.33, 1.20, 0.76

ehhh, 12 days and some change.

So I go to update and...

Code:
Transaction Summary
=============================================================================
Install      4 Package(s)         
Update      73 Package(s)         
Remove       2 Package(s)         

Total download size: 210 M
Is this ok [y/N]:
Hmm, not bad only under 80 packages to update.

My interest is in how often people try to keep their software up to date? For me it is just a simple command. But I wonder how many people click the "remind me later" or ignore when they have to manually download the program and literally reinstall it.

So the question is: Are you up to date?

niiice, i did that for like 2months >.>

When I was using XP, I would hold off on updates as long as I could. It forced me to restart my computer, which always costed me time. I never liked that. In addition, I saw way to many updates flat out kill part of my system or hurt it in some way. I never liked that either.

Now that I'm on my purty mac, the updates are few and far between, and I only encountered 1 that forced me to restart my computer. All the rest were minor irritations.

Windows = fear
Mac = irritation

Well I sorta was naughty and havent updated my computer in...

Code:
# uptime
 23:31:23 up 12 days, 11:51,  1 user,  load average: 1.33, 1.20, 0.76
ehhh, 12 days and some change.

So I go to update and...

Code:
Transaction Summary
=============================================================================
Install      4 Package(s)         
Update      73 Package(s)         
Remove       2 Package(s)         

Total download size: 210 M
Is this ok [y/N]:
Hmm, not bad only under 80 packages to update.

My interest is in how often people try to keep their software up to date? For me it is just a simple command. But I wonder how many people click the "remind me later" or ignore when they have to manually download the program and literally reinstall it.

So the question is: Are you up to date?
Any windows boxen under my control are forced to auto update. Any linux boxen i also have set to auto update.

Any windows boxen under my control are forced to auto update. Any linux boxen i also have set to auto update.

Yes, but windows by nature will have literally 100s of programs and libraries installed, not controlled by auto update. And of course there is the annoying update, which on windows boxes usually means a reboot. Nothing like having to shut down a server and it says... "Installing update 12 of 83", ughhhh!

I typically shut down my system at night, so I run updates late in the evening. Things like my antivirus and firewall I update immediately when it tells me there's an update. Windows...eh... sometimes the updates break more than they fix, so I wait a few days.

Personally, unless i'm havening an issue with windows.....i don't update it. I held off on SP2 as long as possible. something I wanted to install required it..

Well... Since I've been running beta Ubuntu (first edgy, then feisty, then gutsy), I tend update. A lot. Often times once a day.
Updating packages relating to my opencompositing software (Compiz, then Beryl, then whatever its called now -I think Compiz-Fusion) tend to scare me a bit. There have been times I've had to roll back to an earlier update in Command line because one of those updates broke stuff. But that's to be expected with using an SVN repository...

So usually upon logging in, I pull up the trusty terminal and check for updates. I love package management systems -update everything all at once.

Well... Since I've been running beta Ubuntu (first edgy, then feisty, then gutsy), I tend update. A lot. Often times once a day.
Updating packages relating to my opencompositing software (Compiz, then Beryl, then whatever its called now -I think Compiz-Fusion) tend to scare me a bit. There have been times I've had to roll back to an earlier update in Command line because one of those updates broke stuff. But that's to be expected with using an SVN repository...

So usually upon logging in, I pull up the trusty terminal and check for updates. I love package management systems -update everything all at once.

yeah no kidding on the compiz stuff.

i beat u, centos 4.5 . i got rid of ubuntu as a server for the same reason HCS did :D. but i should update my laptop install now...

Ha! I bet you haven't tried to update the pure Ozarkian Laptop. (that's me before college... the laptop was a graduation present from my pastor)

I had to upgrade that puppy by giving it more RAM (thowing in a couple St. Louis Rams trading cards)
And updated the software by adding a mitten.
Luckily for me solitaire 'just works', and notepad has come in handy a few times... :D

I just updated to Windows XP SP2 on one of my computers. It was last month because I was having problems running something and thought SP2 may fix the problem. It didn't.

It was something like three years since the last update. I held off, because for a long time, the HD was full. I have since migrated off a lot of files to make way for the updates.

SO my question is: why would people be "scared" of updating they're software in general?
A whole host of reasons.

1) Feature creep. The newest and best versions of software so often have additional features, a number of which, I just don't want/need and many of which make the software worse and/or harder to use
2) Baselines!
3) Baselines!
4) Defined environments for organizations (look up NMCI)
5) One likes the older version better (compare XP to VISTA)
6) Did I mention baselines?

A whole host of reasons.

1) Feature creep. The newest and best versions of software so often have additional features, a number of which, I just don't want/need and many of which make the software worse and/or harder to use
2) Baselines!
3) Baselines!
4) Defined environments for organizations (look up NMCI)
5) One likes the older version better (compare XP to VISTA)
6) Did I mention baselines?

I see...but what is a baseline?!?

i just did 49 windows xp updates.... so yes i would say i have a phobia

I see...but what is a baseline?!?
Sorry, just realized that I hadn't responded to your question.

Baseline, in this scenario, is a software engineering term, with something like this for a definition:

[SIZE=-1]A specification or product that has been formally reviewed and agreed upon, that serves as the basis for further development, and that can be changed only through formal change control procedures.[/SIZE]

Ya, it is fun when microsoft thinks changing dcom privileges in a software update will make you happy.

You come in one day and several services are down and are failing silently at startup...ughhhh!

Back