ArcheAge

Anyone playing this or opting in for beta?

It's a Korean MMO that was launched a little more than a year ago. Trion Worlds (makers of Rift) is bringing the game to North America and Europe. They're currently "westernizing" the game and doing a lot of translating.

At the moment you can opt into Alpha for $150 and be a founder. Or you can opt in for beta for less and guarantee your spot with a lower founder pack. Or you can just opt in for beta and hope you get in. You can also download the Russian version of the game and add an English translation to it if you want to play for free. I think you need to run the game through a proxy though.

I'd definitely recommend checking the game out though! Link to the website.

A couple of buddies and I opted in for the Alpha. So far, I've definitely seen my monies worth. The level of depth in this game is INSANE!

Last edited:
Looks interesting! Any new MMO where the publisher is confident in their game that they don't feel compelled to push scantily clad and unrealistically proportioned female characters to the forefront of promotional materials has my interest. :)

Signed up for beta!

And because that's just how I am, I have to ask: Has anyone independently confirmed that the Glyph client that Trion now uses does not include any malware or invasive DRM?

Wow you really felt you got $150 worth in an alpha that wont let you keep your toons for launch? Game must make your bed and serve coffee while playing !!

It is free to play when it launches, but there is a massive land rush that takes place and the 4 days head start will be very important for some people. Also the restrictions on the f2p are somewhat large if you are serious about being competitive. But a great portion of the game is available to you as F2P and you can buy months of Patron sub with in-game currency. It is not a bad setup at all.

Looks interesting! Any new MMO where the publisher is confident in their game that they don't feel compelled to push scantily clad and unrealistically proportioned female characters to the forefront of promotional materials has my interest. :)

Signed up for beta!

And because that's just how I am, I have to ask: Has anyone independently confirmed that the Glyph client that Trion now uses does not include any malware or invasive DRM?

Glyph looks clean to me but don't bother. Your first statement is completely invalidated when you enter character customization. The west faction women have physics like none other!

Glyph looks clean to me but don't bother. Your first statement is completely invalidated when you enter character customization. The west faction women have physics like none other!
That makes me frown. :(

Hypersexualization is not only offensive to women, it's just plain lazy. If you believe in your product and if your artists are talented, you can do better than your stereotypical dominatrix suffering a material shortage.

Less Dragon's Dogma and League of Legends, more Mirror's Edge and Beyond Good and Evil!

Yeah we have a female gamer that plays with us and she refuses to roll on the West faction because of the hormonal 13 yr old boy depiction of women. Sadly, everyone else wants to go that faction.

and wow I love Beyond Good and Evil!

Closed beta is just around the corner!

If you like crafting in games, this game is definitely something you should check out. The amount of depth in the crafting is insane.

Last edited:
Game is certainly a lot of fun, I have never seen such hype from beta players before. I jumped in for just enough time to know I want to play at launch. I don't care to play a beta toon that will get wiped. My guild did have about 20 so far in the beta and we practiced our land rush strats.

Just be aware it is completely PvP centric with just about all end game content in contested zones.

Last edited:
Game is certainly a lot of fun, I have never seen such hype from beta players before. I jumped in for just enough time to know I want to play at launch. I don't care to play a beta toon that will get wiped. My guild did have about 20 so far in the beta and we practiced our land rush strats.
Launch is going to be a blast. The massive land grabs and strategies to launch your guild into a strong position is definitely going to be awesome.

Yeah the 4 day headstart is worth its weight in $USD. No way you will have access to cool real estate after the first day or so.

This bothers me... all well.

ESRB-M-0514-NR.gif

it is not like you can really be competitive as a free player, basically they are giving you a free trial of most the content. Anyone who enjoys the game and wants to be serious will need to subscribe. (No farms/houses/auction house + horrid labor regen for f2p)

Last edited:
I am playing in Alpha but didn't put much time into the first CB. I plan to spend more time in the next CB. I haven't tried any of the crafting. I get a blast out of just trying to row the boats! Must be the old sailor coming out in me again. I don't have a favorite race yet. I usually like Elves but they all look rather interesting, more so than the odd races GW 2 has. Anyway we shall see what this game brings

I picked this up after seeing the amount of activity in our Mumble server for CB1. Amazing game. The questing is nothing spectactular. Run of the mill quests, but it does move you along from hub to hub well enough and there is only a handful of quests in each spot.

Graphically the game is very beautiful. The draw distances and views are amazing. The character models are also fairly well done but they pale in comparison to the game world. Physics on the women are a bit overstated. I didn't realize they were made of Jello. That being said, I can get past that. The armour is not as terrible as other games for hyper-sexualization (looking at you Tera) and most of the armour I have seen so far is pretty well covering.

Where this game shines is the sandbox aspects. You have loot for gear, but just about everything can be player crafted (and much of it needs to be). The systems in place for crafting, farming, and gathering are quite fun. Farming is very farmville like at its most basic level. The game encourages grouping for trade runs.

I am looking forward to owning some land. The land can be opened up to family or guilds so you can share the land and resources as you will. This allows groups to pool resources to get things done more efficiently. You can use this as well to setup "outposts" away from the main guild area. Land grab is a big thing and requires strategy (and almost demands access to the 4 day head start). Missing the land grab sucks but because of taxation, land can open up. It is next to impossible to find any land in Alpha as there are only two servers. This week there are many prime spots opening up because people have not paid their taxes. I expect to find some quality land this evening.

Trade runs are rewarding, though they are still tweaking this to make it better. They take a while as you move slower, but you have opportunities to take different travel methods, with the more risky ones being the quicker ones. It is definitely more fun with friends as you have the companionship. There are varied rewards for the trade runs based on supply and demand. For example, we took a run to an area that was at war and arrived just as it went to peace. We were safe from attack at that point and were likely the first ones in some time to come in there as risking the run when you can get attacked is often not worth it. The runs to the other continent are not as worthwhile at the moment but they are tweaking rewards. We have not gotten killed by players on any of the runs i was on, but crossing the sea was dangerous. There was also some excitement when we saw enemy sails closing in on us.

I have not tried any PvP yet so I cannot comment on it.

I find the class system interesting. You have a handful of skillsets and you can pick three. Each combination corresponds to a different class title. Some are more viable than others. A few are pretty bad. Balancing of the classes is ongoing and will likely always be given that there are 120 combinations of classes.

Gameplay is similar to WoW for combat. Skill bars and fairly stationary combat. It is not quite as stationary as FFXIV but it is not action combat. I have enjoyed it so far.

I am playing in Alpha but didn't put much time into the first CB. I plan to spend more time in the next CB. I haven't tried any of the crafting. I get a blast out of just trying to row the boats! Must be the old sailor coming out in me again. I don't have a favorite race yet. I usually like Elves but they all look rather interesting, more so than the odd races GW 2 has. Anyway we shall see what this game brings

If you aren't grouped up with anyone, come catch us over in SOLA and get a ride on one of the clippers. If you liked rowing, the clipper will blow you away. It is spectacular. If you have a nice graphics card, the water looks unbelievable too.

Back