Arche Age Online

Which continent/ race would you like to play in ArcheAge?

• Total voters
Can I withdraw my vote? Not interested in this game anymore after the Cash Shop debacle of 8/22.
Its pure pay to win now. Regrade pots to lower RNG on BiS upgrades, Eco Fuel, donkeys, tractor upgrades. Also a bunch of economy breaking items like Hourglasses/sandglasses that are money makers for Alchemists are now instantly available. People with disposal income now have a MASSIVE advantage.
Hold up a sec...

I'm going to address all of these with my opinion.

Regrade charms
They're not as good as you think. Last night I gave them a try with the credits I was given with my Founder's pack. My Hasla staff went from Heroic > Heroic > Arcane > Heroic > Unique. The regrade charms claim to give +50% chance... But my experience is that it's still not that great. Last night I spent over 1000g on regrades. Regrading is still going to be a MASSIVE gold sink. On top of that, once you're past Unique, the item has a chance of being destroyed and there are 6 quality levels past Unique. Anyone can buy the regrade charms as well. At the moment, you can buy a regrade charm off the AH for 9g (For the low end charm). Yes, you can buy the charms with real dollars. But you can also buy them with gold. Everyone has access to them. Given my experience, I don't think the regrade charms are a big deal.

Trion also mentioned on their livestream that they put the charms in the marketplace because they want feedback. Hopefully they're going to listen to what everyone has to say. I personally don't care if they stay or are removed.

Donkeys, Mounts and Tractor Upgrades
Again I don't really see a problem with this. At the moment you can buy your mount or donkey with gold or on the marketplace with credits. The tractor upgrade gives you 2 extra spots for trade packs (4 packs to 6 packs). The upgrade can easily be purchased off the AH. Last I checked, they were running 150g each.

Sandglass and Eco Fuel
This is my biggest problem. Trion is undermining Alchemists by including these items in the marketplace. Because players will be able to buy these items off the marketplace, it will drastically dictate the value of the items on the AH. On top of that, when the game is released and everyone is busy building clippers and other ships, it will be easy to repair your ship. When alpha was released, it took some people over a month to get their boat repaired because you had to find someone that had put a lot of work into Alchemy. I like that mechanic.

In conclusion... Yes players with disposable income will have a small advantage. But everything can be purchased on the AH with gold. In alpha, most of the items that are bought with credits are being sold for extremely reasonable prices on the AH. But I think if they remove the Sandglass and Eco Fuel it will level the playing field a bit more.

These are just my opinions after playing the Alpha for almost 3 months.

Last edited:
I agree that it is the crafted items in the shop that are the most worrisome. Having cash shop dictate prices is not how you want a sandbox economy to function. As for the charms it is popular thought that items like the Superior Yellow Regrade Charm is what killed the game in Korea and Russia. Anytime you mess with BiS items in a game you are really crossing the P2W line in my opinion and this does that.

Last edited:
As for the charms it is popular thought that items like the Superior Yellow Regrade Charm is what killed the game in Korea and Russia.
There are other items in Korea that killed the game too. You can buy trees that always become Thunderstruck and you can also buy BiS gliders and mounts. Thankfully, Trion made it very clear that if the gliders or mounts make it into the marketplace that they will not be BiS.

Last edited:
There was a good summary on this topic from reddit that I agreed with:

• Anything purely cosmetic completely ok
  • Mounts/gliders that aren't BiS totally fine. They're basically cosmetic at that point.
  • Convenience items, toeing the line but they need to be thought about and balanced carefully. Labor pots/vocation tonics are fine but need to be more limited.
  • Anything that gives an advantage in a system is right out. No regrade pots, not BiS items, nothing.
  • Anything craftable is right out. This causes the cash shop to dictate the price of the item. Which causes the cash shop to dictate the price of the items needed to craft said item. This is too large of an effect on the economy.

There are other items in Korea that killed the game too. You can buy trees that always become Thunderstruck and you can also buy BiS gliders and mounts. Thankfully, Trion made it very clear that if the gliders or mounts make it into the marketplace that they will not be BiS.

Exactly, and Trion is only getting started here. Testing the waters.

There was a good summary on this topic from reddit that I agreed with:

• Anything purely cosmetic completely ok
  • Mounts/gliders that aren't BiS totally fine. They're basically cosmetic at that point.
  • Convenience items, toeing the line but they need to be thought about and balanced carefully. Labor pots/vocation tonics are fine but need to be more limited.
  • Anything that gives an advantage in a system is right out. No regrade pots, not BiS items, nothing.
  • Anything craftable is right out. This causes the cash shop to dictate the price of the item. Which causes the cash shop to dictate the price of the items needed to craft said item. This is too large of an effect on the economy.
I upvoted that comment. I 100% agree with all 5 points.

I been in 2 betas thus far and i havent noticed its being p2w at all. obviously if u p2p you will have a slight aadvantage however with myself and zerbe who are going to run the cga guilds for east and west there is not nearly the disadvantage cause our farms and what not can be set so that non p2p guild mates can use our stuff. i mean i think this is all mostly hearsay at the moment and until launch we wont know forsure. i mean u have games like wow where if u have the money u can buy top level raid gear from thrid partys thats part of an mmo u will always have people with more money that can cheap or hack or abuse the system doesnt mean it will happen constantly

I been in 2 betas thus far and i havent noticed its being p2w at all. obviously if u p2p you will have a slight aadvantage however with myself and zerbe who are going to run the cga guilds for east and west there is not nearly the disadvantage cause our farms and what not can be set so that non p2p guild mates can use our stuff. i mean i think this is all mostly hearsay at the moment and until launch we wont know forsure. i mean u have games like wow where if u have the money u can buy top level raid gear from thrid partys thats part of an mmo u will always have people with more money that can cheap or hack or abuse the system doesnt mean it will happen constantly

Well this is all from the patch today. The new items that has the forums raging were just put in and confirmed. It has yet to see how Trion will respond to the community. I assume most are not aware and are just playing the game, but this is a game breaker for me if it is not reversed.

That really depends on what you are willing to put up with. This is already a subscription game with mandatory cash shop items and now they add pay to win trash?!? This is a game breaker for me and thousands of others if they don't reverse it. This will kill the NA launch IMO. The good thing is they say they want feedback and I believe they are getting it.

Last edited:
i tried 2 of the items today and 1 was a nice upgrade but when i tried it again it downgraded it so idk if that glitched but if its not it seems to me more of a pay for a chance to win item not guarentee

Yeah they are just % upgrades, you can still fail and go backwards. Which brings up the point. You have the Best in Slot items requiring a large amount of upgrading done to them with a horrible % for it to work out, with the only viable solution being using the regrade items. The best regrade items are really expensive on the AH and will take many hours to farm. Or you can have them in mere seconds if you pay cash. I am fine with the gold sink if everyone is has to put in their time farming for them. But, to know that someone with disposal income can pay $ for all the gold they need to keep trying over and over and with the best regrade items is why I believe this is a p2w system. If you happen to be on a server with some of the whales on it, you can bet you will see BiS items on the AH early on in the game if these cash shop items stay. In a PvP based game that is very competitive, this kind of advantage is gross.

Last edited:
i bought 4 regrades on the Ah for like 10 gold and that took me maybe 2 hours to get while goofing around on an alt and im only level 20 ish mind u. idk ewok i know there is def some reasons for concerns but playing first hand they arent nearly as game breaking as you seem to be making it out to be, are you in the beta? if so what server?

I have had access to an alpha account with max level toons for 4 months now. Have toons in beta on the first server but not playing currently as I've done all I want before launch.

I don't think you get it. Prices for the best regrade will skyrocket on live, expect week long grinds for them. You don't need one of these best regrades you need tons.

Last edited:
Hey all I want to apologize for being so negative in this thread. I have just been let down by another gaming company and it really ticks me off. I have been watching this game for years, fooled around with Korean and Russian clients, watched tons of hours of streams and now helped form a community around it. I have defended Trion to many and helped they make the decision to spend $150 on this game. Then to see the scumbaggery moves with the cash shop like this makes me rather embarrassed and very disappointed. Hopefully they are listening to the masses and have the power to reverse these recent decisions. Nonetheless i realize you are trying to form a guild here so I will stop with the comments on this topic. I have said my piece here and leave it in the hands of the developers to make the right decision. Sorry to muddy up this thread, it just set me off to see people accepting this move as "not that big a deal".

Last edited:
Ewoks the game is not out yet there is still a chance they will change it up, cheer up :) . Even if they don't it's just a game there are so many other fish in the sea (and more immoral things to get upset about than game play in them XD ).

Last edited:
Back