Anime on Crunchyroll

Neirai the Forgiven

Christian Guilds List Manager
There's a lot of anime on crunchyroll! What should I watch next? Review some of these for me, please!
Personally, I'd like to avoid rampant ecchi, or pointless ecchi, and I'm not a big fan of watching anything in the horror genre. It's not that I'm scared, but I do get disturbed very easily.

The List:

Shows I'm rather interested in.
Code Geass
Coluboccoro
Gakutsuou
Heroman
Miracle Train
Myself Yourself watched!
Natsume Yujincho
Tegami Bachi: Letter Bee

Shows I'd like to watch sometime, but prioritizing them is hard. Which is where you come in.
11 Eyes
Air Master
Angelic Layer
Best Student Council
Black Jack
Cobra
Captain Harlock
Chi
Dear Boys
Durarara
Erin
Eureka Seven
Eyeshield 21 (maybe)
Fairy Musketeers
Fist of the North Star
Galaxy Express 999
Glass Maiden
Glass Mask
Hanamaru Kindergarten
Hanasakeru Seishonen
Happiness
Hayate no Gotuku
Kaasan
La Corda d'Oro
Mobile Suit Gundam, Mobile Suit Gundam 00, etc
Natsu no Arashi
Naruto. Maybe.
Pale Cocoon
Reborn!
Shangri-la. Maybe
Saki
Sherlock Hound is Miyazaki
Shugo Chara
Skip Beat!
Slam Dunk
The Diary of Tortov Roddle
Time of Eve
WBS
Yumeiro Patissiere

Shows that I'd like to hear more about before watching.
Asura Cryin'
The Book of Bantorra
Catblue Dynamite
Cencoroll

Last edited:
Code Geass
My advice as a friend: Skip it. The first season starts off strong enough, but ends on a nasty cliffhanger and the second season is a trainwreck. Not only that, but Code Geass defines the term "fetish fuel." I could link to TV Tropes to explain what I mean or I could go into greater detail, but I don't want to--and you don't want me to. Just be forewarned: There's not much in the way of explicit material in Code Geass, but there's enough fodder for fans of the more unsavory sub-genres of anime to pack out a doujinshi convention. (But hey, it's CLAMP. What else would you expect?)

My advice as one student of animation to another: It is considered by many to be a recent addition to a sort of informal "required reading" list for anime.

Natsume Yujincho
I loved this series. I didn't find out until after I watched both anime series (Natsume Yuujinchou and Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou that the series are based off a shoujo manga--and the discovery didn't bother me at all. That's how awesome this anime is.

Loving it so far, but I have a soft spot for outlandish characters, messed up character relatioships, and Loki-type characters.

Eureka Seven
My wife and I only watched up to episode 6 or 7 because we lost interest. YMMV. Not a bad series, just...meh. I've been told it gets much better later on, but I couldn't stay tuned in long enough to care and find out.

Hayate no Gotuku
Some ecchi. I forget how much because I always just remember how funny the series are. The second series is better than the first.

Naruto. Maybe.
I'll tell you what I tell everyone who expresses any interest in Naruto or Bleach: Skip the anime, read the manga.

If you skip the anime, though, find and watch episode 133 (of the first series, not Shippuuden) if you can. It is, IMHO, one of the best animated fight scenes ever and representative of what Naruto could have been if it didn't suffer from Dragon Ball Z-style stretching (where a fight that should take 1-2 episodes takes 5-6).

Cencoroll
Wait, isn't Cencoroll a movie, not a series?

11 Eyes
I liked the premise behind this. Was a bit of ecchi though.

Durarra
I'm with Tek on this, in that I'm enjoying it a lot currently.

Time of Eve
This was a great OVA series. Very Asmovian in its handling of things.

Time of Eve
This was a great OVA series. Very Asmovian in its handling of things.
I'm sold.

Too bad it's licensed. :(

EDIT: I forgot this thread is about Crunchyroll. I download episodes in full instead of streaming them, so I sometimes forget streaming services even exist.

Natsume Yujincho
Waaaatch iiiit. It goes down as one of my all-time favorites. It does draw heavily on Japanese mythology though. That may bother some. But it's a fantastic story with fantastic characters. Really beautifully done, IMO. I love series that perfectly juxtapose humor and more serious stuff.

I've also enjoyed it a lot so far.

Hayate no Gotuku
I would say it's not that ecchi. I can think of one moment in particular in the first series. I can't remember much about the second, but I think the transitions between A-Part/B-Part had more fan-service than the actual show itself. (??) But I agree the second series is far better. There's a bit of joke-gender-bending in both.

La Corda d'Oro
If you watch it, let me know. It's been on my list to try watching.

Skip Beat!
I am in looooove with the manga. Almost to the point of being pathetic. The anime left much to be desired, IMHO. It was a bit manic for my taste, but the source material is good, and a lot of people like it, so I wouldn't say don't watch it. It's certainly not ecchi or offensive.

Last edited:
My wife and I only watched up to episode 6 or 7 because we lost interest. YMMV. Not a bad series, just...meh. I've been told it gets much better later on, but I couldn't stay tuned in long enough to care and find out.

The movie, pocketful of rainbows (?), is much easier to sit through then 50+ episodes. I never could finish the series either, zZz.

Back