Android app and game recommendations

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
Good news, everyone!

My wife and I finally took the plunge and bought two Galaxy Nexus phones (one for me, one for her). According to FedEx, the phones should arrive tomorrow, but our cases will probably arrive on Tuesday or Wednesday.

This seemed like the perfect time to ask all the Android experts in the community what apps they recommend.

Oddly enough, the only things I found I use on my phone that didn't come with it are Angy Birds, Steam, Shazam, Amazon MP3, Skype, Cracked Lite (lol, I'm addicted to that site) and the BNet authenticator. Guess I'm not a huge app guy...

I agree, you will find that there are a lot of app already on your phone so I recommend that you play with it just to get to know it.

One app I really like on my Nexus is LightFlow. It utilizes the led in the front to let you know what's in your notifications while the screen is off. I have the free "LightFlow Lite", but the paid version lets you set light notifications for more apps (eg. all Facebook apps). I also got Beautiful Widgets when it was on sale on the Play store.

Also, make sure you get Amazon Appstore (not available in the Play store, open browser and go to Amazon's site and there will be a link somewhere to download the app). You can get the free app of the day. Oh!...and get Chrome! =)

P.S. - You know if we lived near each other, I could just visit the 2 of you and Beam my apps over to your phones. =P

YouVersion Bible
AppyGeek
AirDroid (send files back and forth on wireless to your phone)
Chrome
Doggcatcher ($$ but best podcast app ever)

If you go root and want to flash ROMs on your phone....
RomManager (for managing your roms, root required)
TitaniumBackup
RootExplorer

Agree with YouVersion Bible, and Chrome. If you do a lot of texting, I would add Handcent. Adds a quick reply popup, so you don't have to go into the app to reply. If you use it, make sure to go into the stock messaging app, and turn off notifications, or you will get double in your top bar.

On the rooting \ custom ROMS topic, I would recommend staying away from Rom Manager, as I have had many problems with it. Its not to hard to get the hang of doing things manually, and you learn quite a bit in the process. Once rooted, its easy to install CWM (Clockworkmod Recovery). Once thats installed, it super easy to take backups, restore from backups, and install custom ROMs \ kernels. A warning though, if you do decide to go that route, it can be addicting :) My phone (Galaxy S 4G) hasn't been stock since day one, and hasnt been the same rom for more than 2 weeks, as I am always trying new things out.. Running ICS 4.0.4 right now, and running great :)

I only own an Android tablet. I'm not a big app person as well but here's what I use regularly:

YouVersion Bible
Our Daily Bread
WiFi Analyzer
Norton Utilities
Flixster
SoundHound
All Recipes
Grooveshark
Amazon Kindle
Words With Friends
Alchemy

I have tons - but the must haves for me are:

YouVersion Bible - simple easy Bible
Geocaching.com - if you are into geocaching
WordswithFriends - if you are into it
MovieNightOut - easy and quick movie finder
Dropbox - auto-loads my phone photos to dropbox so I can access from any computer
AmazonKindle
GoogleMaps
MyTracks - tracks my walks or bike rides

I don't plan on rooting my Galaxy Nexus since it's a Nexus device and receives the latest version of Android without having to wait for wireless provider or hardware manufacturer approval anyway.

I don't plan on rooting my Galaxy Nexus since it's a Nexus device and receives the latest version of Android without having to wait for wireless provider or hardware manufacturer approval anyway.

If you aren't on Verizon this is correct.

So I've got some apps installed.

Let's talk GAMES.

I plan on buying Angry Birds Space tonight. What else do you all recommend?

MySword - is also a very good Bible app with tons of dwnloadable content and various Bibles.
Evernote - is one of my most used apps for my business. You install it on your android and your computer and it automatically syncs between the two. You can even include pics in your note taking.
Temple Run - is a pretty fun game, very addictive.

Let's talk GAMES.

Sorry, I would give you my appshopper list with 123 owned and 315 on wishlist, but they are all iOS games...

Sorry, I would give you my appshopper list with 123 owned and 315 on wishlist, but they are all iOS games...
Feel free to post that in a separate thread. I'll still have to use an iPhone for work, but I plan on wiping and reloading it now that I have a smartphone of my own (and I don't really need Pandora and Netflix on a work phone).

Let's talk GAMES.

All the games I have on my phone are from getting the free apps of the day from Amazon appstore. :D

All the games I have on my phone are from getting the free apps of the day from Amazon appstore. :D
Any gems among the freebies?

And what are the odds of a game being featured as the Amazon free app of the day twice?

Back