An introduction and questions about GW

LivingbyFaith

Hello, my RL name is Damon and I live in Colorado. I have been with ToJ playing World of Warcraft with Redeemed for the past 2 years and I felt it was time for a change and this one looked like a good one to come to. I know this is kind of like WoW but the subscription fees are much better with GW LOL. Anyway I didn't get the game trough the store (yes I hacked it JK) I went to the PlayNC website (because I have also played City of Herros that they also put out) gave them my CC number and they then gave me the link to download the client and so I have no books to read about the game. My charater is now lv 7 E/N I was kind of hoping to just go with E but I had this thing that kept telling me to go pick up another profession so I got the N. Any way because I don't have any manual on the game and with me not having this for just a few days I have some questions that I hope someone can answer for me because I dont' seem to find a basic website that covers the basics of the game. So here are some of the questions I have so far or that I am thinking of right now. (BTW I did download the lates Xpack Eye of the North)

1. 1. With the abilities or powers I right now only have 4 slots to put the spells in, but have like 7 total with 3 just sitting there waiting for me to do something with them, as I get higher in levels will I get more slots to put them in or is 4 it and I have to pick and choose depending on what roll I am going to be or the area that I am in

2. What is the highest level of the game. From what I have seen others list the level of their chearacters I am guessing its lv 20.

3. I was looking at another website at the other professions and it talks about 10 different professions. I only get to choose 6 of them Elementalist, Mesmer, Monk, Necromancer, Ranger, and Warrior. I am guessing the others are unlocked in one of the other packs that you can buy but what one. Also I have read that you can have 6 different characters. I can only have 4 so I am guessing the other 2 will open up if I get one of the other add-ons. Is there a better one to get over the other if you were to get one before the other. Like is it better to get Factions before nightfall because that is how they came out or does it matter.

4. Now that I have gone away from the starter zone I have noticed that once I die I get weaker each time I die (I am becoming a master at this ability) and from what I have noticed is 60% is the max. Is there a way to get that to come back down to like 0% any faster than just waiting. I seems like it drops a persentage like ever 2 or so minutes so if thats true then it will take me 2 hours to get to 0% if I just stood around. I would think that there is some faster way to get that to come down faster.

5. On my abilities bar some of the icons have an arrow in the upper right hand corner what is that arrow for.

I guess that is the ones that I can think of right now. I know I will have others so it is normal with a new game. I have been on the ToJ's TS the past few nights with the username of D2, if someone sees me on there please stop by and say hi and if there is another server or channel everyone hangs out in let me know so I can meet everyone else that is here.

1. you have 8 skill slots, and as you progress through the game, you will earn more skills to put in the remaining slots... you can use them all if you have enough skills to put in all 8 slots.
  2. the level cap is 20
  3. there are 6 core professions available to all games... Factions and Nightfall have two other professions each. you only have Prophecies, which only comes with the original six. again, with only one campaign on your account, you only get 4 character slots. It doesn't matter which campaigns you have first, but you may want to consider whether you want all the skills for PvP gameplay or you just want to PvE through a campaign with what it gives you. If the latter is your favorite, i suggest asking around and seeing which campaign you would enjoy more.
  4. you don't lose Death Penalty (DP) simply over time. You gradually lose it when you gain experience points, and Morale Boosts (the opposite of DP) counteract it (you get +2 Morale when you defeat a boss). Also, if you want to remove it all instantly, enter a town or an outpost.
  5. some things in the top right corner indicate the type of skill it is... enchantment spells (put on yourself and allies) are yellow/gold arrows pointing up. hex spells (put on enemies) are purple arrows pointing down. there are a few extra ones for assassins (Factions campaign), but you apparently don't need to know about those yet...

if i see you in game, please allow me to introduce you to the wonderful world of pvp. if you enjoy it, you may want the factions campaign.

also, in case you were wondering, i don't address people over the internet by real names (usually) unless it's part of their username... it's just odd.

Guildwiki.com is a great place to get answers for questions, but if that doesnt work asking here will always help ya out

Thank you for those answers. It helps to get more of an understanding about how the game is laid out. I did forget one question that I can't seem to find an answer for. I have been picking up several light blue items (and one purple in WoW that would be an epic I was excited that I have an epic item now. lol) but they are unidentified. I have played one game before that you would some times get unidentifed items and if you wanted to sell them as that you would get say 1 0r 2 gold but you could pay someone to identify it for you and the stats would then get better on the item and if you then went to sell it insead of getting 1 or 2 gold you would then get like 10-15 gold because its now worth more. Is that the way it is in this game if so, who can identify items. And are there soceted items in the game. I think I have one or two items that seem to be for socets that say something like +3 helth or +4 energy so it makes me think that if you can put that with an item then that will give that item a + what ever extra. If this is the case how so I get these soceted items to put them into or do they just drop form random mobs or so I get them crafted.
What is the advantage of having an item customised for you. I went to a vender and they would customise what ever was in my invenotry.

I know these all must seem noob questions and I do thank everyone in helping me out to understand this game. I know with WoW people would get confused at some items and so it helps to be able to ask the questions to better enjoy the game.

I would answer these, but honestly, the Wiki is much clearer then I will be.

sorry for all the links, but you will see how clear and informative they are. Hope you enjoy the game!

or you can take my short explanation that cuts straight to what needs to be known only about rarity and IDing:

white - normal
light blue - sort of rare
purple - rare
gold - very rare
green - unique (very rare)

you purchase identification kits that can identify items that say "unidentified"... the more costly the kit, the better identification and higher value increase on the item.

i don't know or care much about sockets...

however as for customizing: you can't sell it but it gives you a better bonus... (usually you shouldn't customize unless you have max armor or money grows on trees for you...)

Welcome to the game LBF.

Amicus Dei of [FoG];249625 said:
you purchase identification kits that can identify items that say "unidentified"... the more costly the kit, the better identification and higher value increase on the item.

I have never heard that one ID kit is better than any other. Not even on the wikki page

Kel Queen of all Europe

The only difference in identification kits is how many uses you get out of it. The normal ones that have 20 or 25 uses in it is a whole lot cheaper than the one that has 100 uses in it.

The thing that he may have been thinking of is the salvage kits. With salvage kits - you can salvage off different parts of weapons or just basically "break" the item down into crafting materials. Now other than the # of uses being a major difference in salvage kits, there is one major difference that needs to be noted: Normal Salvage Kits ALWAYS will break the item down into crafting materials, however, Expert and Superior Salvage Kits will give you the option of salvaging different weapon parts, runes, insignias, etc off of the item first (while the item might still break, you'll get to keep the item upgrade).

It's also a good idea to identify a weapon or a piece of armor before you use a salvage kit on it, so you'll be able to know what you can/can't get out of it.

Good luck! :)

Edit: My last piece of advise goes for weapons/armors that are light blue or higher in rarity. If the item is already white then you most likely will only be able to get crafting material out of it when it's salvaged. (I don't think you can salvage Green (unique)/(ultra rare) items... though I may be wrong.)

Last edited:
The only difference in identification kits is how many uses you get out of it. The normal ones that have 20 or 25 uses in it is a whole lot cheaper than the one that has 100 uses in it.
Its accualy cheaper to go with the smaller ID kits. But i always do the larger one cause its more conveinent for me.
Guildwiki.com said:
There is a clear trade-off for the increased number of uses, compared to the standard Identification Kit: For the 500 cost of one Superior ID kit, you could buy five (5) standard ID kit's which will provide 125 uses instead of merely 100. Alternatively, four Standard ID kits provide the same 100 uses for only 400 . The gold cost per Identification is 5 with a Superior ID kit, but only 4 with a standard ID kit.
Bottom line: The Superior kit is less price efficient than the standard kit if paid in gold. Superior identification kits are a better deal if they are traded for. If inventory space is at a premium, you will probably want to opt for the more expensive Superior kit despite its higher price tag.

LivingByFaith: Welcome to the game. :)

When they refer to "trading" for Superior Salvage Kits, they mean using Equipment Requisitions or Monastery Credits or the like to get the kits from NPCs. They are cheaper per use than a standard kit that way...and much easier to carry around! However, if you only have Prophecies (that's why you only have the six profession choices), that's not an issue; those come from the two other campaigns. (And those campaigns are stand alones, by the way...though you can add them to the first campaign to allow all your characters access to all the areas, and give yourself two extra character slots per campaign.)

As far as professions go, you HAVE to have a second profession to progress past a certain point, so it's not really optional. Without one, you are stuck with only a few quests, and no way to go past the beginning area. However, you cannot change your secondary profession until much later in the game, so think hard before you accept one.

If you haven't accepted the necro profession yet, go ahead and do the quests for the other professions, but don't accept the offer to choose your profession for the other professions. Once you've done the other four quests, you can go back to Mistress Munne and accept necro as your secondary profession. You get experience points for each of the profession quests, and it also gives you a better understanding of the other professions...which is good, since every monster is one or two professions. :)

Last edited:
LivingByFaith, Welcome to the wonderful world of Guild Wars!
It is truly a great game with fanatical players and an incredibly supportive development team.
Yes, you're a noob now. Nothing to be ashamed about. If I step into WoW I would be a lil lost puppy. Thankfully, you have Guildwiki to take you through everything you need to know about any GW campaign/expansion.

My advice is to take your time and enjoy every quest. Dont rush through the storylines. Join parties and make friends. Many of us have been playing for over 2 yrs and still love this game. Eventually you'll want to get Eye of The North and experience playing with "Heroes." They make the game so much better.
Have fun!
Will =)

I agree with Dredd "Colorado RULES!" =)

hahahaha, it was alot easier back when we had halonic bonding me i'll admit that. But yeah, ele power ftw.

Welcome to the guild, If you have xfire just msg me or find me in-game or PM me here and i'll be more than happy to come and help you and play around.

Back