An Atheist holiday

mrpopdrinker

I dont know if this is true or not infact I doubt that it is but it is still funny and it should be true.

In Florida, an atheist became incensed over the preparation for Easter and Passover holidays and decided to contact his lawyer about the discrimination inflicted on atheists, by the constant celebrations afforded to Christians and Jews with all their holidays while the atheists had no holiday to celebrate.

The case was brought before a wise judge who after listening to the long, passionate presentation of his lawyer, promptly banged his gavel and declared, "Case dismissed!"

The lawyer immediately stood and objected to the ruling and said, "Your honor, how can you possibly dismiss this case?

Surely the Christians have Christmas, Easter and many other observances. And the Jews--why in addition to Passover they have Yom Kippur and Hanukkah...and yet my client and all other atheists have no such holiday!"

The judge leaned forward in his chair and simply said "Obviously your client is too confused to know about or to celebrate the atheists' holiday!"

The lawyer pompously said "We are aware of no such holiday for atheists, just when might that be, your honor?"

The judge said "Well it comes every year on exactly the same date---April 1st!"

"The fool says in his heart, 'There is no God.'"

Well, technically Easter is a pagan holiday anyway, tho Christians have adapted it. The very origins of the name are that of a pagan goddess (she sometimes spells it Eostre too). In her you'll find the roots of both the "easter egg" and the "easter bunny" too. I don't remember if it was herself or her son who were incarnated by being born from a huge red egg (the eggs used on the white house lawn are still red...as are the ones given in other countries). And somewhere along the line, either she or he turned into a rabbit thingy. Anyway. Point being....atheists don't know crap.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (stormy @ Feb. 02 2004,7:02)]Well, technically Easter is a pagan holiday anyway, tho Christians have adapted it.  The very origins of the name are that of a pagan goddess (she sometimes spells it Eostre too).  In her you'll find the roots of both the "easter egg" and the "easter bunny" too.  I don't remember if it was herself or her son who were incarnated by being born from a huge red egg (the eggs used on the white house lawn are still red...as are the ones given in other countries).  And somewhere along the line, either she or he turned into a rabbit thingy.  Anyway.  Point being....atheists don't know crap.
I think it can be spelled Ishtar as well, or was Ishtar somone else? I knew about the egg but I had no idea about the bunny. Just another reason to add to my list of why I stopped celebrating christmas and easter.

A lot of the secular easter traditions did originate from pagans, but the fact that we remember the death and resurrection of Christ has nothing to do with anything pagan.  The time of year and the fact that Christ was crucified and resurrected is all accurate.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]"We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake, so that his life may be revealed in our mortal body. So then, death is at work in us, but life is at work in you." - 2 Corinthians 4:10

The above says to me that we need to be remember & reflecting Christ's death daily and not just once a year.

(my $0.02 for the day -- just sharing some thouhts)
wink.gif

Back