all roku.for.us.now ;)

Logos

Well we did it. Got rid of cable/satellite and got just the little roku player with hulu and netflix. So far for the past two months we have saved a ton of money. Ironic we get rid of cable after I get my third raise in six months. But God is good and faithful!! :) now if I could mist get a good laptop.

lol...we find we can fill our TV watching time with netflix and hulu just fine.

add Amazon prime to that and you are really set.

Love Amazon Prime. Not the best selection yet, but it's growing every day. The free 2-day shipping alone is worth the price of Amazon Prime.

Amen - and again I say Amen - to Amazon Prime. Been with them for years. Not my go-to place for movies yet, but the selection is growing, like you said.

Love Amazon Prime. Not the best selection yet, but it's growing every day. The free 2-day shipping alone is worth the price of Amazon Prime.

Agreed, their free 2-day shipping is worth the price since I order from them a lot. I still prefer Netflix streaming over Amazon Prime's movies though. I have Comcast's basic cable. Total, I pay about $26 for Netflix & cable. I discontinued Netflix's mail service last year.

Roku player FTW!!!!!!! We do mostly Netfliks on it, but I will occasionally dive in Pub-D-Hub(I think that is it's name) free section, for some really old stuff, all of which is public domain. Try the old Army training cartoons some time, some really strange stuff. The other thing we use on Roku is Pandora. We have created several stations from Latino to classical and Contemporary Christian, and have music on most of the time. Even paying $16.00 and change a month Netfliks is a wonderful bargain.

I think the day Samsung releases an Amazon Instant Video app for our TV (a Samsung LN46C670) is the day we kick Netflix to the curb.

If Amazon Instant Video has subtitled anime, we may do it even sooner and just use the PS3 app.

I'd very likely buy a Roku box if I wasn't so enamored with good subtitled anime and didn't already have an old desktop hooked up to my TV as a torrent box (for legal torrents) and media center PC.

Well I am am using hulu for my anime subtitled so. Far the lineup is decent.
I tried a 30-day trial of Hulu Plus, but refuse to pay for a service that requires me to watch ads--which is a shame, because Hulu has a great lineup of subbed anime. If Hulu Plus didn't tack on ads, I would have already kicked Netflix to the curb in favor of Hulu.

I cut the cable a couple years ago and have not regretted it a bit. We have an antenna hooked up to our TV for local programming. Then we use Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, and the network sites for everything else. We have a Roku, but I don't use it much anymore since I picked up a refurbished Mac Mini last fall. The Mac Mini is connected to our TV and lets us stream everything. The downside of Roku is that some content is unavailable for it.

You might want to check out playon (http://www.playon.tv/playon) though. It lets you set up a server on your PC to stream content that isn't normally available on Roku.

As for Amazon Prime, this may not help everyone, but they used to provide discounts for students. I'm not sure if that's changed or not. I signed up last fall for half price since I'm in grad school.

Back