Agro from Blizzard

Have you ever seen how many gamers can't type or read basic English, and subsequently can't communicate effectively? I think that the link is appropriate :)

Although GP does present an effective way to get around Blizzard's policy that doesn't violate the spirit of the law, so to speak.

It was quite funny too, lol.

...and I agree with what Ppar3566 said, well said.

just /who on my guild other day when i was on my main and nothin came up, even though members where online, just found out the GM's spelt the guild name wrong when they changed it back :p

I guess I should mention that there's a few things to be said here, based on past experience as an Officer of The Forgiven:

1. It's possible to be a Christian guild and not get yourself into any sort of trouble. The Forgiven actually once did a "FAQ" thread on the Terenas forums. We stated that we were a Christian guild and that we wanted to collect questions from the general community about Christians and gaming. We also decided to be careful not to so much as flinch at some of the comments that people made. We just thanked them for their time. At the end of the two-week period, we put the FAQ on our website and posted the link. No problem whatsoever. Thread wasn't even closed (since there was no flame wars.)

2. According to Blizzard's own forums two years ago (I have not checked since, sorry) there's nothing against having a religious guild. That GM was, as far as I'm concerned, fairly seriously out of line. Unless that's changed.

3. This is the really difficult one to take. I don't agree with Durruck that this is a form of persecution. Not really, anyway.

Let me begin with a story, about the one time that The Forgiven "got in trouble" with names and Blizzard. We had a character in the guild whose name was "Yahweh." He intended it as a tribute to the greatness of God. He was told his name was inconsiderate and offensive and that he had to change it. So he changed it to "Zebidiah," which means "dedicated to Yahweh." When he told me about it later, he basically said "jokes on them, the super-tolerance anti-Christian name police."

That's when I told him he was wrong. You see, "Yahweh" is highly offensive. Not to Christians, of course, who believe that they have the right to call Yahweh by his name -- but to Jews. Jews, if you recall, depending on which Jewish tradition of faith, are not permitted to call YHWH by his name. So they abbreviate, call him YHWH, or they call him Adonai, or a number of other dodges. Seeing the full name of YHWH in text is offensive to Jewish sensibilities. So it was only proper that "Yahweh" had his character's name changed.

"Zebidiah," meaning, again, "Dedicated to YHWH," is not offensive to Jews. In fact, the Jewish community on WoW would probably appreciate the nuances of "Zebidiah" and approve.

4. That brings us to the present siguation. "Forgiveness through Him." Is it really offensive?

It actually doesn't really hinge on who "Him" is. It's actually the word "through." If it was "Forgiveness From Him," than all the religious groups (Muslims, Jews, Christians) could all just shrug and say, "yeah, but it might as well be (pick one: Allah, YHWH, Jesus) and then it wouldn't be offensive. But if it's "Forgiveness though Him," that's a purely Christian concept. And so it is offensive to Jews, if not Muslims.

(Blizzard usually tells Atheists who claim to be offended by "Forgiveness" to take a long walk off of a short plank.)

5. So what to do? I'm not sure, but I'd strongly suggest that this is not "persecution" as much as a simple desire to run a tight business. I realize that it's not fun being told that your name is a problem, but I'd also like to point out that you're not totally in the clear, either. Blizzard is dealing with a global community here, and that often means dealing with conflicting sensabilities.

I don't understand where there coming from? they allow so much trash to go on in Trade chat/ general chat, that is anti religious/anti gay, racist, etc, how can recruiting for a christian guild be any worse than that. I dont' see anyone stopping the bashing of jews, or blacks, or christians getting stopped why should recruiting for your guild be any different.

I went in trade chat and asked if there were any Christian guilds and basically got laughed out of the channel. I had very derogatory comments made about my faith. I new it would happen, but I also didn't see Blizz step in and do anything about it.

I went in trade chat and asked if there were any Christian guilds and basically got laughed out of the channel. I had very derogatory comments made about my faith. I new it would happen, but I also didn't see Blizz step in and do anything about it.

Most policies are reactionary not proactive. It usually isn't cost effective to sit in 24/7 so long as the clients can report problems. If you want them to do something then record the chat and send it off to blizzard.

yea your right. I just really gets under my skin that people are so narrow minded that they can't even play a game without being "offended". I mean some of the stuff that goes on in general/trade chat, with the ages of kids playing these games, can be considered illegal if brought before an attorney. but I totally get what your saying.

i need ideas now on how to recruit without using the word christian etc or religion as a whole, however make it known we are a christian guild.

I just been getting members to act christian etc, and make a point of it, like instead of thank you i just been saying God Bless, that i wouldn't usualy say in RL...i would just say thank you.

Been trying to boost people as well and talk to them, and also just running round IF, Dalaran etc buffing people and when they say thanks i just go 'np, God Bless'

We are going to be doing in game events like hide and seak as well and we can promote through that as well by using a sighn up sheet on website mby so when they go to sigh up for hide and seak to try and win a LARGE prize of gold they see what the guilds about etc, mby get people asking questions

Englands a less relgious place than America unfortunatly

but could do with a fue more ideas realy

can you put the guild name? and just not say it is christian? put in the request, to pst for details and then tell them in the whisper.

Back