A fun little classic gaming challenge...

rev. Jim

Just wondering if anyone here would be interested in getting together and picking one of the more challenging NES games and having a race to see who could complete it the fastest.

I am thinking that we could all gather in a Skype session (or some other cross-platform VOIP service), and it would be a fun time.

There are no real prizes for the winner, just some classic game fun.

The games currently being considered are:

- Super Mario Bros. 1
- Super Mario Bros. 3
- Contra
- Super C
- Battletoads
- Double Dragon 2

The rules are simple: you must record your game (off-screen is okay as long as the picture is clear). This will probably end up on Youtube. The idea is to be able to watch everyone's screen at th same time and be compiled together.

You can not use warps or shortcuts, or any cheats , no turbo or controller scripts/macros.

Everyone will have infinite lives.

Above all, have fun.

We would need to set a time when everyone can be there, this has not been set.

So, any takers?

Last edited:
No warps? Gasp. I can run SMB in short order with warps... but without... that'd be hardtimescity.

I like your style. Cool idea. :)

Okay so it looks like there are maybe five people interested in this, we also need to set a time/date for this little challenge. There's still time to get in on this if anyone else wants to. It looks like the early favorites are SMB 1, and Battletoads.

Okay New details. After talking with everyone involved who confirmed that they wanted to participate, we have set a date of Saturday, March 2nd, 2013 @ 2:00pm

There is still time to join for anyone who might want to.
There will be a stream of some kind, but I am not the one setting it up. My technical knowledge is limited in that area.

I will be participating in the SMB 1 race, and am already practicing on the Wii version :D
(It won't be pretty, but laughs are guaranteed!)

Last edited:
Be sure to post the link to the livestream when it's confirmed. I'd be interested in watching!

I watched a 5:10 speedrun of SMB earlier. It was great. Makes me wanna try my hand at speedrunning. D:

Okay, 10 minutes till the start. We have four competitors for the Super Mario 1 race, with one cancellation (better odds for me :D)

Because we are meeting online without being in one physical location, we have opted against a livestream since we would need a dedicated recording person to just sit in the chat room and record everyone's gameplay... and we have no such person.

What we will do instead is have everyone sharing their gamescreen on skype and then we will compile the footage at the end, which we will then post/upload the final video.

This could very well be the most embarrassing thing I have ever gotten myself into. :eek:

I watched a 5:10 speedrun of SMB earlier. It was great. Makes me wanna try my hand at speedrunning. D:

5:10? I hope for my sake that it was either with warps or tool-assisted. Unless of course you mean 5 HOURS.

Last edited:
Well it's over! The fourth person was a no-show but even with only 3, I was no match for the incredible gaming skills of my long time friend, Mark.
He managed to clear all 24 worlds in 1h06m, with Jason right on his heels also on world 8-4 but unable to clear the final bowser.

Meanwhile I made several blunders in the early and mid-game... once I accidentally entered the warp area and had to let time expire to reset the level. My final resting place was world 6-4.

This was a blast to do though, we had some good laughs and hoping to do this again sometime with a different game.

Last edited:

Being fixed right now because for some reason the audio and video is out of sync.
Don't worry, you'll get to see me make a fool of myself and be utterly owned soon enough. :)

(I'm not the one doing the fixing, I'll check on it later today)

Last edited:
Just an update that yesterday I was visiting hospitals and rehab centers until around 10pm and was not able to contact the person about the video... Perhaps today will be more successful.
(and before someone says it, I'm not just stalling because I'm ashamed of my performance ;))

Okay I got in contact with Jason and this is what he said:

"I'm making progress on it but it is slow work. The delay in the audio is not consistent, it's 4 seconds in some places, 3 seconds in others, and it keeps changing, so I can't just shift the entire audio track by a fixed value. Plus these files are huge over 5 GB each, so rendering them takes hours each time. I'll need another few days. Jim, your camera sucks, please get a new one."

So it looks like it's my fault, and my little camera's fault. Oh well.

Jet to let everyone know... Jason met up with me after the service yesterday and told me that he's more than half-way done with the video now.
He's really been working hard on it. I told him not to stress over it too much, it's doubtful that anyone will want to watch the three of us fumble around in Mario for an hour (besides the three of us that is!). Anyway I'll be going to his home tomorrow night to put the finishing touches on it together with him. It seems I was the only one who recorded the skype session.

So I'll be posting the masterpiece on Thursday, once I find a suitable host for it.

Last edited:
Back