A few megachurches will be closed for Christmas

Thankfully I can do my spiritual thanksgiving by travelling to see and honour my family - it's convenient I know, but gathering together and celebrating a holiday together as we have since our family began all those generations ago is one big animist ritual, even though my parents don't realise it.

I will miss not seeing in the New Year at a shrine though, as I did last year. Last year was magical - the snow made you really believe in the death of the old year, but the happy faces of all the children, chattering away as they lined up to pay their respects, gave you hope for the New.

This year I think I'll get up in time to see the first Sunrise, light a cigarette (probably the only one I'll smoke in the UK) and think about all the friends and family that make my life what it is.

balrogdude27:
I think we should all still go to church on sunday, And i am only 15 years old! HONOR THE SABBATH AND KEEP IT HOLY! (Even tho the real sabbath should be on a saturday, Christian honor it on sunday.) Obey just what it says and dont go off and say: "GIVE ME PRESENTS NOW!" (I get about 4 presents in total for christmas anyways *Shrugs*) I think we should not close churches on sunday...

Personally, it does not bother me one bit if Churches don't offer a Sunday morning service on the day of Christmas, and I don't think it ought to bother any of us either. How can I say such a thing? It's simple, Sunday is no more of a "holy" day than Saturday (which is the sabbath), or Friday, or Monday. No day is inherently more special than another. And the reason that it does not matter if Churches don't offer a service in regards to the particular day is because Christ was the fulfillment of the law. Christ is our Sabbath. Church ought not to be looked at as a building. the "Church" is the body of believers. You can have "Church" in your home with your family on Christmas morning. Being in a building does not make a person more holy, or more Christian. Paul himself taught that no day is more special than another. Why then do we put these legalistic self-made bonds on ourselves when there is no need?

Churches want to close on Christmas morning - fine! The Church is wherever the body of Believers are - not in a building made of stone.

Obscurity said:
It's simple, Sunday is no more of a "holy" day than Saturday (which is the sabbath), or Friday, or Monday.

Say what?

Ex. 20: 8 "Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates. 11 For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

How is Saturday, the Sabbath, not holy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Simple, Christ is the fulfillment of the law. We no longer have to obey all of the laws from the OT that people love to quote so much. Jesus said it beautifully when responding to the Pharisees. He said that the entire law and all of the prophets were summed up in two commands - Love God and love others. That is the heart of the gospel and of Christ. Augustine once said, Love God, and do what you will. This is a great quote because if one were to truly understand what it meant to love God, then everything he did would flow from this love.

We don't have to perform sacrifices anymore, we don't have to obey the food laws anymore - Christ is the fulfillment of the law.

Let me point you towards Paul in Romans 14:4-8: Rom 14:4 Who are you to judge the servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls; and he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.
Rom 14:5 One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind.
Rom 14:6 He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God.
Rom 14:7 For not one of us lives for himself, and not one dies for himself;
Rom 14:8 for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord's.

Back