A call to shady people

Chaska

So I leveled 1-80, and learned to play my priest Holy. Duel spec comes around and Hooray I can live with getting Loremaster of Northrend. So I have this shadow spec and I'm trying to badge up my priest and that means I heal when I can but every once and a while I'm asked to go shadow. Single target rotation I understand I've got one that I"m very happy with. My issue is trash. I feel clumsy and ineffective because I'm just not sure how to go about it rotation wise. It's like everyone around me kills the mob of trash before I can start putting out my dps. So how do I become a better shady person?

I know this isn't much of a real writeup, but for trash I just target one, dot him up, then do my AOE on the one I have dotted. This way they are all taking damage.

For those that don't know, shadow priest aoe is centered around the target, but the target takes no damage. This is a strange mechanic as it also means if your target dies, you stop dealing aoe damage and have to retarget / restart the aoe.

There are some 5 mans where the rest of my group is so awesome that I get no real dps on trash, or they focus in on my target so my AOE gets interrupted even though the rest of the trash has barely taken any damage.

You really have to just pick a target you hope they won't down too quickly and go with it.

All this said, shadow priests aoe is such that for large trash groups, they get more dps than any equivalently geared class (as I understand it). I guess this is to make up a little bit for the weirdness that is our AOE.

as someone that has played shadow most of the time, here are a few things i have learned. a few glyphs to have: shadow, mindflay and mind sear. they help with dps. as for rotation for a single trash mod i go with blast, flay, flay and repeat. multiple trash i do what xandar does, find a mob in the middle somewhere and dot and sear. might lose a sec or two finding one no one is hitting, but it is worth it.

and as for mind sear getting more dps than other aoe, i have to disagree. soc, seed of corruption, from a lock trumps all aoes for dps in groups 3 or more.

two things: i wonder what the lock was doing if you had one on the run and the issue i have with mind sear is it's very small radius. 10 yards without the glyph and 15 with it. i notice some mobs are not within the radius at times.

Doesn't matter what the lock was doing as a shadow priest beats them for aoe. I can't say for icc gear, but at the ulduar level sp is top aoe. Single target is (was) another matter of course :)

Back