9Dragons Heroband

Armandus

Hello Tek7 and all my friends here at ToJ. I am playing the open beta for the game 9Dragons at the moment. It is an extensively entertaining MMO that offers a lot to people, including no fees! The game itself with require no fees also. The open beta characters will NOT be erased when the initial game comes out, so this Heroband is official, and will grow even larger when the actual game is released.

I would be truly grateful if you could set up a 9Dragons chapter forum for myself and other players. I will be creating a Heroband (a.k.a. Clan) in 9Dragons soon, but I will not do so without your blessing. The Heroband will consist of players who love the Lord Jesus, and love to involve him in every game such as this. So far I have found several players who are interested in joining this All-Christian Heroband!

I personally am very excited to lead something this fantastic. This is for everyone who falls short from the glory of God that play this game. It's time to bring Christ into our gaming life and spread the gospel and good news of Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior through our wonderful hobby.

(PM me if anyone is interested or has any questions)

Thank you for your time Tek7 and everybody, and I look forward to your response.

Your brother in Christ,

Armandus

I would need to review (or have another member review) 9Dragons for content, but as long the content is acceptable, I'd like to chat with you, Armandus, and discuss establishing a 9Dragons chapter. Your taking the initiative to make your post above is a great first step in the right direction.

I'll try to set aside some time later today or tomorrow to download, install, and review the game, but if someone could post a quick review of the game and any questionable content, I would greatly appreciate it.

Personal Review

9Dragons is about 9 Clans that exist in ancient China. At the moment, there are thee "white" clans and three "black" clans. The other three will be added in the initial release. There will be both a white and black clan added to the release along with a neutral clan. I am currently in Shaolin and I think I can only accept members of the white clans into my Heroband, but we'll see.

The soundtrack is good so far, I enjoy the Chinese flutes, guitars, and drums. It gives a more authentic feel to it.

The questing is also entertaining; it provides a good challenge once in a while as well as main story progression for your character.

The game has many visual aspects of it that make it unique because of the martial arts and scenery. The philosophy aspect is also very interesting, it's something the western world never really gets interested in, but is quite fascinating to learn what goes on over in Asia. I am personally a fan of the show Kung Fu and enjoy the wisdom that the Shaolin offer.

The content of this game is pretty acceptable. There's no bad language, no nudity, and no blood or gore. The game revolves around the ancient Chinese belief in Chi, the cosmic energy that governs the universe and what not. The game doesn't really push this belief on the player but it is the center of using your "vital energy", or in most games referred to as "magic" or "mana".

You can review each Clans belief on the web page: http://9dragons.acclaim.com/index.htm
(Go to the 'About 9D' section and click 'Clans')

The only Clan that offers disturbing material is the Heavenly Demon Clan. As it says on the web site; they use a perverted version of the white clan styles but add occultic rituals to it, and their leader "Heavenly Demon" was possessed by demons. Although offensive, some styles in ancient China DID involve this kind of thing.

So far I haven't encountered anything that has offended me other than the people playing the game of course....but thats of course 'normal' nowadays.

This is just my personal review, but anyone can read up on it on the official site or someone else's review site. Enjoy!

IMPORTANT NOTE!

At the moment I am not at the required level to begin a Heroband, I have 5 more levels to go and it will be up and running, but until then I will still be accepting members that are interested.

The only "stumbling block" I could see in 9Dragons, based on your review, would be the Eastern religious beliefs presented in the game. Having watched several anime series and Asian films, I don't take issue with a game including Eastern religious overtones, but would likely place some restrictions on gameplay or membership considering the content.

Perhaps we could allow only ToJ members that are 17 or over, or, if under 17, have their parents' consent to play the game? Though the game doesn't feature blood, gore, or nudity, it still features content that most Christian parents would not their young children exposed to.

It would logically follow not to form a heroband with members from the Heavenly Demon Clan you mentioned.

While we're still in the brainstorming phase, I'm leaning toward establishing a chapter for this game. :)

Yeehaw!

I totally agree on the age restrictions, very good idea. I'll have all the people on 9Dragons that want to join, come into ToJ first of course. It makes sense because they have to write their testimony to you and everything, so we know they are legit and not just pulling our leg.

I'm glad to hear you are interested Tek7, this will definitely benefit us both.

I've also been thinking of names for the Heroband, so far I like 'Warriors4Christ', hopefully the Heroband titles are allowed to have numbers. If not we'll just change the '4' to 'for' or something. I definitely want to involve God in our title some way. If some ToJ members wish to contribute titles, by all means go ahead and you have my thanks.

Last edited:
Sqweak!

Hi all I have been trying out 9Dragons. I cannot say if I will play it or not yet but should you see a MightyGerbil or MythicGerbil in game it's me. Any players who wish to post their in game name please do (so I could find you). Thank You.

Last edited:
UPDATE

I've just been informed that all Herobands can only consist of people within the same Clan. Due to this change, all people that would like to join my personal Heroband will have to be Shaolin. Although I will hopefully be leading this chapter, I hope to have people step up and create their own Heroband in Wu-Tang and League of Beggars later on, in conjunction with my own of course. This way, people are not restricted to just Shaolin.

ALSO

I'm going to need 5 people minimum to start the Heroband, so if anyone is interested let me know and we can talk. Hopefully we can get this thing moving in the next month.

Thanks everyone at ToJ and CGA!

I've played 9dragons since Oct5 in closed beta and I was a part of a hero band for league of beggars and it was an enjoyable thing I didn't like only being allowed 50 members in the band it really became a hard time to get new players when our band was always maxed out... just more to think about.

In GW we overcame the guild cap problem by creating a separate, allied guild which shares a chat channel. It's not a perfect solution, but it has worked for us within the framework of the game.

I'm interested in 9Dragons. Can you post a link to their website and instructions on how to download the open beta client?

the link

Here you go
http://9dragons.acclaim.com/
Just click on the "download" section of the website the instructions are there. You will have to register a account with them as well. Once installed you click on the 9 Dragons icon which will boot up their web page and you log in, then you start the game via a web site button (kind of weird if you ask me). All of which requires you to allow them to load a active X control in your web browser (but I really don't think a big company like Acclaim is going to have anything bad in it).

Tips to start are...
One, starting out look for the ! or ? on the mini map or about npc's heads which indicates a quest you can do or is in progress. (note they have added a new tutorial you can take at the beginning, it gets you some starting stuff and you get to hear a Asian girl try to pronounce "character" in her cute but probably appropriate for the game accent :p )

Two, once you join a clan you CANNOT change so make sure you pick the one you want, however, you will have several levels before you even get the option to join one.

Three, white and black clans are on separate maps almost all of the time and hostile towards each other (I'd imagine most of the Christian players will be in "White" clans) so choose accordingly. To heroband you must be even more specific and be in the same clan.

Four, don't worry too much about stat placement till you join a clan as you may re-distribute them twice (but only twice and at certain times) during the game. Really though you won't have magic skills till after you join a clan so there is no point to putting stats in wis or ess.

Five, some buffs can be leveled afk if you time how long it takes for your mp to run out and simply press the meditate button before it does. You may have to weight down a key depending on which buff you are leveling too. Releasing and weighting it down again after every meditate.

As far as classes go Wu-tang warriors seem to be the most popular clan and class so you may want to pick something else (I could not resist a sword though :p ) In addition each class has a different costly stat which costs a point more to level up than the others. Stats are strength, constitution, essence, dexterity and wisdom. I have only played a warrior but in general...

Warriors = Frontline guy tank etc. Every other class basically uses gloves or bracers as their weapons.

Mage = Has magical distance attacks but physically weak.

Hybrid = Has a little of everything but nothing really powerful. Supposed to be best loner build, IDK. They also have a couple of buffs that stack with the healer's buffs.

Healers = If you like helping people (really buffers in this game) are always needed but can't do much else. I found out the hard way healers don't function like healers in others games as they cannot continually heal someone. However in the few parties I was in people were always asking for buffs or heals so you will be a popular guy. Supposed to be tough to level though.

The web site forums have most of the answers you will need. These links may help you starting out.
http://phpbb.acclaim.com/9dragons/viewtopic.php?t=7183&highlight=builds+clans&sid=750aad22daaa715cf4aff7ee26f55f06
http://phpbb.acclaim.com/9dragons/viewtopic.php?t=1628&highlight=weapons+classes+warrior+healer+hybrid&sid=08ab95c542fa939414bb7d163a7458b3
http://phpbb.acclaim.com/9dragons/viewtopic.php?t=9146&highlight=builds+clans+white+tigers&sid=450043aed74d43afe5c1a959d0d53523

My likes about the game are...
it's free
you can actually save people in this game if they are dying (you don't have to be a healer just double click on anyone you see dying to help them out :) )
a larger multi server set up (like GW) as opposed to many singles servers (like Silkroad) but this may change.

My dislikes about the game...
It is a grind game (if you don't know what that means you will find out soon :p )
some objectable content (it will get much worse if they put in a global chat)
virtually a Silkroad clone

The game is still in beta so it could become better or worse by the time they finish it. I'd just play Guild Wars but I really dislike instances (I really like coming along and saving someone :) ). Anyway I myself have not decided if I like the game or not but it's free so you waste nothing but time trying it out...ahem :p

This site http://www.mmorpg.com/index.cfm?bhcp=1 has a lot of these little life eaters listed. While I don't expect amazing things from any free game it gets me how little originality any of these free games (or paid really) have. I'd guess everybody is unwilling to risk their money in a new and untested game idea.

Last edited:
I regret to announce there will be packages within the game that will cost something monthly. This is apparently what it is like in Korea with the full game. You can buy these packages with "Acclaim Points" from the website, which costs real money.

If this is truly how the game is going to be, then I must regretfully resign from starting a chapter. There will be people running around with virtual cash items from Acclaim and it will change the economy too much. This has happened with too many games already and it annoys me too much to let slip. I won't play a game where elite items are only available to people who are willing to spend real money for them, that's ridiculous for the people who want to play free.

At the moment I am playing WoWRevolution, a World of Warcraft free server, if anyone would like to come play, send me a PM and I can help you set it up.

Thank you all for the support, God bless.

Ah well I had not gotten attached to the game yet. I've played Silkroad and you can get almost everything of value free...it just takes a really really really really (one more) really long time :p Anyway I thought 9 Dragons economy would follow suit since it is so close to Silkroad. Maybe I'll try GW again but since my computer's been glitchy it's probably doesn't matter what I play :p Guess that solves the problem hehe :rolleyes: .

That how to keep a noob busy button has kept me busy for days by itself Armandus :p

Back